huge limo/taxi lot at O'Hare

Old March 13th, 2004, 02:46 AM
JAC

Default huge limo/taxi lot at O'Hare

What is this used for? I know the obvious answer that this is a
staging lot for taxis and limos prior to approaching the terminal.
But how does this work logistically? There must of been thousands of
vehicles in that lot, I was surprised.

Old March 13th, 2004, 03:40 AM
John R. Levine

What is this used for? I know the obvious answer that this is a
staging lot for taxis and limos prior to approaching the terminal.
But how does this work logistically? There must of been thousands of
vehicles in that lot, I was surprised.

Dunno about O'Hare in particular, but at other large airports I have
used such as BOS, JFK, and LGA, there's only room for a dozen taxis or
so at the stand at each terminal, and as a matter of policy they don't
let taxis drive around looking for fares to keep them from clogging up
the airport roads. Taxis that want a fare wait in the lot, and the
dispatchers at each terminal tell the dispatcher at the lot when they
need more taxis at the terminal.

I gather it's quite typical for a taxi to wait an hour or more in the
lot for a fare, but it's worth it since airport trips tend to be long,
to tip reasonably well, and not to go to crummy parts of town. At LGA
there is a "shorty" list of destinations close to the airport, and if
you get a fare to one of them, you can come back to the airport and
cut the line.

Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be,
http://iecc.com/johnl, Sewer Commissioner

Old March 13th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Traveller

"John R. Levine" wrote in message

Dunno about O'Hare in particular, but at other large airports I have
used such as BOS, JFK, and LGA, there's only room for a dozen taxis or
so at the stand at each terminal, and as a matter of policy they don't
let taxis drive around looking for fares to keep them from clogging up
the airport roads. Taxis that want a fare wait in the lot, and the
dispatchers at each terminal tell the dispatcher at the lot when they
need more taxis at the terminal.

I gather it's quite typical for a taxi to wait an hour or more in the
lot for a fare, but it's worth it since airport trips tend to be long,
to tip reasonably well, and not to go to crummy parts of town. At LGA
there is a "shorty" list of destinations close to the airport, and if
you get a fare to one of them, you can come back to the airport and
cut the line.

Exactly the same setup as at London Heathrow, for example.