Cross Country

Old January 15th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Doug McClure

Default Cross Country

Maybe you can help us out further by telling us when you are
traveling, how many you are traveling with (and their ages if they are
young kids), and what interests you.

For example, New Orleans is probably much too hot in the summer and I
don't think it's a good stop for youngsters. Much of the south will be
hot and humid in the summer and this may be hard for someone from the
UK to adjust to.

Are you interested in National Parks? US History? Museums? Beaches?
Music? Gambling? Fine Dining? Etc. There must be books in your local
library on US National Parks that can give you an idea of which you
would live to visit. However, the most popular ones may be really
crowded and you might need advance tickets.

US gasoline prices will probably be absurdly cheap compared to those
prices you are accustomed to in the UK. But on the other hand, US cars
might not get the good mileage that you are used to, either.

You might consider joining the AAA (American Automobile Association).
This will get you free maps and tour books, trip planning advice, some
discounts, and some roadside assistance -- however I expect that most
of the bigger car rental agencies will also offer 24-hour assistance.
I can't think of any reason why a foreigner can't join. I suppose you
could join via the Internet, but you won't be able to get their maps
and books until you arrive in the US (unless you pay for pastage?). I
think AAA will cost $50, maybe $75.

The AAA tour books will give you lists of recommended lodging with
approximate prices and facilities. AAA also lists restaurants but I
think this part of the guidebooks is very weak. The also give you
lists of sites in each city with a brief description, hours, fees,
discounts, etc.

The US doesn't have anything like the Bed and Breakfast system in the
UK, so you will probably rely on inexpensive motels and hotels. In the
US, B&B's will be not be bargains like they can be in the UK.

If you know your exact schedule you might try Priceline.com to rent a
car -- after all, you might not really care what company you're
dealing with. Be careful with prices because it's often MUCH more
expensive if you don't return the car to the location where you
originally rented it).

I was in the UK maybe 10 years ago. It's my recollection that road
signage is far superior in the UK. I think the UK motorways were
better maintained also. I chose not to drive in London and there are
some US cities that you might not want or need to drive in (New York,
Washington DC, New Orleans French Quarter). I also think the RAC
guidebooks are better than US guidebooks.

Enjoy your trip but don't try to do too much!

DKM

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:44:20 +0000, Geoff Pedder
wrote:

I'm planning a trip driving from Los Angeles to New York City, I live in
the UK. I've checked out flights and car hire but I could do with some
advice.

How long would a fairly relaxed journey with time enough to detour
slightly take? I was planning on three weeks. Has anyone done a similar
journey?

I don't know what I should check out in particular. I would like to see
some sights that are a little different that the usual tourist traps.
Any advice?

Any survival tips would be cool, like how easy is it to navigate US
cities in a car, how expensive is a gallon of gas, should I book hotels
in advance or just turn up at motels, basically anything like that.

It seems daunting to plan this stuff right now but I'm determined not to
wimp out and go to Spain!

Regards

Geoff Pedder

To contact me directly, send EMAIL to (single letters all)
DEE KAY EMM AT CEE TEE ESS D0T CEE OH EMM