Free Wifi in the UK

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_5_]

Default Free Wifi in the UK

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:08:52 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:56:28 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

[using wi-fi]
The only thing I'm not sure of, (Because I'm far from a computer
expert), is how to send mail. Do you have to stay on the main server,
like Yahoo?
In the settings of the e-mail software in the device you use, you set
its SMTP, POP3 and/or IMAP server to the one you always use. In your
case that would probably be yahoo. I.e. do not change it.

If the server uses SMTP to send (as Demon does) you can't use it
unless your internet connection is directly to the host. Your
workaround is either to use your ISP's webmail service, if they
have one (Demon's is crap) or a webmail-only service, like Gmail
or Hotmail. I use Gmail when travelling and it works reasonably
well.

I use gmail all the time it works very well.

Martin,

Maybe I'm not explaining this right, (what's new). What I would like
to do is download my email into Mozilla Thunderbird. Shut the computer
off and go back to my hotel room. After reading the mail, I would like
to answer or forward and create new mail. Then the next day, go
somewhere, reconnect and have everything sent. Can I do this with
Gmail or Hotmail?

Cathy L
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

Jack Campin - bogus address:

[using wi-fi]
The only thing I'm not sure of, (Because I'm far from a computer
expert), is how to send mail. Do you have to stay on the main
server, like Yahoo?

In the settings of the e-mail software in the device you use, you
set its SMTP, POP3 and/or IMAP server to the one you always use.
In your case that would probably be yahoo. I.e. do not change it.

If the server uses SMTP to send (as Demon does) you can't use it
unless your internet connection is directly to the host.

That's a provider's setting.
Don't know what it's like in the UK, but the wlan facilities in German
McDonalds allows sending mails through SMTP servers that are different
from the connection provider's machines. In other words: at German
McDonalds, you can use your mail client (Outlook, Thunderbird, TheBat,
Sylpheed,...) the same way you use it at home.

I expect the facilities to be the same in the UK.
Old March 31st, 2010, 01:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
An Chor

Cathy L wrote:

Maybe I'm not explaining this right, (what's new).

Maybe you should shut up and quit expecting IT consulting on a
travel newgroup. Didn't you work for IBM? Or are you just as
stupid about computers as you are about everything else?

"Well, that pretty much does it. It looks like this newsgroup has gone
the way of the CB radio. It is ruined by a few people that, for some
strange reason, choose to belittle anyone that asks for help.

I trust you all enjoy each others warped sense of humor. Have a great
life."
Old March 31st, 2010, 01:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
An Chor

What a fantastic idea!

Old March 31st, 2010, 01:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
An Chor

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

**** off and die, ****.

Go ram an icepick in your eye, ****brain.

Old April 1st, 2010, 02:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_5_]

Cathy L wrote:

Maybe I'm not explaining this right, (what's new).

Maybe you should shut up and quit expecting IT consulting on a
travel newgroup. Didn't you work for IBM? Or are you just as
stupid about computers as you are about everything else?

"Well, that pretty much does it. It looks like this newsgroup has gone
the way of the CB radio. It is ruined by a few people that, for some
strange reason, choose to belittle anyone that asks for help.

I trust you all enjoy each others warped sense of humor. Have a great
life."

I take it you don't know the answer to my question.

Cathy L
Old April 1st, 2010, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
J'ai retrouvé mon chien...elle s'appelle runge

wrote:

She's martin's g/f and michaelnewport's sis, this explains that.
73's !!

"An Chor" a crit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
Cathy L wrote:

Maybe I'm not explaining this right, (what's new).

Maybe you should shut up and quit expecting IT consulting on a
travel newgroup. *Didn't you work for IBM? *Or are you just as
stupid about computers as you are about everything else?

"Well, that pretty much does it. It looks like this newsgroup has gone
the way of the CB radio. It is ruined by a few people that, for some
strange reason, choose to belittle anyone that asks for help.

I trust you all enjoy each others warped sense of humor. Have a great
life."

I take it you don't know the answer to my question.

Cathy L

Cathy L you deserve Runge....;-))

Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
An Chor

mikeos wrote:

Foxtrot Oscar!

Echo Sierra Alpha Delta.