Oasis of the Seas

Old September 27th, 2008, 12:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

Default Oasis of the Seas Attn: George Leppla

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
"Jean O'Boyle" wrote:

The Star Princess had a fire but that happened AFTER we sailed on her!
Different circumstances, however.
--Jean

Is that the one where they tried their best to get to International
waters so the CG wouldn't be involved?
I also remember a Travel Channel series on refurbishing a ship that
had a welding accident.

I didn't hear about that happening, Kurt...that was the one that they
believe was started by a tossed cigarette, wasn't it? That is all that I
ever heard about it anyway.
--Jean

The one I am thinking about was the Carnival Ecstasy in the aft
laundry room. Started by welders as they left Miami but they originally
said they did not need help and kept heading for the open sea IIRC.
About 20 minutes after the first report, they requested additional help.
The theory voiced by some talking heads at the time was that they were
trying to get out of US waters originaly.

Now I recall that happening...it hit the news and they showed the aft on
fire...but I didn't know that they had tried to get into
International.waters...

--Jean

Old September 27th, 2008, 02:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Default Oasis of the Seas

Why in the world would they use insulation material that could catch
fire on a cruise ship?

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old September 27th, 2008, 02:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
G&V[_2_]

We are on the Inaugural Cruise 12 Dec 2009.
Will this set the first cruise back ?
G&V

"Lingoss" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.cruisebusiness.com/news.php?u=20080925162046
A fire broke out on board Oasis of the Seas, the first in a series of two
225,000 gross ton cruise liners Royal Caribbean International (RCI) has on
order at Aker Yards Finland.

Some 1,500 workers that were on board the ship at the time the fire
started at about midday on Thursday were evacuated. Insulation material on
deck 9 caught fire in connection wityh welding work and the yard's own
fire fighters were able to put it out before it could cause extensive
damage, the Kauppalehti business daily reports on its website.

Although the were no casualties, the fire caused a lot of smoke, which
spread from deck 9 to various decks higher up on the ship, the report
said.

Old October 4th, 2008, 02:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff[_8_]

Becca wrote:
Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"Lingoss" wrote in message
. ..

http://www.cruisebusiness.com/news.php?u=20080925162046
A fire broke out on board Oasis of the Seas, the first in a series of
two 225,000 gross ton cruise liners Royal Caribbean International
(RCI) has on order at Aker Yards Finland.

Yikes, George! This is our group cruise ship in 2010!

--Jean

That article was so frightening to read, Jean. :-( The Oasis should
be fine by the time we get there, but this fire reminded me of the
beautiful ships we have lost because of fire over the years. I was just
reading an article about the ships that sank because of fires, and most
of them were caused by welding.

Becca

Are you saying we can't bring our own welding torches on group cruises?
Dang! That's such an important part of my cruise experience! Beef
satay doesn't taste the same if its not torched a little....

And you can make great flaming coffee drinks.

lol....

Jeff