Another airfare price question, NYC->Finland

Old March 12th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Mikko Peltoniemi

Default Another airfare price question, NYC->Finland

I've flown many times from Finland and the US and back. So I know
that I can usually get a return ticket from Finland to NYC
for about 400 euros. Give or take.

But now I need to book a ticket the other way around, plus
I'll be going in the high season (July). So I have no idea,
how much (or little) would a good price be for that.

Right now, the price seems to be around $1000-$1200, everywhere
I looked. At what price should I start thinking about
booking? Not at this price, for sure.

I'm hopeful that at least SAS will have a good fare through
Stockholm, since they need all the passengers they can get.

Their current sale seems to be for trips beginning at the
end of May, so a bit too early yet...

--
Mikko Peltoniemi
Film & Video Editor, Avid Technician at large.
Old March 12th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Mikko Peltoniemi wrote:

I've flown many times from Finland and the US and back. So I know
that I can usually get a return ticket from Finland to NYC
for about 400 euros. Give or take.

But now I need to book a ticket the other way around, plus
I'll be going in the high season (July). So I have no idea,
how much (or little) would a good price be for that.

Right now, the price seems to be around $1000-$1200, everywhere
I looked. At what price should I start thinking about
booking? Not at this price, for sure.

I'm hopeful that at least SAS will have a good fare through
Stockholm, since they need all the passengers they can get.

Their current sale seems to be for trips beginning at the
end of May, so a bit too early yet...

Might try NYC-somewhere in Europe-Helsinki on 2 seperate tickets.

Also consider Icelandair BWI-(KEF)-???
Old March 12th, 2004, 05:59 AM
mtravelkay

Mikko Peltoniemi wrote:
I've flown many times from Finland and the US and back. So I know
that I can usually get a return ticket from Finland to NYC
for about 400 euros. Give or take.

But now I need to book a ticket the other way around, plus
I'll be going in the high season (July). So I have no idea,
how much (or little) would a good price be for that.

Right now, the price seems to be around $1000-$1200, everywhere
I looked. At what price should I start thinking about
booking? Not at this price, for sure.

I'm hopeful that at least SAS will have a good fare through
Stockholm, since they need all the passengers they can get.

Their current sale seems to be for trips beginning at the
end of May, so a bit too early yet...

If you wait, there is no guarantee that there will be lower farss.
In Travelocity, there is an advance search option that lets you choose a
month range and gives you the best fares for that range.
A quick look shows a variety of airlines showing at $721. I saw
Icelandair was lower, but couldn't seem to find flights on that.
I lucked out on KLM with even a Saturday departure for July 3. Return on
Sunday, July 18. Not bad for a someone with 2 weeks off wanting to fly
weekends. This would be JFK-AMS-HEL. I think nonstop flights to HEL
would be a bit higher. My total price came to $801.50 on Travelocity.
I went to klm.com, which sent me to nwa.com after I admitted to being an
American At that site, the fare came up as $780.16. I think that
is pretty good for weekend travel dates to Europe in July.

Old March 12th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Mikko Peltoniemi

mtravelkay wrote:

If you wait, there is no guarantee that there will be lower farss.

I know, that's the thing, it's like gambling. Do I sit tight, and hope
that the price is going any lower, risking of losing everything?

The thing is that I've never had any problems getting a fare of about
400 euros even, say, two weeks before departure.

I don't know if I've been lucky, or what.

But that's for a ticket starting from Finland, and that might make a
world of difference.

I tried Travelocity, and got about $1200, but I didn't try the
(or they're) experiencing the "wrong browser" syndrome.

Fortunately, for me, I'm in a situation where I can be a bit choosy,
and wait for a better fare, since:

1) I can choose leaving from EWR or JFK
2) Since I'm going to Turku, I could also just fly to Stockholm,
and take the ferry over
3) If the fare doesn't come through, I'll reschedule my trip a bit
later, maybe off peak-season then

Though, it seems as though flying EWR-ARN-TKU is cheaper than flying
just EWR-ARN on SAS.

I went to klm.com, which sent me to nwa.com after I admitted to being an
American At that site, the fare came up as $780.16. I think that
is pretty good for weekend travel dates to Europe in July.

Yes, $780 is definitely much better than the price range I got with
the simple search of Travelocity, plus going through SAS, Finnair and
BA websites.

Thanks for the help, even though I'm still shy from my ideal price,
at least I got more ideas where to look from.

Old March 12th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Mikko Peltoniemi

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

Might try NYC-somewhere in Europe-Helsinki on 2 seperate tickets.
Also consider Icelandair BWI-(KEF)-???

Thanks, I'll take a look into those possiblities as well. At least
the Icelandair; I doubt that the price difference between BWI and
JFK/EWR is going to be enough to justify going there. But who knows.

Too bad it's not like stock trading, where the prices go gradually
up or down, but they jump all around.

Old March 12th, 2004, 01:52 PM
John R. Levine

But now I need to book a ticket the other way around, plus
I'll be going in the high season (July). So I have no idea,
how much (or little) would a good price be for that.

ITA software, who write the fare search engine that Orbitz uses, has a
swell new beta version on their own web site that will do a full month
fare search. It says that the cheapest from NYC to HEL in July is
$788. That seems about right for a summer fare from the U.S.