Advice on how long it will take me to drive from SF to Santa Monica

Old January 15th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Hatunen

Default Advice on how long it will take me to drive from SF to Santa Monica

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 05:51:05 GMT, Doug McClure
wrote:

Ben has a good point. And I'll add to what someone else mentioned.

You will find traffic jams as you leave SF, probably until you get
south of San Jose or so.

Unless, of course, you follow the coast route all the way. The
San Mateo Coast between SF and Santa Cruz is quite pretty and
frequently overlooked.

Old January 15th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Icono Clast

McKerron wrote:
how long it will take . . . to drive from SF to Santa Monica
using the coast road

Twelve hours.
A San Franciscan in 47.335 mile² San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old January 15th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Me

In article ,
McKerron wrote:

Can anyone please advise me on how long it will take for me and my wife
to drive from SF to Santa Monica using the coast road as much as
possible we will be travalling in early August 2004 and I was hopping to
do it in 1 day if possible. Any advice welcome as this is our first trip
to the East Coast.

If you drive straight through and the traffic conditions are light, you
can do it in about eight hours. I suggest you spend a day or two on this
ride. Pick a little town such as Carmel and stay over night there. If
you are just going to rush through the drive, you might as well save
yourself the time and effort and fly.
Old January 15th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:31:14 -0500 Me wrote:

:In article ,
: McKerron wrote:

: Can anyone please advise me on how long it will take for me and my wife
: to drive from SF to Santa Monica using the coast road as much as
: possible we will be travalling in early August 2004 and I was hopping to
: do it in 1 day if possible. Any advice welcome as this is our first trip
: to the East Coast.

:If you drive straight through and the traffic conditions are light, you
:can do it in about eight hours. I suggest you spend a day or two on this
:ride. Pick a little town such as Carmel and stay over night there. If
:you are just going to rush through the drive, you might as well save
:yourself the time and effort and fly.

Correct.

Though one can also do the 5 which will be a lot faster.

The only real reason to do the coast is because one is not rushing.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old January 15th, 2004, 10:46 PM
CoastWatcher

Bottom line...yes you can do it in one day but it will be a long day.
Done it lots of times but when time is a factor I usually take the I5.