Amsterdam: tram strippenkart: do I need one?

Old September 23rd, 2003, 02:38 PM
Dennis G. Rears

Default Amsterdam: tram strippenkart: do I need one?

"Sjoerd" wrote in message

They do expi 12 months after the price changes. (normally every year

on
January 1)

Do they still offer 3 or 4 day passes? If so what is the cost?

dennis

Old September 23rd, 2003, 10:13 PM
Ben Birkner

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in message ...
"Sjoerd" wrote in message

They do expi 12 months after the price changes. (normally every year

on
January 1)

Do they still offer 3 or 4 day passes? If so what is the cost?

dennis

Yes, they do! A 3 day Amsterdam pass is 19 Euro,
4 days are 23 Euro, but you can go up to 9 days,
which will end up in 43 Euros. Go for this pass:
not only to get back to your hotel after a long day,
you're also motivated to touch outer districts,
which are well worth seeing.

Check http://www.apti.is.nl/fares_en.html#gvbdagkaart

Ben.
Old September 24th, 2003, 04:15 AM
LRZ

"Sjoerd" wrote in message

They do expi 12 months after the price changes. (normally every year

on
January 1)

Do they still offer 3 or 4 day passes? If so what is the cost?

dennis

Yes, they do! A 3 day Amsterdam pass is 19 Euro,
4 days are 23 Euro, but you can go up to 9 days,
which will end up in 43 Euros. Go for this pass:
not only to get back to your hotel after a long day,
you're also motivated to touch outer districts,
which are well worth seeing.

Check
http://www.apti.is.nl/fares_en.html#gvbdagkaart

Ben.

Careful with the apti site. That site is way outdated, those prices
quoted above are in Nederland Guilders from 2001.

Another recent post I read quoted Dagkaart prices around EUR 3.50 to
4.00 per day.

With a day pass you can go anywhere in Amsterdam 24 hours a day on the
train, trams, metro and the (night) buses for no additional charge.

www.gvb.nl is the official Amsterdam transportation site. They've got
an awesome system map under the travel info link or under reisinfo--
lijnenkaart on the Dutch language site.

LRZ
Old September 24th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Dennis G. Rears

m...

"Sjoerd" wrote in message

They do expi 12 months after the price changes. (normally every

year
on
January 1)

Do they still offer 3 or 4 day passes? If so what is the cost?

dennis

Yes, they do! A 3 day Amsterdam pass is 19 Euro,
4 days are 23 Euro, but you can go up to 9 days,
which will end up in 43 Euros. Go for this pass:
not only to get back to your hotel after a long day,
you're also motivated to touch outer districts,
which are well worth seeing.

Check http://www.apti.is.nl/fares_en.html#gvbdagkaart

Ben.

Is it true that the passes are good country wide? I have been to AMS
three times. I love the city and the locals. I especially love the fact I
do not have to speak the local language. The only other language I speak is
German which I have found as an American is verboten in the country. Since I
grew up in Berlin I have an Prussian accent even though I have forgotten
much of my German,
Anyway, I plan to go to Den Hague and Rotterdam for tours. Hopefully
bicycle tourers.

dennis

Old September 24th, 2003, 05:23 AM

Hi,

well I was run over by a car in '76 and am paralyzed below the right
knee... walking is difficult...I get a wheelchair in the rijksmuseum and
such.... these days I carry my own bike to amsterdam (a brompton folder
I bought at Tromm's Tweewheelers(sp?) on europaplein.

but I have walked from heinekenplien (sp? about the same distance as
vondel park) to centraal station (queen's day... no trams)... it took me
a couple of hours each way.

Miguel Cruz wrote:
Anonymouse wrote:

My hotel is near Vondel Park.
Is this in walking distance from Centraal station?

With luggage I wouldn't suggest to do the walk. Better go by tram (line
1, 2 or 5).

even without luggage it's a pretty long walk... though I've done it.

Geezus. My 75-year-old dad does it all the time. I've done it hundreds of
times without even thinking about it - it's just the natural way to get
there if you don't have a bike. It is a half-hour walk. How is that long? A
long walk is 12 hours.

miguel

--
"Disperse, you rebels -- Damn you, throw down your arms and disperse!"
Maj. John Pitcairn (British Army), Lexington, Mass., April 19, 1775

Old September 24th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Ben Birkner

LRZ wrote in message . ..

Careful with the apti site. That site is way outdated, those prices
quoted above are in Nederland Guilders from 2001.

Another recent post I read quoted Dagkaart prices around EUR 3.50 to
4.00 per day.

With a day pass you can go anywhere in Amsterdam 24 hours a day on the
train, trams, metro and the (night) buses for no additional charge.

www.gvb.nl is the official Amsterdam transportation site. They've got
an awesome system map under the travel info link or under reisinfo--
lijnenkaart on the Dutch language site.

LRZ

You're absolutely right! Sorry for the mistake.

I called a friend in Amsterdam today and he confirmed that the
Dagkaart prices are even higher than in your posting :-)

2003 prices are EUR 5,50 for one day, EUR 8,80 for two days, EUR 11,30
for three days up to EUR 26,40 for 9 days. Multiple tickets are
available in the GVB office Stationsplein (Centraal Station), one-day
tickets you also get from the ticket machines in tram 5, light-rail 51
and in metro stations. Don't buy it from conductors in busses or
trams, it's more expensive.

Ben
Old September 25th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Thur

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote ...
"Ben Birkner" wrote ...
Yes, they do! A 3 day Amsterdam pass is 19 Euro,
4 days are 23 Euro, but you can go up to 9 days,
which will end up in 43 Euros.
Check http://www.apti.is.nl/fares_en.html#gvbdagkaart

Is it true that the passes are good country wide?

No.
The dayticket of GVB is just for Amsterdam and the suburbs of the city. Not
the entire country. The 'strippenkaart' is valid nationwide on bus/trams.
For traintickets you'll just have to buy them at the machines or counters.
http://www.apti.is.nl/strip_en.html for too much information ;-)
Greetz,

*grin*