National Parks

Old March 11th, 2004, 02:59 PM
philip

Default National Parks

I am from Hong Kong and is planning to visit the following National Parks -

Yellowstone National Park
Grand Teton National Park

Grand Canyon National Park

Arches National Park

Bryce's Canyon National Park

Zion National Park

Yosemite National Park

I shall start from Salt Lake City. Could someone tell me the optimized
travel plan to visit all these 7 national parks. Thanks.

Old March 12th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article , "philip"
wrote:

I am from Hong Kong and is planning to visit the following National Parks -

Yellowstone National Park
Grand Teton National Park

Grand Canyon National Park

Arches National Park

Bryce's Canyon National Park

Zion National Park

Yosemite National Park

I shall start from Salt Lake City. Could someone tell me the optimized
travel plan to visit all these 7 national parks. Thanks.

How long do you have? That's a lot of driving.

Yellowstone-Grand Teton can be done in 2 hours (park exit to park
entrance)

From there, it's down to Arches (a full day's drive). Bryce & Zion are
about 4-6 hours away. About 6 hours too to the north rim of Grand
Canyon. From there, at least a full day's drive to Yosemite (can pass
Bryce and Zion on your way there.

If starting from SFO, I
d say at least 1 1/2 days to drive to Yosemite.
Old March 12th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Icono Clast

"philip" wrote:
Yellowstone National Park
Grand Teton National Park
Grand Canyon National Park
Arches National Park
Bryce's Canyon National Park
Zion National Park

If you're going in Summer, it won't matter much which route you take
as it will be very hot everywhere. If you're going in the Spring, I
recommend going North first in order to see the snow. If you're going
in the Autumn, I still recommend going North first in order to avoid
the worst of the heat.

Yosemite National Park

Yosemite is more than a thousand kilometres distant from the closest
of the other parks. I recommend you don't try to visit it this trip.
But I do recommend you spend some time around Moab, Utah, as it fits
in very well with the theme and geography of your trip.

I shall start from Salt Lake City.

A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old March 12th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Keith Willshaw

"philip" wrote in message
I am from Hong Kong and is planning to visit the following National

Parks -

Yellowstone National Park
Grand Teton National Park

Grand Canyon National Park

Arches National Park

Bryce's Canyon National Park

Zion National Park

Yosemite National Park

I shall start from Salt Lake City. Could someone tell me the optimized
travel plan to visit all these 7 national parks. Thanks.

From SLC Drive North up I-15 to Idaho Falls then take
US-20 to West Yelowstone. This is approx a 6-7 hour drive

From Yellowstone its only a 2-3 hour drive South to Grand Teton NP

From Grand Teton NP you have two options

The Fastest way to Moab Utah which is a good base for both Arches NP and
Canyonlands NP is to get back on to I-15 and drive South until you hit
I-70 which you follow until the US-191 to Moab.This is about a 10 hr drive

Alternatively you could take US189/191 to Rock Springs, through the
Flaming Gorge Recreational Area to Vernal Utah befor picking up
US 40 and US 64 through Dinosaur and Rangely before picking up
US 139 to I-70

This is slower but very scenic and would give you a chance to visit
Dinosaur National Monument. Allow 2 days for this option

From Moab drive south down 191 through Monticello , Blanding, Mexican Hat
and Kayenta allowing time to visit Monument Valley.
From there its an easy drive to Grand Canyon NP

From Grand Canyon NP head via Page towards Zion and
Bryce .

From Zion/Bryce get back on to I-15 and drive
West to Barstow, from there take SR-58 to
Bakersfield and the US-395 North and finaly
SR-120 East to Yosemite

This is a LONG trip and if you plan to go back from
Salt Lake City I'd advise omitting Yosemite as its going
to add several days driving

Keith

Old March 12th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

Keith Willshaw wrote:

"philip" wrote in message

I am from Hong Kong and is planning to visit the following National

Parks -

[...]

Zion National Park

Yosemite National Park

From Zion/Bryce get back on to I-15 and drive
West to Barstow, from there take SR-58 to
Bakersfield and the US-395 North and finaly
SR-120 East to Yosemite

This is confused. If you go to Bakersfield you'd take California route
99 north to CA-120 east. Taking US 395 north to Yosemite from (just
west of) Barstow will be a far more scenic route, BUT it can only be
done after Tioga Pass opens in late May to mid-June.

You can also get to US395 by going through Death Valley National Park,
but this will probably take longer than going down to Barstow, as you
will be crossing several mountain ranges into and out of DV.

This is a LONG trip and if you plan to go back from
Salt Lake City I'd advise omitting Yosemite as its going
to add several days driving

Yes, whichever route you take, it's a long drive. The _shortest_ route
would be to go north from Las Vegas on US95, Nevada State Routes
266/264, US6 to CA120 west. This is the route Mapquest returns, and
it's well over 500 miles and 12 hours driving.
Old March 13th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Carmen L. Abruzzi" wrote in message
Keith Willshaw wrote:

"philip" wrote in message

I am from Hong Kong and is planning to visit the following National

Parks -

[...]

Zion National Park

Yosemite National Park

From Zion/Bryce get back on to I-15 and drive
West to Barstow, from there take SR-58 to
Bakersfield and the US-395 North and finaly
SR-120 East to Yosemite

This is confused. If you go to Bakersfield you'd take California route
99 north to CA-120 east. Taking US 395 north to Yosemite from (just
west of) Barstow will be a far more scenic route, BUT it can only be
done after Tioga Pass opens in late May to mid-June.

Yeah I misplaced the numbers

Keith

Old March 13th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Brian

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

From SLC Drive North up I-15 to Idaho Falls then take
US-20 to West Yelowstone. This is approx a 6-7 hour drive

We drove from the McDonald's near Antelope Island to W. Yellowstone in
about 4 1/2 hours without driving all that fast. Even hit some
construction.

From Yellowstone its only a 2-3 hour drive South to Grand Teton NP

That's a little misleading. The two parks actually almost meet at he
borders. Yellowstone is very large and it can easily take hours to
drive from one end to another.
The Grand Tetons are beautiful but it doesn't take that much time to
see it unless you plan on hiking or perhaps setting up and painting.
We pretty much saw what we wanted to in 3/4 day including taking the
boat across Jackson Lake and doing a little hiking on the other side.
I'd recommend the boat ride.
Old March 13th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Brian" wrote in message
news
"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

From SLC Drive North up I-15 to Idaho Falls then take
US-20 to West Yelowstone. This is approx a 6-7 hour drive

We drove from the McDonald's near Antelope Island to W. Yellowstone in
about 4 1/2 hours without driving all that fast. Even hit some
construction.

From Yellowstone its only a 2-3 hour drive South to Grand Teton NP

That's a little misleading. The two parks actually almost meet at he
borders. Yellowstone is very large and it can easily take hours to
drive from one end to another.

Quite so , when I drove from central Yellowstone to Grand Teton NP
it took me 2 and half hours

The Grand Tetons are beautiful but it doesn't take that much time to
see it unless you plan on hiking or perhaps setting up and painting.
We pretty much saw what we wanted to in 3/4 day including taking the
boat across Jackson Lake and doing a little hiking on the other side.
I'd recommend the boat ride.

Absolutely

Keith