Internet access in Italy

Old May 30th, 2006, 12:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Internet access in Italy

Hi,

I have been using www.gonuts4free.it in Italy for some time now. It
allows me free Internet access through modem and as I am travelling
regularly between these countries it works for me prefectly for the
usage I need it for. With Gonuts4free in Italy and Spain, where I use
www.gonuts4free.com for Spain, I registered a free email address which
allows me to send via outlook express mails without any problems when I
am in one of these countries.
They are offering support in English and different other languages, and
there response time to questions is quite quick.
Hopes this information is helpful to all your travellers out there
visiting Italy.
Ciao
Leonardo

De: Larry - ver perfil
Fecha: Jue 20 April 2006 21:04
Correo electrónico: (Larry)
Grupos: rec.travel.europe
Sin calificarValoración:
ocultar opciones

I want to find a free Internet ISP while I'm traveling in Italy next
month. I understand that Libero in Italy provides free Internet
access. Since I don't read Italian very well, I'm having trouble
figuring out how to get access. What I need to know is what access
number to dial and how to get registered with them. Free ISP in Italy ?
Can somebody who's done this give me some advice?

Thanks,

Larry

2 De: Barbara Vaughan - ver perfil
Fecha: Jue 20 March 2006 22:57
Correo electrónico: Barbara Vaughan
Grupos: rec.travel.europe

Larry wrote:

I want to find a free Internet ISP while I'm traveling in Italy next
month. I understand that Libero in Italy provides free Internet
access. Since I don't read Italian very well, I'm having trouble
figuring out how to get access. What I need to know is what access
number to dial and how to get registered with them. Can somebody who's
done this give me some advice?

Old May 30th, 2006, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 30 May 2006 04:05:24 -0700, wrote:

There are many "free" ISPs in Italy. The catch is that you pay by the
minute for the phone call, and the cost is more than other phone
calls. The phone company splits the take with the ISP.

libero, tiscali, virgilio, interfree, and tim are just some of them.
All of them can be reached by
www.xxx.it, replacing xxx with the name
in the preceding list.

Fecha: Jue 20 March 2006 22:57

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

B Vaughan wrote:

On 30 May 2006 04:05:24 -0700, wrote:

There are many "free" ISPs in Italy. The catch is that you pay by the
minute for the phone call, and the cost is more than other phone
calls. The phone company splits the take with the ISP.

libero, tiscali, virgilio, interfree, and tim are just some of them.
All of them can be reached by
www.xxx.it, replacing xxx with the name
in the preceding list.

Is there such a thing in Italy as a place where one can bring one's laptop
and use a wireless connection--either for free or for a fee? I've never seen
one, so I don't bother bringing my laptop with me. But if I could find
places like that conveniently, I'd much rather bring my own laptop than use
a computer at the internet points available.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old May 30th, 2006, 09:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Ken Blake wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:

On 30 May 2006 04:05:24 -0700, wrote:

There are many "free" ISPs in Italy. The catch is that you pay by the
minute for the phone call, and the cost is more than other phone
calls. The phone company splits the take with the ISP.

libero, tiscali, virgilio, interfree, and tim are just some of them.
All of them can be reached by
www.xxx.it, replacing xxx with the name
in the preceding list.

Is there such a thing in Italy as a place where one can bring one's laptop
and use a wireless connection--either for free or for a fee? I've never seen
one, so I don't bother bringing my laptop with me. But if I could find
places like that conveniently, I'd much rather bring my own laptop than use
a computer at the internet points available.

Yes, wifi is growing everywhere. I'm based in the UK, and can 'roam' on
the wifi provided by Telecom Italia. I don't know if it's an exhaustive
list, but UK's BT Openzone lists around 700 hotspots in Italy just with
that provider, and you can be sure there are others- probably many
thousands. I haven't tried it there, but have done in other countries
with no problems.

If you have a US subscription, then you might be able to roam with a
provider in Italy. If not, you can usually buy a subscription direct
from the wifi provider abroad, with a credit card, and some other forms
of payment- for example by mobile phone in some cases.

There are free wifi spots too, or ones which are free if you make a
purchase in a cafe etc. However, my experience is that it is generally
easier to randomly find a paid service than a free one.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much. I went to the BT Openzone website and searched for
hotspots in Rome. Unfortunately most of these seem to be in hotels. I assume
that hotels would not be happy with someone not their customer walking in
off the street with a laptop and using their service.

Old May 30th, 2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Ken Blake wrote:

[...]

If they're big enough, they might not even notice. Remember, there are
no doubt other providers there you can use. In large UK cities now, I'm
finding that wifi coverage is getting close to total in some areas, even
on the street, and often with more than one provider! If you persist
with the laptop, I'm sure you'll find that you can use it.

Old May 30th, 2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Tue, 30 May 2006 12:42:49 -0700, "Ken Blake"
wrote:

Is there such a thing in Italy as a place where one can bring one's laptop
and use a wireless connection--either for free or for a fee? I've never seen
one, so I don't bother bringing my laptop with me. But if I could find
places like that conveniently, I'd much rather bring my own laptop than use
a computer at the internet points available.

There are wifi points in Italy, but don't ask me where. Not near where
I live. There is absolutely no broadband access for our whole valley
here in Le Marche (probably not the only one, either), nor on the
surrounding hills.