Newark - 4 hour Layover

Old March 9th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Steve

Default Newark - 4 hour Layover

"Mike Schumann" wrote in message
I have a 4 hour layover in Newark on my way to Franfurt. Any suggestions

on
what I should do?

Stay at the airport and relax, read a book, take a look at the shops, etc.
4 hours is not enough time to safely get into NYC and back via the AirTrain
and NJ Transit to Penn Station. It can likely be done, but you'd be
pushing it and once at Penn Station you'll have enough time to walk outside
for a minute and turn around; once back at the airport you'll have to clear
security (and if you have any carry-on luggage, you'd be lugging it with you
the entire way). You really need a longer layover to make it into the city
comfortably; plus you need to build in time for the fudge factor for the
trains are off-schedule or if the AirTrain decides to act-up (which I've
unfortunately experienced a few times lately).

// While O/T to this thread, but relevant to the AirTrain, I was on the EWR
AirTrain in December and it kept accelerating and then stopping in the
middle of the track; at one point we were stuck about 5 minutes not moving
at all between the last parking station and the EWR train station. Granted
it was during a snowstorm, but it took over an hour to take the AirTrain
from CO's C concourse to the EWR train station because of problems. //

Your flight to FRA will likely begin boarding between 1 hr to 35 minutes
prior to push-back, which will really shorten your connection by the time
you deplane from your inbound, make it to the FRA gate, and board. Often
they try to have all passengers on-board at 30 minutes prior (required for
baggage matching and security reasons to push back on-time).

Are you flying CO? My suspicion as CO operates a hub at EWR, but I am not
sure if LH or anyone else services FRA from EWR.... (does PrivateAir do
EWR-FRA?).

If you have access to the President's Club through a membership with CO (or
a NW WorldClubs) I would chill out in there -- or if you are on a
BusinessFirst ticket that should get you access to the lounges.

If flying economy and don't have lounge access, I believe you can purchase a
one-time pass. It's been awhile since I've used the PC at EWR, but that
should provide you some extra comfort. With the size of the airport you
can also do some walking, visit the shops, and tire your selfout for the
overnight flight as well. The new area of terminal C is nice and spacious
where CO operates most, if not all Intl operations.

I hope this helps -- at least EWR is the best of the three NYC area airports
in my opinion. Admittedly, I haven't been to LaGuardia, but I will be
passing through in a couple of days myself.

Enjoy your trip!

Steve

Old March 9th, 2004, 10:56 PM
John R. Levine

Are there any developments with regards to bringing Path to the
Newark airport station to which the monorail "thing" connects ?

It ain't gonna happen. The monorail used the cutouts in the terminals
that were originally designed for PATH.

If one is going to the stock exchange district, wouldn't the slower
Path (compared to NJ transit) still be faster than going to Penn
station in Manhattan, and then transfering to subway to head back
south ?

Probably. The Airtrain goes to a station that is south of Newark
so you can go EWR --Airtrain-- EWR train sta --NJT train-- Newark
Penn station --PATH-- WTC

It's probably faster than going to NYC Penn and then taking the subway.

Re four hours in Newark, the IKEA store is right on the other side of
the turnpike, maybe a 10 minute taxi ride away. The food in their
cafeteria isn't bad, and on nice days the patio outside is good for
plane spotting. I suppose you could ask them to hold on to your
furniture until you get back from Germany. There's an Anheuser-Busch
brewery on the other side of route 1/9 but as far as I can tell, it's
not one of their breweries that offers tours.

Or you can take a taxi a little farther to Liberty State Park in
Jersey City which is fairly interesting on its own, with the old
Jersey Central depot and ferry terminal. There's ferry service from
there to Ellis and Liberty Islands, where you can ask yourself why the
US Congress has decided we can afford $50M for an artificial rain
forest in Iowa, but not $5M to reopen the Statue of Liberty.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 330 5711
, Village Trustee and Sewer Commissioner, http://iecc.com/johnl,
Old March 10th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Shawn \Me\ Hearn

In article ,
"Mike Schumann" wrote:

I have a 4 hour layover in Newark on my way to Franfurt. Any suggestions on
what I should do?

Find a place at the airport to sit, then read a good book. Four hours
isn't enough time to leave the airport, do anything interesting, then
get back to the airport, through customes and security, and make your
flight to Frankfurt.
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Michael Gallagher

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:14:43 -0600, "Mike Schumann"
wrote:

I have a 4 hour layover in Newark on my way to Franfurt. Any suggestions on
what I should do?

Given that you will have flown in from and will be on an overnight
flight, take it easy. After you check in at the gate, get a bite to
eat. You can also spend sometime to wander around and people-watch.
Just be sure to get back to your gate in plenty of time for boarding.

If you are on Continental, Newark Terminal C is an interesting place
all by itself, and many of the windows have good views of NYC.