Indonesia: Chinese Language and Visitors

Old May 19th, 2010, 06:43 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Walt Bilofsky

Default Indonesia: Chinese Language and Visitors

Is it still true that printed matter in Chinese can not be brought
into Indonesia?

And would ethnically Chinese visitors have any problem there?
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:50 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Lord Wayne

On Tue, 18 May 2010 22:43:20 -0700, Walt Bilofsky
wrote:

Is it still true that printed matter in Chinese can not be brought
into Indonesia?

And would ethnically Chinese visitors have any problem there?

I am Chinese and visited there twice. Last time was 2 yrs ago
Specifically I was in Bali. I have 2 Chinese friends that were born
there. While in Bali, I did not have any real problems. At the
immigration office at the Bali airport, my friend and I were both
asked for a "tip" while he was looking at our passorts. My friend did
give him some money, (because he was born there), he was still a
little intimidated by authoritative figures. I ignored him and after
a few minutes, he gave up and stamped my passport. I found the
merchants will assume you are Korean, or Japanese in order not to make
you feel uncomfortable. My friends did go to Jarkarta to visit and
did not have any problems.
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Günter Marsen

Hi,

last time I have been in Indonesia was 15 months before.
In the customer's form was still written, that it is forbiddden to bring
books or papers with Chinese letters to Indonesia.
Usually there is no control, but offically I suppose, it is still against
the law.

I lived in Indonesia from 1995-1999. If I asked in the first years the
Malayan Indonesians, about problems with Chines people, they said :
"absolutly not, we are all Indonesians". But I got some hints, that they
hate them.
But in the riots in the economical crisis 1998 you could see, and hear
that the Malayian majority still hate the Chinese.
But at the moment, and if you are just a tourist, you usually will not
have any problems.

Gunter

Old May 19th, 2010, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Walt Bilofsky
says...
Is it still true that printed matter in Chinese can not be brought
into Indonesia?

And would ethnically Chinese visitors have any problem there?

Guess why Singapore has such strong armed forces.
--

Alfred Molon
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

wrote:
Is it still true that printed matter in Chinese can not be brought
into Indonesia?

And would ethnically Chinese visitors have any problem there?

I am Chinese and visited there twice. Last time was 2 yrs ago
Specifically I was in Bali. *I have 2 Chinese friends that were born
there. *While in Bali, I did not have any real problems. *At the
immigration office at the Bali airport, my friend and I were both
asked for a "tip" while he was looking at our passorts. *My friend did
give him some money, *(because he was born there), he was still a
little intimidated by authoritative figures. *I ignored him and after
a few minutes, he gave up and stamped my passport. *I found the
merchants will assume you are Korean, or Japanese in order not to make
you feel uncomfortable. *My friends did go to Jarkarta to visit and
did not have any problems.

Bali, while part of Indonesia, is not exactly like the main islands.
What goes on in Bali cannot be applied to other parts of Indonesia.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
coreholiday

hello,
as i know, there are too many chinese at indonesian, and not true if
chinese people get trouble at this country

--
coreholiday
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:42 AM