Complete 60 minutes interview (transcript): Bush Sought‘Way’ To Invade Iraq

Old January 12th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Fly Guy

Default Complete 60 minutes interview (transcript): Bush Sought‘Way’ To Invade Iraq

Memorable quotes:

- Bush was disengaged, at least on domestic issues
- Donald Rumsfeld warned O’Neill not to do this book
- going after Saddam was topic "A" 10 days after the inauguration
- From the very first instance, it was about Iraq. It was about
what we can do to change this regime
- questions such as "Why Saddam?" and "Why now?" were never asked
- It was all about finding a way to do it
- memos ‘Plan for post-Saddam Iraq,’
- discussed occupation of Iraq in January and February of 2001
- planning envisioned peacekeeping troops, war crimes tribunals,
and even divvying up Iraq's oil wealth
- document dated March 5/01 titled "Foreign Suitors for Iraqi
Oilfield contracts,"
- Cheney says this about 2'nd round of tax cuts for the rich:
"Reagan proved that deficits don't matter. We won the mid-term
elections, this is our due."
- Cheney is part of "a praetorian guard that encircled the
president" to block out contrary views. "This is the way
Dick likes it"

-------
"During the campaign, candidate Bush had criticized the Clinton-Gore
Administration for being too interventionist: "If we don't stop
extending our troops all around the world in nation-building missions,
then we're going to have a serious problem coming down the road. And
I'm going to prevent that."

“The thing that's most surprising, I think, is how emphatically, from
the very first, the administration had said ‘X’ during the campaign,
but from the first day was often doing ‘Y,’” says Suskind. “Not just
saying ‘Y,’ but actively moving toward the opposite of what they had
said during the election.”
-------

Bush Sought ‘Way’ To Invade Iraq?
Jan. 11, 2004

A year ago, Paul O'Neill was fired from his job as George Bush's
Treasury Secretary for disagreeing too many times with the president's
policy on tax cuts. Now, O'Neill - who is known for speaking his mind
- talks for the first time about his two years inside the Bush
administration. His story is the centerpiece of a new book being
published this week about the way the Bush White House is run.

Entitled "The Price of Loyalty," the book by a former Wall Street
Journal reporter draws on interviews with high-level officials who
gave the author their personal accounts of meetings with the
president, their notes and documents. But the main source of the book
was Paul O'Neill. Correspondent Lesley Stahl reports.

Paul O'Neill says he is going public because he thinks the Bush
Administration has been too secretive about how decisions have been
made. Will this be seen as a “kiss-and-tell" book?

“I've come to believe that people will say damn near anything, so I'm
sure somebody will say all of that and more,” says O’Neill, who was
George Bush's top economic policy official.

In the book, O’Neill says that the president did not make decisions in
a methodical way: there was no free-flow of ideas or open debate. At
cabinet meetings, he says the president was "like a blind man in a
roomful of deaf people. There is no discernible connection," forcing
top officials to act "on little more than hunches about what the
president might think."

This is what O'Neill says happened at his first hour-long, one-on-one
meeting with Mr. Bush: “I went in with a long list of things to talk
about, and I thought to engage on and as the book says, I was
surprised that it turned out me talking, and the president just
listening … As I recall, it was mostly a monologue.”

He also says that President Bush was disengaged, at least on domestic
issues, and that disturbed him. And he says that wasn't his experience
when he worked as a top official under Presidents Nixon and Ford, or
the way he ran things when he was chairman of Alcoa. O'Neill readily
agreed to tell his story to the book's author Ron Suskind – and he
adds that he's taking no money for his part in the book.

Suskind says he interviewed hundreds of people for the book –
including several cabinet members. O'Neill is the only one who spoke
on the record, but Suskind says that someone high up in the
administration – Donald Rumsfeld - warned O’Neill not to do this book.

Was it a warning, or a threat?

“I don't think so. I think it was the White House concerned,” says
Suskind. “Understandably, because O'Neill has spent extraordinary
amounts of time with the president. They said, ‘This could really be
the one moment where things are revealed.’"

Not only did O'Neill give Suskind his time, he gave him 19,000
internal documents.

“Everything's the Memoranda to the President, handwritten "thank
you" notes, 100-page documents. Stuff that's sensitive,” says Suskind,
adding that in some cases, it included transcripts of private,
high-level National Security Council meetings. “You don’t get higher
than that.”

And what happened at President Bush's very first National Security
Council meeting is one of O'Neill's most startling revelations.

“From the very beginning, there was a conviction, that Saddam Hussein
was a bad person and that he needed to go,” says O’Neill, who adds
that going after Saddam was topic "A" 10 days after the inauguration -
eight months before Sept. 11. “From the very first instance, it was
about Iraq. It was about what we can do to change this regime,” says
Suskind. “Day one, these things were laid and sealed.”

As treasury secretary, O'Neill was a permanent member of the National
Security Council. He says in the book he was surprised at the meeting
that questions such as "Why Saddam?" and "Why now?" were never asked.

"It was all about finding a way to do it. That was the tone of it. The
president saying ‘Go find me a way to do this,’" says O’Neill. “For
me, the notion of pre-emption, that the U.S. has the unilateral right
to do whatever we decide to do, is a really huge leap.”

And that came up at this first meeting, says O’Neill, who adds that
the discussion of Iraq continued at the next National Security Council
meeting two days later. He got briefing materials under this cover
sheet. “There are memos. One of them marked, secret, says, ‘Plan for
post-Saddam Iraq,’" adds Suskind, who says that they discussed an
occupation of Iraq in January and February of 2001.

Based on his interviews with O'Neill and several other officials at
the meetings, Suskind writes that the planning envisioned peacekeeping
troops, war crimes tribunals, and even divvying up Iraq's oil wealth.

He obtained one Pentagon document, dated March 5, 2001, and entitled
"Foreign Suitors for Iraqi Oilfield contracts," which includes a map
of potential areas for exploration. “It talks about contractors
around the world from, you know, 30-40 countries. And which ones have
what intentions,” says Suskind. “On oil in
Iraq.”

During the campaign, candidate Bush had criticized the Clinton-Gore
Administration for being too interventionist: "If we don't stop
extending our troops all around the world in nation-building missions,
then we're going to have a serious problem coming down the road. And
I'm going to prevent that."

“The thing that's most surprising, I think, is how emphatically, from
the very first, the administration had said ‘X’ during the campaign,
but from the first day was often doing ‘Y,’” says Suskind. “Not just
saying ‘Y,’ but actively moving toward the opposite of what they had
said during the election.”

The president had promised to cut taxes, and he did. Within six months
of taking office, he pushed a trillion dollars worth of tax cuts
through Congress. But O'Neill thought it should have been the end.
After 9/11 and the war in Afghanistan, the budget deficit was growing.
So at a meeting with the vice president after the mid-term elections
in 2002, Suskind writes that O'Neill argued against a second round of
tax cuts.

“Cheney, at this moment, shows his hand,” says Suskind. “He says, ‘You
know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter. We won the
mid-term elections, this is our due.’ … O'Neill is speechless.”

”It was not just about not wanting the tax cut. It was about how to
use the nation's resources to improve the condition of our society,”
says O’Neill. “And I thought the weight of working on Social Security
and fundamental tax reform was a lot more important than a tax
reduction.”

Did he think it was irresponsible? “Well, it's for sure not what I
would have done,” says O’Neill.

The former treasury secretary accuses Vice President Dick Cheney of
not being an honest broker, but, with a handful of others, part of "a
praetorian guard that encircled the president" to block out contrary
views. "This is the way Dick likes it," says O’Neill.

Meanwhile, the White House was losing patience with O'Neill. He was
becoming known for a series of off-the-cuff remarks his critics called
gaffes. One of them sent the dollar into a nosedive and required major
damage control. Twice during stock market meltdowns, O'Neill was not
available to the president: He was out of the country - one time on a
trip to Africa with the Irish rock star Bono.

“Africa made an enormous splash. It was like a road show,” says
Suskind. “He comes back and the president says to him at a meeting,
‘You know, you're getting quite a cult following.’ And it clearly was
not a joke. And it was not said in jest.”

Suskind writes that the relationship grew tenser and that the
president even took a jab at O'Neill in public, at an economic forum
in Texas.

The two men were never close. And O'Neill was not amused when Mr. Bush
began calling him "The Big O." He thought the president's habit of
giving people nicknames was a form of bullying. Everything came to a
head for O'Neill at a November 2002 meeting at the White House of the
economic team.

“It's a huge meeting. You got Dick Cheney from the, you know, secure
location on the video. The President is there,” says Suskind, who was
given a nearly verbatim transcript by someone who attended the
meeting.

He says everyone expected Mr. Bush to rubber stamp the plan under
discussion: a big new tax cut. But, according to Suskind, the
president was perhaps having second thoughts about cutting taxes
again, and was uncharacteristically engaged.

“He asks, ‘Haven't we already given money to rich people? This second
tax cut's gonna do it again,’” says Suskind. “He says, ‘Didn’t we
already, why are we doing it again?’ Now, his advisers, they say,
‘Well Mr. President, the upper class, they're the entrepreneurs.
That's the standard response.’ And the president kind of goes, ‘OK.’
That's their response. And then, he comes back to it again. ‘Well,
shouldn't we be giving money to the middle, won't people be able to
say, ‘You did it once, and then you did it twice, and what was it good
for?’"

But according to the transcript, White House political advisor Karl
Rove jumped in.

“Karl Rove is saying to the president, a kind of mantra. ‘Stick to
principle. Stick to principle.’ He says it over and over again,” says
Suskind. “Don’t waver.”

In the end, the president didn't. And nine days after that meeting in
which O'Neill made it clear he could not publicly support another tax
cut, the vice president called and asked him to resign.

With the deficit now climbing towards $400 billion, O'Neill maintains
he was in the right.

But look at the economy today.

“Yes, well, in the last quarter the growth rate was 8.2 percent. It
was terrific,” says O’Neill. “I think the tax cut made a difference.
But without the tax cut, we would have had 6 percent real growth, and
the prospect of dealing with transformation of Social Security and
fundamentally fixing the tax system. And to me, those were compelling
competitors for, against more tax cuts.”

While in the book O'Neill comes off as constantly appalled at Mr.
Bush, he was surprised when Stahl told him she found his portrait of
the president unflattering.

“Hmmm, you really think so,” asks O’Neill, who says he isn’t joking.
“Well, I’ll be darned.”

“You're giving me the impression that you're just going to be stunned
if they attack you for this book,” says Stahl to O’Neill. “And they're
going to say, I predict, you know, it's sour grapes. He's getting back
because he was fired.” “I will be really disappointed if they react
that way because I think they'll be hard put to,” says O’Neill.

Is he prepared for it?

“Well, I don't think I need to be because I can't imagine that I'm
going to be attacked for telling the truth,” says O’Neill. “Why would
I be attacked for telling the truth?”

White House spokesman Scott McClellan was asked about the book on
Friday and said "The president is someone that leads and acts
decisively on our biggest priorities and that is exactly what he'll
continue to do."