Outback Highway?

Old July 26th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Geodyne

Default Outback Highway?

Have just decided to take the Outback Highway, from Yulara in NT to
Lenora in WA, and then on to Geraldton next month.

Has anyone done the trip recently, and can recommend areas to see or
things to avoid?

Geodyne
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Roger Martin

Try aus.cars.offroad who may have more recent info.

Old July 26th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Roger Martin

Try aus.cars.offroad who may have more recent info.

Old July 26th, 2004, 04:02 PM

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:44:27 +1000, Geodyne wrote:

Have just decided to take the Outback Highway, from Yulara in NT to
Lenora in WA, and then on to Geraldton next month.

Has anyone done the trip recently, and can recommend areas to see or
things to avoid?

Geodyne

Have a look here http://www.exploroz.com.au/Splash.asp

My niece and her hubby did it a few months back, camping in tents etc
in a cruiser with six (6) kids.

They were game..... 8 in one car...... as well as the camping gear and
other stuff

By all accounts they had a great time and not too many problems.

Old July 27th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Geodyne

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:00:03 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

If you mean (part of) the Gunbarrel, you are in for a true classic. Whole
books have been written about this (and in the case of the bloke behind it,
Len Beadell, six books which are mandatory reading). Good starts are Ron
and Viv Moon's "Discover Australia by 4WD" and Penguin/BPs Explore Australia
by 4WD. Most importantly, they will teach you that it is a very serious
trek, requiring proper preparation and driving technique, time, equipment,
and perhaps most importantly RESPECT for this road. I have a photo in my
office of my Troopie bogged to the boards in Mungili Claypan, and another
(at the junction of the Heather Highway) of washaways to my knees. And
those were in good conditions, which can change dramatically, suddenly, and
seriously.

But with all the homework I mention, it is one of the greatest adventures on
earth.

I've read about the Gunbarrel and I'd LOVE to do it one day, but I
don't have the right gear to brave it this time around. I'll only be
taking the Gunbarrel as far as Giles Weather station, then taking the
graded highway SW to Lenora. The Gunbarrel turns off to the west just
after the weather station.

Geodyne