Holland America Search & Rescue

Old February 20th, 2006, 08:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Holland America Search & Rescue

My brother-in-law, Lee, was on a flight to San Diego last night. He
sat next to some people who were going on a cruise to Hawaii on Holland
America.

I don't recall if he said they were supposed to board the ship tonight
or tomorrow, but the people will be delayed by a day.

They told Lee that the cruise line was paying for their hotel stay in
San Diego, because Holland America was involved in a search and rescue
operation.

Lee said they didn't have any details as to where this seach was, or if
it involved a passenger, or someone on another boat, or what happened.

Has anybody heard anything about this?

Old February 20th, 2006, 09:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 02:55:08 -0500, (franvd) wrote:
My brother-in-law, Lee, was on a flight to San Diego last night. He
sat next to some people who were going on a cruise to Hawaii on Holland
America.
I don't recall if he said they were supposed to board the ship tonight
or tomorrow, but the people will be delayed by a day.
They told Lee that the cruise line was paying for their hotel stay in
San Diego, because Holland America was involved in a search and rescue
operation.
Lee said they didn't have any details as to where this seach was, or if
it involved a passenger, or someone on another boat, or what happened.
Has anybody heard anything about this?

Yes, a crew member fell overboard on HAL's Amsterdam and is still
missing:

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

February 19
Amsterdam
Holland America Line A 30 year old crew member (galley worker)
apparently fell overboard early Friday about 1100 miles northeast of
Hilo. The ship was assisted by the Coast Guard in a search, which was
called off mid-day on Saturday. The ship is now en route to San Diego
and will arrive one day later than scheduled.

Carnival Tropicale 1982
NCL Dawn 2004
HAL Noordam 2004
HAL Rotterdam 2005
NCL Dawn 2006

Baltic Cruising 2005: http://www.hwired.com/baltic/index.html
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

franvd wrote:
My brother-in-law, Lee, was on a flight to San Diego last night. He
sat next to some people who were going on a cruise to Hawaii on Holland
America.

I don't recall if he said they were supposed to board the ship tonight
or tomorrow, but the people will be delayed by a day.

They told Lee that the cruise line was paying for their hotel stay in
San Diego, because Holland America was involved in a search and rescue
operation.

Lee said they didn't have any details as to where this seach was, or if
it involved a passenger, or someone on another boat, or what happened.

Has anybody heard anything about this?

Take a look at this link from Hawaii

http://kgmb9.com/kgmb/display.cfm?storyID=7287

Phil

--
Seacruise http://www.seacruisechat.com
Canal Cam and Schedule http://www.seacruisechat.com/panamacanal/

Humour for the thinking person:
1) If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?
2) Why do banks charge you a "non-sufficient funds fee" on money they
already
know you do not have?
Old February 20th, 2006, 06:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

As of 9:30AM PT the MS Amsterdam has not reached San Diego.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old February 21st, 2006, 12:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Talk about messing up a schedule. HAL's Amsterdam was due to sail for
Hawaii at 5PM this afternoon, which is two hours from now, but the San Diego
port cam shows that the ship has not arrived yet.

In light of the recent Cunard debacle, I wonder how this will be handled.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old February 21st, 2006, 02:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thanks everyone for the replies. I hope they are able to determine what
happened to the
employee.

==========================

Old February 21st, 2006, 07:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Even though the hour is late, I hope that they were able to do a rescue
and not a recovery.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

On 2/20/06 8:26 PM franvd consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:

Old February 21st, 2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Dick G. wrote:
Talk about messing up a schedule. HAL's Amsterdam was due to sail for
Hawaii at 5PM this afternoon, which is two hours from now, but the San Diego
port cam shows that the ship has not arrived yet.

In light of the recent Cunard debacle, I wonder how this will be handled.

It is now 8:25 am on the west coast and the MS Amsterdam is now docked
in San Diego along with the World and a RCI ship.

Phil

Old February 22nd, 2006, 05:22 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I don't mean to be insensitive to the lost crewmember, but in 1997 we sailed
to Hawaii on Statendam out of Long Beach and had to return to San Diego
because of an injury to a passenger.

It isn't like we are behind, so instead of 20kph, we will do 40kph to make
up lost time.

That isn't the way it works, and this cruise is doomed to fail to make its
itinerary.

So what does it do? In 1997 our cruise refunded the money for the failed
tours and that was that.

But has Cunard, a Carnival company, set the standard?

What will HAL do when the passengers on Amsterdam bitch?
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ