Internet access in China

Old September 26th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default Internet access in China

I will need to connect to the internet regularly during a trip to China.
Ordinarily I go to internet cafes, because I have a deep and abiding hatred
for dialup modems. However, I need to coordinate something online at what
will be 3am in China, so I suspect I will have no choice other than to dial
up from the hotel.

I recall reading that there are short (3-digit?) access codes that can be
used nationwide. Is that true? What's the deal with those? Does the hotel's
phone system detect their use and pass on the charges accordingly? Are the
rates reasonable? Is any pre-registration required? Thanks for any info.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 31 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old September 26th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Alan Street

In article , Miguel Cruz
wrote:

€ I will need to connect to the internet regularly during a trip to China.
€ Ordinarily I go to internet cafes, because I have a deep and abiding hatred
€ for dialup modems. However, I need to coordinate something online at what
€ will be 3am in China, so I suspect I will have no choice other than to dial
€ up from the hotel.

€ I recall reading that there are short (3-digit?) access codes that can be
€ used nationwide. Is that true? What's the deal with those? Does the hotel's
€ phone system detect their use and pass on the charges accordingly? Are the
€ rates reasonable? Is any pre-registration required? Thanks for any info.

€ miguel

I was last in China in December of 2000, so my information is a little
out of date. At that time, I used iPass for Internet access from Wuhan.
It wasn't a three digit number, and the hotel didn't pass along any
additional charges.

One interesting thing was that my domain was blocked (irsi.com). In
order to access my mail server I had to use its IP address instead of
the domain name.

Alan

Old September 26th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Joey

there are places which open 24 hrs a day for ppl to get online in china...
actually those are places for ppl to play online-games, and of course u may
get internet access there. it's very cheap to spend your time there, approx.
RMB$3-4 per hour.
i don't know which part of china u will go to, the situation mentioned above
is for shanghai...
"Miguel Cruz" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D

Old September 26th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Miguel Cruz

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
(Miguel Cruz) wrote:
I will need to connect to the internet regularly during a trip to China.
Ordinarily I go to internet cafes, because I have a deep and abiding
hatred for dialup modems. However, I need to coordinate something online
at what will be 3am in China, so I suspect I will have no choice other
than to dial up from the hotel.

Maybe stay at a hotel with a 24-hour business centre?

For better or worse, I have nothing to do with the hotel arrangements, and
in some cases we're in pretty out-of-the-way spots, so I'm not optimistic
about 24-hour internet cafes.

Lord knows it was hard enough getting online after hours in Colombo, Sri
Lanka last week, which I would have expected to be reasonably wired -
especially given that DSL service is pretty cheap and decent there. The
major hotel business centers all closed at night, and only two hotels in the
whole city offered broadband internet in at least some of the rooms, and
only in premium rooms so expensive they exceeded my entire per diem
allowance.

Malaysia's made me soft.

miguel
--