Greek Island Hopping Advice Sought

Old April 5th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Mike Lane

Default Greek Island Hopping Advice Sought

Tony Day wrote:

But prices vary enormously. Expect to pay twice as much for everything on,
for instance, Rhodes (maybe three times as much in a good restaurant) as on
a small nearby island such as Nissiros. I would say that, apart from busy
tourist centres on such as Mykonos or Santorini, prices are still very
reasonable. You should find accommodation for 15 euros a night or so, out
of high season at least.

It depends rather on what kind of accomodation you are talking about. I
have found for a reasonably comfortable double room with bath the going
rate is around 30 euros. This normally includes basic equipment such as
fridge and cooking facilities.

The Three Brothers hotel on Nissiros was charging 25/30 euros last year
in October for a double room with bath. This did include breakfast as
far as I remember.

--
Mike Lane, North Yorkshire, UK.
To reply by email replace 'invalid' by mikeunderscorelane
Old April 5th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Mike Lane

Tony Day wrote:

That's a good piece of advice if you want to be sure of not being affected
by one of the strikes that not uncommonly delay sailings. Another tactic
is to make your last hop accessible to Athens by both ferry and some
other mode of transport ("Flying Dolphin" etc)

Agree - and if you do get back to Piraeus a day early and don't fancy the
mainland there are frequent dolphins to nearby Aegena, which is at least an
island, if not the most beautiful one!

I favour Poros as a last stop. There are good connections to Piraeus by
ferry and Dolphin. As a last resort in case of ferry strikes etc it's a
10 minute trip by taxi boat to the mainland where you can get a bus back
to Athens.

Old April 5th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Tony Day

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
. ..
Tony Day wrote:

[...]

Prices do vary a bit with the facilities, but I haven't paid that much, even
for apartments on Santorini and Mykonos!

On Nissiros we found a room - basic but clean - for, I believe, 12 euros. It
overlooked the harbour and we watched our ferry depart from the window as we
unpacked, it was that quick and easy! That was early June last year.

Tony

Old April 5th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Tony Day

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
.. .
Tony Day wrote:

That's a good piece of advice if you want to be sure of not being

affected
by one of the strikes that not uncommonly delay sailings. Another

tactic
is to make your last hop accessible to Athens by both ferry and some
other mode of transport ("Flying Dolphin" etc)

Agree - and if you do get back to Piraeus a day early and don't fancy

the
mainland there are frequent dolphins to nearby Aegena, which is at least

an
island, if not the most beautiful one!

I favour Poros as a last stop. There are good connections to Piraeus by
ferry and Dolphin. As a last resort in case of ferry strikes etc it's a
10 minute trip by taxi boat to the mainland where you can get a bus back
to Athens.

Thanks, I must try that!

Tony

Old April 5th, 2004, 08:13 PM

Not a fan of Aegena, prefer Hydra and Poros as a last stop. This book
is a good guide for this kind of thing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ESSE%3AIT&rd=1

Just try to remember all the islands are unique, and if you like 1,
you may like them all.

Arman