What are your favorite Australian towns you've most enjoyed visiting?

Old November 24th, 2006, 11:11 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb

Default What are your favorite Australian towns you've most enjoyed visiting?

"The Aussie Viking" wrote in message
Exmouth. It is close to ningaloo reef, which in parts is that close you
can wade out with goggles to look at the coral, even if you can't swim. It
has Turquise bay, Glass bottomed boats for coral viewing, whaleshark tours
to swim with, big game fishing. Even in the harbour, I have seen them
landing fish over 400mm long before you get into deeper water. Ningaloo
reef is the world's closest fringing reef, and is over 260Km's long.
Better than the Great Barrier Reef IMHO (I'm an ex Qld'r) and lots closer
to shore. It ranges from a few metres to 200 metres offshore.

Then there is the land attractions, like shothole canyon and Charles Knife
Road (driving on an escarpment, with valleys and sheer drop on both sides,
sometimes it's only as wide as the road. (8 metres) There are safety
cables to stop you running into valleys over a hundred metres deep. There
is also an array of antenna's for Submarine communication, that can talk
to sub's under ice at the north pole. They are over 1,000 feet tall, the
tallest being 1,271 feet tall, and spread out over 2 1/2 Km in diameter.
It's the world's largest VLF transmitter, and can transmit over 2Mw of
power. When it is transmitting, you could hold a fleuro tube in the air,
and it would light from the power (No longer allowed, but I have seen
pic's of it done when under construction.)

It is also a good jump-off point to see Karajini National Park and
Millstream. We went there initially on the way to Karajini, and it soon
became apparent we would need to spend 2 weeks there alone to do it
justice.

Wow! Sounds great!

But how long would it take me to drive from Sydney, I wonder ?

Old November 24th, 2006, 12:25 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
The Aussie Viking

2 full days North of Perth. 1,260Km. Mugs have been known to drive it
non-stop in a day solo, but if you want to do that, take driving turns and
watch out for roo's at sunrise/sunset. when they are most active.

Carnarvon is a reasonable stop to make the overnighter froim Perth.

Old November 24th, 2006, 11:11 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Anonymous[_1_]

My two favorite "regions" are Heron Island on the Great Barrier Reef
and Cradle Mountain in Tasmania. The east coast of Tassie and the
Great Ocean Road are runners up, followed by Ballarat and Bendigo.

On 22 Nov 2006 19:41:08 -0800, "Jeff" wrote:

What are your favorite Australian towns and regions (other than any
metropolitan capital cities) you've most enjoyed visiting (compared to
others) and what do you most recommend or admire about each one.

Old December 17th, 2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Max Power

WA
* Albany (the cool weather was much appreciated)
* Geraldton (minus the snafus related to getting to Hutt River Province)

SA
* Gawler (the roads are a mess, but the shopping and museum were great)

ACT
* On the whole better than NSW, but still not ideal for most tourists

NSW
* Bondi, but not the areas related to surfing -- probably I should say
"Waverly"

Frankly, I would rather stay and never leave...

Old January 9th, 2007, 06:45 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
jonni

Jeff wrote:
What are your favorite Australian towns and regions (other than any
metropolitan capital cities) you've most enjoyed visiting (compared to
others) and what do you most recommend or admire about each one.

Newcastle. Take the ferry to Stockton