Palace on wheels

Old July 13th, 2008, 08:56 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Guglup

Default Palace on wheels

"Guglup" wrote in message

"Alan S" wrote in message

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com

Alan,
The information about indian cases on your travelouge
isn't correct.

From the site
There seems to be one major manufacturer of cars in
India - Tata. For about half a century one car was the
flagship of the fleet, the Ambassador.

Tata Motors got into car manufacturing very recently
- the late 90's. Till then they were mainly manufacturing
trucks.

The Ambassador is manufactured by Hindustan
Motors. Ambassador(by HM) & the Padmini(manufactured
by Premier Motos) used to be the only 2 cars you could
see in India earlier. In the 80's, Maruti Suzuki, a joint venture
between the Indian Govt & Suzuki came in & turned the market
on it's head. Maruti is still #1 in the local car market. Tata
Motors is probably #2. Hyundai may be #3. Rest of the market
is Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Ford, Hindustan Motors, Mahindra etc.
Also Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Nissan etc.

Tata Motors got into the car market mainly in the
late 90's with the Indica which is very popular

Hindustan Motors still sells around 50-60 thousand

Sorry that should 5-10 thousand.

new Ambassadors every year which still looks the
same from outside. They also manufacture & sell
the Mitsubishi Lancer/Cedia etc.

Premier doesn't sell cars anymore.

Old July 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"Guglup" wrote in message

"grusl" wrote in message

Sainik. It means soldier.

I keep hearing a sort of "Pompey" pronunciation that could pass for
either. Maybe it's my ears.

You are probably referring to "Bambai".

Thanks but, no, I'm not. I'm referring to when people try to say both names
at the same time so as not to offend anyone.

It's all politically dressed-up Portuguese, anyway.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old July 13th, 2008, 01:38 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 13:23:57 +0530, "Guglup"
wrote:

"Alan S" wrote in message
.. .

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: On Indian Roads

Alan,
The information about indian cases on your travelouge
isn't correct.

From the site
[...]

Thanks for the correction and clarification. I was obviously
mis-informed:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old July 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 13:23:57 +0530, "Guglup"
wrote:

"Alan S" wrote in message
. ..

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: On Indian Roads

Alan,
The information about indian cases on your travelouge
isn't correct.

From the site
[...]

The Ambassadors are almost all bought by the government and used as official
cars.

Which somehow seems a cruel and unusual punishment for honesty, the crooked
officials usually dump them and buy Toyota Land Cruisers...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old September 29th, 2012, 09:05 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Sunday, 6 July 2008 01:54:55 UTC+5:30, anna wrote:
I am looking for any input on the Palace on wheels in India.

If anyone has been on it, would you please let us all now.

I would imagine Dec is a good time to go on it ...correct ?

We have 2 sons- 16 and 13. I am wondering if it will be fine for
boys of this age ?

Since we are from the US, we would like to do a trip which is
organized as opposed to experimenting by ourselves. Any coach tour or
other organized tour will work fine for us.

We have already been to India 4 years ago and saw Delhi and the Taj
etc.
So this time we want to do something different.
Any ideas / suggestions ?

Best,

Anna

Hi Anna,