5 Airlines... no fees for carry-on bags

Old April 19th, 2010, 12:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
George Leppla

Default 5 Airlines... no fees for carry-on bags

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63H2GJ20100418

American, Jet Blue, United, US Airways and Delta are saying that they
will not start charging passengers for carry-on luggage.

I'm guessing the others won't be far behind... and Spirit Air will
re-think their policy.

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travel http://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster
Old April 19th, 2010, 12:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
George Leppla wrote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63H2GJ20100418

American, Jet Blue, United, US Airways and Delta are saying that they
will not start charging passengers for carry-on luggage.

I'm guessing the others won't be far behind... and Spirit Air will
re-think their policy.

The part that was most interesting was the threat that the
Congresscritters gave to the airlines. You enact the overhead charge and
we'll tax it.

--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
George Leppla wrote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63H2GJ20100418

American, Jet Blue, United, US Airways and Delta are saying that they
will not start charging passengers for carry-on luggage.

I'm guessing the others won't be far behind... and Spirit Air will
re-think their policy.

The part that was most interesting was the threat that the
Congresscritters gave to the airlines. You enact the overhead charge and
we'll tax it.

LOL! Kurt....Congress loves that Tax word!

--Jean

Old April 19th, 2010, 02:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
Pete Bertini

George Leppla wrote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63H2GJ20100418

American, Jet Blue, United, US Airways and Delta are saying that they
will not start charging passengers for carry-on luggage.

I'm guessing the others won't be far behind... and Spirit Air will
re-think their policy.

The part that was most interesting was the threat that the
Congresscritters gave to the airlines. You enact the overhead charge and
we'll tax it.

Greed knows no bounds...

Old April 19th, 2010, 02:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
BR Eagle

On Apr 18, 6:07*pm, George Leppla wrote:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63H2GJ20100418

American, Jet Blue, United, US Airways and Delta are saying that they
will not start charging passengers for carry-on luggage.

I'm guessing the others won't be far behind... and Spirit Air will
re-think their policy.

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travelhttp://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog *http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster

Free Market works, eh?
BR
"I'm planning on being more spontaneous in the future."
Old April 19th, 2010, 02:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
Ronald Emerson

On Apr 18, 7:07*pm, George Leppla wrote:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63H2GJ20100418

American, Jet Blue, United, US Airways and Delta are saying that they
will not start charging passengers for carry-on luggage.

I'm guessing the others won't be far behind... and Spirit Air will
re-think their policy.

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travelhttp://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog *http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster

This will probably be the longest thred in AVLV history because people
and dogs here will carry on and on about this! Ronald Emerson. Is it
June yet?
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
Double Down Now!

On Apr 18, 6:54*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:

* The part that was most interesting was the threat that the
Congresscritters gave to the airlines. You enact the overhead charge and
we'll tax it.

Strangely, I find myself siding with the airlines on this one as long
as they disclose the carry-on charge and the passenger is given the
option of NOT bringin' a carryon and in return getting a lower base
fare.

Old April 19th, 2010, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
ri

Double Down Now! wrote:
On Apr 18, 6:54 pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:

The part that was most interesting was the threat that the
Congresscritters gave to the airlines. You enact the overhead charge and
we'll tax it.

Strangely, I find myself siding with the airlines on this one as long
as they disclose the carry-on charge and the passenger is given the
option of NOT bringin' a carryon and in return getting a lower base
fare.

I feel, if they already have a fee on checked luggage, they need to let
you carry a bag on for free. My last business trip (late November), I
had an employee ship his luggage (in boxes) via UPS. He claimed it was
more convenient and cheaper than checking luggage for two weeks.
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
TaTa

On Apr 18, 7:07*pm, George Leppla wrote:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63H2GJ20100418

American, Jet Blue, United, US Airways and Delta are saying that they
will not start charging passengers for carry-on luggage.

I'm guessing the others won't be far behind... and Spirit Air will
re-think their policy.

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travelhttp://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog *http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster

George, far me it for me to disagree with you on this topic since you
have so much travel experience. But being a frequent Spirit customer,
I don't think they will rethink this policy. It seems like it's here
to stay.

I just booked a flight on Spirit and as a $9 Fare Club member, it's
less expensive ($15 per bag each way) for me to pay for a checked bag
vs $19 for a carry-on.

I have to say, when Spirit instituted the charge for checked luggage,
I was one of those who went out and bought the largest carry-on
suitcase allowed and traveled almost exclusively with that carry-on.
But so did everyone else. It got to be a real hassle with boarding
taking forever with those carry-ons. In fact, most of the time,
before boarding, Spirit would make an announcement that to "expedite
the boarding process" they were allowing those with carry-ons to check
in their bags for free. I guess so many people took advantage of this
that they decided to start charging.

I just wonder what the disruption (and costs) to the airlines with the
volcanic ash issue is going to do to prices in the near future. The
airlines are going to have to make up the $200 million/day that they
are currently losing and I'm guessing we (the consumer) will have to
pay the piper.

Jo-Ann

Old April 20th, 2010, 04:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
Las Vegas Don

On Apr 18, 5:07*pm, George Leppla wrote:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63H2GJ20100418

American, Jet Blue, United, US Airways and Delta are saying that they
will not start charging passengers for carry-on luggage.

I'm guessing the others won't be far behind... and Spirit Air will
re-think their policy.

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travelhttp://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog *http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster

Just the very fricken idea that an airline would charge you to bring
"A" is silly. I hope they know how many people (customers) they
****ed off as they spend quarters to chase pennies.

DOn