Western States Trip - Suggestions ??

Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:32 AM
MadHatter

Default Western States Trip - Suggestions ??

Again, this is backwards. Check out Los Lobos Nature Preserve.

Shouldn't that be Point Lobos?
Old April 2nd, 2004, 06:01 AM
Susan Wachob

Dea Christian,

This trip really doesn't sound like very much fun. Mostly driving.
You've got a list of very interesting places and will have almost no
time to see any of them! You'll barely even have time for eating- much
less traffic jams, road closures, bathroom breaks- anything!

Do something like driving up the coast and end up at Yosemite. That way
you can spend more time at Hearst Castle and Big Sur, San Francisco and
finally Yosemite (may need to stay in one of the motels nearby- but not
so bad). Forget the Grand Canyon, the SW and Las Vegas for now. Or make
some other kind of cut down plans that leaves out some other geographic
chunk.

You have a great chance to have a lovely vacation. I hope you don't
substitute a 14 day driving marathon!

Susan

Nielsen wrote:
Updated Route
This route is a bit more detailed......hope that'll help you, help me.
Family are all adults - Know there will be alot of driving.............
I took out Zion, and the way it is now, I have an extra day to put in, where
ever you think.
My family have allready been to Universal Studios, Disneyland etc. before me
meet up i LA.

Please let me know what to "drop" and what to "add"

Thanks!
Christian Nielsen

Day 1
Arrive at: Leave at: Place to visit:
09.00 12.00 Beverly Hills
13.00 16.00 Venice Beach
17.30 19.30 Malibu
21.30 Solvang

Night: Motel in Solvang

Day 2
Arrive at: Leave at: Place to visit:
08.00 Solvang
11.00 15.00 Hearst Castle
17.00 Big Sur

Night: Campground near Big Sur

Day 3
Arrive at: Leave at: Place to visit:
09.00 Big Sur
10.00 12.00 Carmel
12.00 13.00 17 Mile Drive
13.00 18.00 Monteray Bay Aquraium
21.00 Antioch

Night: Family

Day 4
Arrive at: Leave at: Place to visit:
08.00 Antioch
9.00 20.00 San Francisco
21.00 Antioch

Night: Family

Day 5
Arrive at: Leave at: Place to visit:
08.00 Antioch
08.30 Vine Country (Napa)
10.00 St. Helena
17.00 17.30 San Francisco
19.00 Antioch

Night: Family

Day 6
Arrive at: Leave at: Place to visit:
08.00 Antioch
08.10 10.00 Delta Road
12.00 Highway 49
19.00 Jamestown

Night: Motel

Day 7
Arrive at: Leave at: Place to visit:
08.00 Jamestown
10.30 Yosemite Valley, Hike

Night: Campground

Day 8
Arrive at: Leave at: Place to visit:
06.00 Yosemite Valley
07.00 12.00 Glacier Point, Hike
16.00 Toulumne Meadows, Hike

Night Campground

Day 9
Arrive at: Leave at: Place to visit:
08.00 Toulumne Meadows
11.00 11.30 Bishop
14.30 16.00 Death Valley
19.00 Las Vegas

Night Hotel

Day 10
Arrive at: Leave at: Place to visit:
10.00 Las Vegas
11.00 13.00 Hover Dam
18.00 Grand Canyon Village, See Sunset

Night Campground

Day 11
Arrive at: Leave at: Place to visit:
06.00 Grand Canyon Village, See Sunrise
06.20 12.00 Grand Canyon, Sunrise, Hike
13.00 Desert View

Night Campground

Day 12
Arrive at: Leave at: Place to visit:
06.00 Desert View
07.30 Navajo Indian Reservation
10.00 10.30 Flagstaff
12.00 15.00 Sedona
18.00 Gilbert

Night Family

Day 13
Arrive at: Leave at: Place to visit:
Visit Friends & Family

Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:31 PM
User 1.nospam

Another suggestion....make as many reservations ahead of time as you can.
Online if possible and take copies of each with you.

Example: Hearst Castle. If you want to be sure to keep your time schedule,
you need to have your tickets in-hand for the time you want. You can buy
them online. I have seen up to a 4 hour wait for tickets, and in hi season,
the whole day can be booked.

The same holds true for Yosemite campgrounds....if I were planning this
trip, I would already have (tried) my reservations fully paid in and
in-hand.

. ..

Old April 3rd, 2004, 04:19 PM
d w a c o n

"User 1.nospam" wrote in message
Another suggestion....make as many reservations ahead of time as you can.
Online if possible and take copies of each with you.

Have you considered a Winnebago?

--
The generation that used acid to escape reality
Is now using antacid to deal with reality

Old April 3rd, 2004, 05:15 PM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

d w a c o n wrote:

"User 1.nospam" wrote in message

Another suggestion....make as many reservations ahead of time as you can.
Online if possible and take copies of each with you.

Have you considered a Winnebago?

He’d still need reservations for Yosemite, Big Sur, etc.