Which Spanish city do you like the most? - Results as 24/03/2007

Old March 24th, 2007, 11:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Which Spanish city do you like the most? - Results as 24/03/2007

Here there are the provisional results of the poll we are running at
ValeVenga´s forum (http://www.valevenga.com/forum).

As 24/03/2007, the top-ten cities of Spain according to our visitors

1 - Toledo 18%
2 - Granada 15%
3 - Sevilla 13%
4 - Barcelona 12%
5 - Ibiza 11%
6 - Madrid 10%
7 - Salamanca 6%
8 - Santiago de Compostela 6%
9 - Córdoba 3%
10 - San Sebastián 2%

Poll is still open for new voters!

Old March 26th, 2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bob fusillo

see
http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/03/25...tml?ref=travel

Old March 26th, 2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:21:37 -0400, "bob fusillo"
wrote:

see
http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/03/25...tml?ref=travel

not for me!
--
Mike Reid
UK walking, food, photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

wrote:

see
http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/03/25...tml?ref=travel

not for me!

I didn't go to Spain for "cutting-edge design and cuisine."
I can get that in Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne any time I
wish. I went for the cultural differences compared with my
home and the fascinating older sections. I've only been to
three cities, all quite different, but Madrid was, in my
subjective view, much less interesting than Barcelona and
Granada was simply fascinating.

Others may say the same about Seville, or Cordoba - maybe
next time for those. But if I could only ever see one
Spanish city again, it would be Granada.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Calif Bill

wrote:

see
http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/03/25...tml?ref=travel

not for me!

I didn't go to Spain for "cutting-edge design and cuisine."
I can get that in Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne any time I
wish. I went for the cultural differences compared with my
home and the fascinating older sections. I've only been to
three cities, all quite different, but Madrid was, in my
subjective view, much less interesting than Barcelona and
Granada was simply fascinating.

Others may say the same about Seville, or Cordoba - maybe
next time for those. But if I could only ever see one
Spanish city again, it would be Granada.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/

We loved our stay in Majorca. Stayed in Port-o-sollier.

Old March 27th, 2007, 07:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:52:20 GMT, Alan S wrote:

I didn't go to Spain for "cutting-edge design and cuisine."
I can get that in Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne any time I
wish.

same for me in London. People keep telling me I should see SF or NY, I
say theres more difference (of types I like) in Spain, which is an
hour or so away!

I went for the cultural differences compared with my
home and the fascinating older sections.

I love wandering about in the old quarters. I dont bother much with
galeries and museums, which is a reason Madrid is low down my list.

I've only been to
three cities, all quite different, but Madrid was, in my
subjective view, much less interesting than Barcelona and
Granada was simply fascinating.

Old Granada or the main city?
I find Barcelona the place thats totally over rated. Its mostly a grid
plan large city, I like the Ramblas, but theres getting too many
Ryan-chavs for comfort. Its safer from pickpockets now I think, but is
the character going. For instance, when I first went, there were
(surprisingly attractive) prostitutes stationed at the harbour end,
now they are pushed out (dangeruosly?) to the airport and IIRC
football stadium. A community policeman on every corner doesnt give
that i'm Rick in Casablanca feeling :-) Perhaps I should go to
Casablanca!

Others may say the same about Seville, or Cordoba - maybe
next time for those. But if I could only ever see one
Spanish city again, it would be Granada.

I highly commend Cordoba, for the restaurants and the Mezquita and the
feel. Sevilla is a bit big, but likeable, this hotel is lovely
"http://wwwfell-walker.co.uk/juderia.htm"
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 04:18:19 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

We loved our stay in Majorca. Stayed in Port-o-sollier.

Soller is a good choice, did you take the train to the capital?
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 07:50:30 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:52:20 GMT, Alan S wrote:

I didn't go to Spain for "cutting-edge design and cuisine."
I can get that in Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne any time I
wish.

same for me in London. People keep telling me I should see SF or NY, I
say theres more difference (of types I like) in Spain, which is an
hour or so away!

I went for the cultural differences compared with my
home and the fascinating older sections.

I love wandering about in the old quarters. I dont bother much with
galeries and museums, which is a reason Madrid is low down my list.

I've only been to
three cities, all quite different, but Madrid was, in my
subjective view, much less interesting than Barcelona and
Granada was simply fascinating.

Old Granada or the main city?

Alabaicin and Alhambra - but we wandered around the town in
the suburban buses and enjoyed that as well. However, it was
the Arab Quarter (we stayed in Calle Elvira) and the
Alhambra/Generaliffe that stay in the memory.

I find Barcelona the place thats totally over rated. Its mostly a grid
plan large city, I like the Ramblas, but theres getting too many
Ryan-chavs for comfort. Its safer from pickpockets now I think, but is
the character going. For instance, when I first went, there were
(surprisingly attractive) prostitutes stationed at the harbour end,
now they are pushed out (dangeruosly?) to the airport and IIRC
football stadium. A community policeman on every corner doesnt give
that i'm Rick in Casablanca feeling :-) Perhaps I should go to
Casablanca!

I enjoyed it. Totally different to Madrid and Granada, I
went without expectations; again we wandered on public
transport; Sagrada Familias was fascinating.

Others may say the same about Seville, or Cordoba - maybe
next time for those. But if I could only ever see one
Spanish city again, it would be Granada.

I highly commend Cordoba, for the restaurants and the Mezquita and the
feel. Sevilla is a bit big, but likeable, this hotel is lovely
"http://wwwfell-walker.co.uk/juderia.htm"

If ever there's a next time...

Cheers, Alan, Australia