Going to Wal-Mart while in Port

Old March 27th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:35:12 -0500, "E.k.R."
wrote:

It seems Wal-Mart builds (at least in Atlanta) in the
lower income areas (where they have little retaliation). When they try to
build anywhere half way decent they get bombarded with angry protesters and
political roadblocks.

Hi Ernie,

I find this discussion amusing because they tried to build a Target on
the outskirts of Santa Barbara. The city fathers and mothers would
not have any of it. BTW, there were protests organized by some of our
"locals" that wanted to see a Target. "No way, Jose" g said our
politicos.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Ruben Holguin

i am going on a cruise next week..i am flying in the day before so i can
check out the Dollar Stores in the Tampa area. Our first port is Key
West...gonna do the same thing there. You know you are in bad shape when you
go to a Dollar Store, and say "Wow this is a nice item...I'm gonna come back
and get this on payday"
Ruben
(tongue planted firmly in cheek.)

"E.k.R." wrote in message
. ..

"Karen Segboer" wrote in message

This sounds wretched. I'm really glad I asked. I learn more here
about just plain ol' life as I do about cruising.

Karen,
who bought socks and Peeps at her local Target store on Friday

Thankfully there is no Wal-Mart near me. Maybe 20 minutes away is the
closest one and I sure as hell wouldn't go out of my way to shop at one.
Wal-Mart once tried to build one not too far from my current house and the
neighborhood coalition would not have it. Smart people. Instead we have
an upscale outdoor shopping center with a Banana Republic, Bombay, Barnes
& Noble, etc. Target is only a 1/2 mile away and there are no problems.
It's a beautiful store. It seems Wal-Mart builds (at least in Atlanta) in
the lower income areas (where they have little retaliation). When they
try to build anywhere half way decent they get bombarded with angry
protesters and political roadblocks. I've found a world of difference
between Target and Wal-Mart, although both stores are targeted at the
budget consumer.

Ernie

Old March 27th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Dick Goldhaber wrote:

It is the only store in the United States that has told us every time we go
there that we cannot bring a clearly marked "Service Dog" into their store.
Not once, not twice, but for seven years.

I thought by law they had to allow service dog?

sue

Old March 27th, 2005, 09:57 PM
E.k.R.

"Chrissy Cruiser" wrote in message

Which one are you going to? Off Riverdale? There are perfectly acceptable
WalMart's all over the Metro, Ernie.

I live on the Northside ... Cobb County. I've never been to Riverdale Rd
(no reason to), although I know it's down by the airport somewhere.
Probably not the best part of town from what people tell me.

Thankfully I have no reason to go to a Wal-Mart, so I probably never will
again. There are much better options for me to shop at IMO. I actually
found my one visit to a Wal-Mart rather depressing. The store was
depressing and so were most of the people shopping there. It was certainly
not a pleasurable experience, and since I don't like shopping to begin with
it will take something far better than Wal-Mart to get me motivated. If
others like it, that's fine. It's just not for me.

People say that Target is more
expensive than Wal-Mart.

It is.

And worth every additional cent!

Ernie

Old March 27th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Marsha L

I belonged to Costco in NJ and kept my membership when I moved here even
though Sam's Club is closer. I "usually" love Costco.

"Karen Segboer" wrote in message

I forgot about Costco! We have one locally (about ten miles from our
house) and it's always jammin'. If anyone has a bargain, it's usually
from Costco. Sam's Club doesn't get as much traffic and it's the same
kind of warehouse store.

Karen

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews ®
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

Old March 27th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Marsha L

Ah yes... Short Hills Mall... the only shopping mall I used to "dress up" to
go to!

"Karen Segboer" wrote in message

I'd like something like that close by, but everybody around these
parts goes to Short Hills Mall (VERY toney and upscale,) Riverside
Park Mall, Paramus Park Mall or Garden State Mall. That's where the
stores you mentioned are located, plus the biggies like Neiman Marcus,
Nordstroms, Macy's, JC Penney's and Sears.

Karen,
living in the Mall Capital of the World.