Cell Phone Annoyance

Old September 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
G&V[_2_]

Default Cell Phone Annoyance

In the old days when the ship's horn sounded and we slid away from the pier
we breathed a sigh of relief knowing we escaped the every day cares of the
world for the next week or two. No matter what happened back home, we
probably would not find out about it until we returned. It was a good
feeling and a welcome relief from the day to day pressures of life.
NO MORE -- Everywhere on the ship these days there are people making sure
they keep directly in touch with the world. Especially cruises that are
close to land in reach of cell towers. Every where we turn there is someone
with a cell phone attached to their ear. We no longer have the feel we are
out of reach.
Has anyone else had the similar thoughts ?
G&V
Retired in Port Saint Lucie Florida
30 or so cruises over the years

Old September 24th, 2008, 02:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"G&V" wrote in message
In the old days when the ship's horn sounded and we slid away from the
pier we breathed a sigh of relief knowing we escaped the every day cares
of the world for the next week or two. No matter what happened back home,
we probably would not find out about it until we returned.

The flip side is that back then, many people never took a cruise because it
was important that they stay in touch for business or personal reasons.
Those people still took vacations but did so at locations that had telephone
service. Now, they can take those vacations on a cruise ship and still keep
in touch.

For me, the ability to work for a few hours during a cruise (online and on
the phone) means that it is easier for me to cruise. I am sure that those
who have cruised with me will tell you that my "keeping in touch" hasn't
ever diminsihed my ability to have a good time on a cruise... or theirs.

YMMV

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm
Feb. 8, 2009 Solstice Valentine http://www.cruisemaster.com/solstice.htm
May 10, 2009 ALASKA http://www.cruisemaster.com/moagc4.htm

Old September 24th, 2008, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
G&V[_2_]

George, this may help:
Definition: VACATION
1: a respite or a time of respite from something : intermission2 a: a
scheduled period during which activity (as of a court or school) is
suspended b: a period of exemption from work granted to an employee3: a
period spent away from home or business in travel or recreation had a
restful vacation at the beach4: an act or an instance of vacating

Old September 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"G&V" wrote in message
George, this may help:
Definition: VACATION
1: a respite or a time of respite from something : intermission2 a: a
scheduled period during which activity (as of a court or school) is
suspended b: a period of exemption from work granted to an employee3: a
period spent away from home or business in travel or recreation had a
restful vacation at the beach4: an act or an instance of vacating

When I take a vacation, I leave behind much of the everyday routine... but I
never take a vacation from life. FWIW, some of the best calls I ever get
are from people who are standing on a cruise ship calling me on a cell phone
telling me that they are having a ball.

I also have a kind of tradition that when I am going on a cruise, I call an
elderly relative on my cell phone from the ship and tell her what I am
doing. She can hear the music and the sea wind and the ship's horn as we
pull away from the pier. Sometimes I call her from a foreign port and tell
her about the things I have done and seen that day. She has never been on a
cruise and because of her age and health, won't ever go... and I am not
about to ignore her just because I am on vacation. A good time shared is a
good time multiplied.

In all your cruises, you have never once made a telephone call to someone at
home? Not even a call to talk to a grandchild who might miss you or to
share your good times with a friend? Not even a call to check on an
elderly relative or friend to brighten their day and make sure that they are
all right? Your "real world" disappears the moment you step on a cruise
ship because you are on "vacation"?

Old September 24th, 2008, 05:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tobie Gerbrandt

Hey, George

We also realize that you NEVER have your cel phone turned on when you are in
the public areas of the ship. There are times when people are yapping away,
in a loud voice, on the phone in public, disturbing the other passengers.

It is important to be able to contact family, and business people, but it
should be done in private!

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

Old September 24th, 2008, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George

Tobie Gerbrandt wrote:
Hey, George

We also realize that you NEVER have your cel phone turned on when you are in
the public areas of the ship. There are times when people are yapping away,
in a loud voice, on the phone in public, disturbing the other passengers.

It is important to be able to contact family, and business people, but it
should be done in private!

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

I agree, the title of the thread is "Annoyances".

If people want to spend their time in the Internet Cafe pecking away, or
use their cellphones in their cabin I've got no problems.

But when some jerk is sitting nearby on the sun deck yacking loudly to
people on the phone - THATS an annoyance and incredibly rude.

George
Old September 24th, 2008, 10:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"G&V" wrote in message
In the old days when the ship's horn sounded and we slid away from the
pier we breathed a sigh of relief knowing we escaped the every day cares
of the world for the next week or two. No matter what happened back home,
we probably would not find out about it until we returned. It was a good
feeling and a welcome relief from the day to day pressures of life.
NO MORE -- Everywhere on the ship these days there are people making sure
they keep directly in touch with the world. Especially cruises that are
close to land in reach of cell towers. Every where we turn there is
someone with a cell phone attached to their ear. We no longer have the
feel we are out of reach.
Has anyone else had the similar thoughts ?
G&V
Retired in Port Saint Lucie Florida
30 or so cruises over the years

I don't believe in keeping a cell phone constantly attached to my ear but I
do think some people have legitimate reasons to use one...Some have elderly
parents that they want to make sure are okay and that reassurance helps them
enjoy a more relaxed vacation. Some have relatives who have serious medical
conditions and staying in touch makes for enjoying a cruise more without
worrying constantly about what is happening back home..

Some just enjoy sharing their experiences with their family...I know while
in Europe the past 17 days, I was very happy to hear from my family... Ike,
the hurricane in Houston was uncomfortably close to our home...at the same
time, all those Wall Street financial problems hit the fan...No... there
was nothing I could do from Poland, Germany, Bulgaria, Austria, Slovakia or
the Czech Republic but it sure was related to me truthfully without all the
sensationalism that CNN was reporting it on my cabin TV on the Danube.
Since most of our calls are text messages they do not annoy anyone and our
cell phone calls are made before sailing or while in some port along the
way. As far as using a cell phone, to each his own, as long as you are
polite and do not annoy anyone else around you by talking loudly...better
yet done from your cabin or balcony.

--Jean
Retired in San Antonio, Texas with 43 cruises since 1995..

Old September 24th, 2008, 10:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"G&V" wrote in message
[...]

Well said, George....people that you love do not drop out of your life just
because you are on vacation.

--Jean

Old September 24th, 2008, 11:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

I agree with you 100% the next gneration will be born with a phone
attached to their ears. Cannot see why they have to use the
phone constantly,have people in the supermarket call the other person
they are in the same store with,to see if they should meet at the
checkout. Or if they should buy such & such,a total waste. Have a
cell phone for 4 years and only use it once a year to see if it still
works,it is for emergency only when i am driving alone,since there are
no more pay phones around to use. NEVER EVER take it on a cruise

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..