Chengdu/Leshan/Dazu vs Xi'an

Old November 24th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Oceras

Default Chengdu/Leshan/Dazu vs Xi'an

What is an OP? Since I'm being considered one, it would be nice to know what it
is.
At any rate, I suppose I may not have been clear enough with my original
question. We don't actually intend to spend a lot of time in Chengdu, if we go
there, but to travel on to Leshan and Dazu to see the Buddhist sculpture and
temples. So my question is really more about those places than about Chengdu
itself.
I suppose I could repose it this way:
Given that Xi'an is likely to be much colder than the Chengdu/Leshan/Dazu area,
are the sights there so much more worth seeing that we should definitely plump
for there and say to hell with the cold? It's quite possibly a once in a
lifetime opportunity for us, and we know that the question we're asking is not
entirely reasonable, but it is nice to get opinions about both areas from
people who've been there.
By the way, the travel agent we're working with said that Banpo will be
unavailable for a visit at the time we would be visiting. Would that really be
a big loss?
Thanks you all.
Steve
Old November 24th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Spehro Pefhany

On 24 Nov 2003 06:33:28 GMT, the renowned (Oceras)
wrote:

What is an OP? Since I'm being considered one, it would be nice to know what it
is.

Original Poster.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old November 24th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Dieter Aa

"Chris Dieckmann" schreef in bericht
om...
Jesus, what happened to this thread; is this soc.culture.china now??

Since no one has constructively refuted anything in my initial reply,
let me also add for the record that I lived in Chengdu and traveled to
Xi'an during the time the OP plans to go. Yes, the food in Chengdu is
great, but there is plenty of food to keep you happy in Xi'an as well.

"great" and "as well"
true, I fully agree

Try getting a room at the Wuyi and there's a fun, cafeteria style
place right in the hotel that's mobbed with locals. Fantastic
doughnuts out in front on the street in the morning. The Muslim
Quarter alone will keep you happy for several days' worth of meals.
Better yogurt in Xi'an too.

true,
question is whether you go to China for that.

Of course there are tourist scams in
Xi'an ("would you like to come in and see a special students'
exhibition of paintings?") but come on, how easy is that to avoid?

true again

That aside, in the souvenir districts you can stock up on a lot of
cool stuff that you never see in Chengdu, partly because of the
geographic location and partly because of the huge numbers of
tourists. As I already said, it depends on what you're after, but if
it's an either-or proposition, the choice is really quite clear.
Chengdu continues to be modernized at a rapid pace and physically
retains very little of its history. Xi'an strikes a better balance in
this regard.

I wouldn't call that a "balance" either an economic setback
But again: you are right by stating that when you compare both the city
centre of Chengdu and Xian,
Xian is for sure older, while Chengdu is full of high-rise buildings.
But:
If you go to Xian for the teracotta, which is outside of the city
then you go to Chengdu for Leshan and the panda's
and that's a completely different comparision.
Have a look on the header of this posting to see the exact question again.

Am I dogging Chengdu? Not in the least; I love the place and it will
always be my home in China. And get over this Han vs. Hui
business...or go Muslim-bashing on the aforementioned soc.culture
forum.

O, yes, I like it, the muslim-bashing.

Old November 24th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Chris Dieckmann

(Oceras) wrote in message ...
At any rate, I suppose I may not have been clear enough with my original
question. We don't actually intend to spend a lot of time in Chengdu, if we go
there, but to travel on to Leshan and Dazu to see the Buddhist sculpture and
temples. So my question is really more about those places than about Chengdu
itself.

Just to clarify, you can't really "travel on" as Leshan and Dazu are
in more-or-less opposite directions from Chengdu.

I suppose I could repose it this way:
Given that Xi'an is likely to be much colder than the Chengdu/Leshan/Dazu
area, are the sights there so much more worth seeing that we should
definitely plump for there and say to hell with the cold?

"Much colder" is relative...why not spend some time with Google and
check out weather sites with average/historical data to get an idea of
what you could expect...both areas have the potential to be cold,
foggy, rainy, and/or generally miserable, which is why I said you need
to be praying for sun much more than the temperature.

It's quite possibly a once in a
lifetime opportunity for us, and we know that the question we're asking is not
entirely reasonable, but it is nice to get opinions about both areas from
people who've been there.

Hey, what am I, chopped liver??

By the way, the travel agent we're working with said that Banpo will be
unavailable for a visit at the time we would be visiting. Would that really be
a big loss?

As I said in my original reply: forget Banpo. With either choice,
just make sure you're not going to be herded around by your agent or
their representatives in China, stopping here and there for "special
tours of famous arts and crafts" and whatnot.
Old December 6th, 2003, 02:16 AM
Oceras

Thank you all who have replied to my question. The answers have gone a long way
to helping us decide where to go: Hawaii! (just kidding)
Steve