Sweden? or Czech Republic in December

Old July 15th, 2006, 09:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Sweden? or Czech Republic in December

All,

I have an opportunity to visite Prague, Czech Republic or Stockholm,
Sweden for a week in December of this year. I understand that the
weather in will not be the best.

I'd like to go sightseeing and get a feeling of the city. Now given the
weather conditions and such a short timeline: Should I go to Prague or
to Sweden!

Any advice would be greatly apprciated.

Cheers,

Ira

Random Link:
http://www.amerikanskauniversitet.co...iversitet.html

Old July 15th, 2006, 12:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Don Wiss

On 15 Jul 2006 01:08:50 -0700, wrote:

I have an opportunity to visite Prague, Czech Republic or Stockholm,
Sweden for a week in December of this year. I understand that the
weather in will not be the best.

And not much sunlight:
http://sunrisesunset.com/calendar.as...06&time_type=0

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old July 15th, 2006, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

All -

Thanks for the tips :-)

At this point I am inclining more towards Prague, but we'll see.

Thanks again!

Ira

Random Link: http://www.magyarangolszotar.com/z/zabnyakleves.html

Old July 15th, 2006, 10:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Don Wiss

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Lennart Petersen wrote:

Save Stockholm for a summer visit, June through August ,when it's wonderful,
second to nothing in Europe.

Yes. Next June Sweden is my planned destination. I will be able to eat
dinner someplace and still have hours of light to bicycle back to where I'm
staying. I need to pick three places where I will spend four nights each.
The last could be Stockholm. Then I need two others in bicycle friendly
areas, but are different from each other. Each non-traveling day I will
bicycle in a different direction. I like old architecture.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim[_1_]

Default Sweden?

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Lennart Petersen wrote:

Save Stockholm for a summer visit, June through August ,when it's
wonderful,
second to nothing in Europe.

Yes. Next June Sweden is my planned destination. I will be able to eat
dinner someplace and still have hours of light to bicycle back to where
I'm
staying. I need to pick three places where I will spend four nights each.
The last could be Stockholm. Then I need two others in bicycle friendly
areas, but are different from each other. Each non-traveling day I will
bicycle in a different direction. I like old architecture.

Then you need to visit Roslagen and the Foundry Villages.
A fascinating view of 1700 century life. This area is just north
of Stockholm and you could do it as a day trip (or three) by
catching a train part of the way, but you might like to base
yourself somewhere nearer (like Norrtalje) for a couple of
days.

Other places that make good cycling a Lake Siljan and
the towns of Mora, Leksland and Rattvik which also
have some historical interest and Bohuslan (the coast
north of Goteborg (you can take the train to Stromstad),
but ISTR that's a bit lacking in architecture interest.

As I've commented before, mainland Sweden outside
Stockholm, doesn't do Historical Buildings very well.
There's lots of things from the Industrial Era and lots
of Neolithic stuff, and virtually nothing of much interest
in between.

HTH

tim

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Old July 17th, 2006, 02:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Don Wiss

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006, tim wrote:

Don Wiss wrote:
[...]

Hi Tim,

When I was in Denmark last June I made a day trip to Sweden and I purchased
a book "Bicycle routes in Sweden." (Only that title is in English.) It will
take some time for me to find where the cities you list are on the 13 maps
inside. (Not detailed maps, but region maps.) One thing I don't do is
travel with my luggage on the bike. Through I can do 100 km days (thanks to
the long days). So I have to pick centrally located spots with good day
trips out of.

In addition to charming old villages I do like to be in pretty countryside.
And to be on bike paths away from the motor vehicles.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Guys,

This is so great. Thanks for the tips and useful links. I hope I'll
have good time!

Cheers

Ira

Random Link:
http://www.magyarangolszotar.com/z/z...oz-ID2085.html

Old July 17th, 2006, 09:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim[_1_]

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006, tim wrote:

Don Wiss wrote:
[...]

Roslagen is NE of Stockholm. The trip is probably
100 KM one way. There are limited rail options to
take to the other way, but there might be a bus you
can take your bike on?

One thing I don't do is
travel with my luggage on the bike. Through I can do 100 km days (thanks
the long days). So I have to pick centrally located spots with good day
trips out of.

In addition to charming old villages I do like to be in pretty
countryside.
And to be on bike paths away from the motor vehicles.

Then I definately think that a tour around Lake Siljan and the
region of Dalarna is for you.
It is towards the centre of Sweden just above a line from
Stockholm to Oslo. It's a 4-5 hour train journey from Stockholm.

Tim

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).