Brits tell Emirates Turn off those plane cameras!

Old February 27th, 2004, 08:07 PM
nobody

Default Brits tell Emirates Turn off those plane cameras!

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the captain speaking. Because, on our final
approach to Heathrow, we will be overflying an area where residents like to
sunbathe naked on their rooftops, we require that all blinds be closed."

As others have said, the cameras are no different than looking out the window.
I think this is more of a case of residents surpised to learn that cameras
have been in use for a number of years and fear that passengers aboard
aircraft might have seen something that wouldn't have been seen through
aircraft windows.

I think that residents also underestimate the speed of the aircraft. The thing
is still going at 140 knots in the air and a downward camera will have the
landscape pass by very quickly during final approach, especially since its
field of vision would likely be fairly narrow (unless it has a fisheye lens).

What emirates should do is offer a free flight to one of the representative of
the residents so that they can judge by themselves that the cameras are no
more intrusive than the windows.
Old February 27th, 2004, 08:12 PM
mtravelkay

Nige wrote:
If I lived under a flightpath to Gatwick and learned of this new intrusion
into my 'space' then I would join the band of protesters.

Would you require a law so that all of the shades on the plane must be
drawn? How much detail do you think is going to be seen and for how long?

Old February 27th, 2004, 08:15 PM
mtravelkay

nobody wrote:

[...]

Perhaps it can be a free one way flight to the airline's home.

Old February 27th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Mxsmanic

Miguel Cruz writes:

That's pretty ridiculous in a country where the police has cameras on every
corner.

Both those cameras aren't operated by people who look like terrorists.

You can barely tell a house from a tree on the tiny screens on the plane.
Anyone can get better detail from readily-available satellite photos.

Don't give anyone any ideas.

Old February 27th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Mxsmanic

I think the people in the village overestimate their attractiveness to
the passengers flying overhead.

Nige writes:

If I lived under a flightpath to Gatwick and learned of this new intrusion
into my 'space' then I would join the band of protesters. Surely the
villagers of Dormansland are merely expressing their discontent at yet
another intrusion. Already Gatwick has grown into the busiest airport during
the summer months for package holiday planes. Not to talk about Emirates and
all the other airlines.
It is during the summer when you want to enjoy your garden. Already the
villagers are really disappointed by the increasing frequency of early
morning/ late evening flights.
OK - so I suppose they can all sell up and move to a quieter location. But
just think of the upheaval and the inconvience?
And then the UK Government has been equivocating over the decision about
expanding Gatwick to provide a second runway at some point in the future.
That would surely be an intolerable further nuisance to the villagers.
So it is only correct that they choose to make a point about this further
intrusion into their space.
This is true British Democracy. It is not 'whingeing' or NIMBYism.
Nige

Old February 27th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Keith Anderson

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:06:38 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

I think the people in the village overestimate their attractiveness to
the passengers flying overhead.

Mind you, Miss Gwendoline Ponsonby-Fforbes of No. 36 Acacia Avenue is
a bit of a stunner when she's out in the back garden sunbathing
topless. The tall hedge means that Mr Carruthers at No. 38 can't cop
an eyeful, whereas Co-Pilot Omar Gawd on XYZ 214 from Dubai can see
the lot. And to a true blue Brit that's just not cricket donchaknow?

Old February 27th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Mxsmanic

Keith Anderson writes:

... whereas Co-Pilot Omar Gawd on XYZ 214 from Dubai can see
the lot.

Let us hope that the copilot is paying attention to more important
things at the time of final approach.

Old February 28th, 2004, 12:47 AM
Bernd Felsche

Mxsmanic writes:

Miguel Cruz writes:

That's pretty ridiculous in a country where the police has
cameras on every corner.

Both those cameras aren't operated by people who look like terrorists.

Get with it: *Anybody* with a camera looks like a terrorist.
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!
X against HTML mail | Copy me into your ~/.signature
/ \ and postings | to help me spread!
Old February 28th, 2004, 12:55 AM
DN

wrote:

I think the people in the village overestimate their attractiveness to
the passengers flying overhead.

Mind you, Miss Gwendoline Ponsonby-Fforbes of No. 36 Acacia Avenue is
a bit of a stunner when she's out in the back garden sunbathing
topless. The tall hedge means that Mr Carruthers at No. 38 can't cop
an eyeful, whereas Co-Pilot Omar Gawd on XYZ 214 from Dubai can see
the lot. And to a true blue Brit that's just not cricket donchaknow?

Bloody funny mate LOL.

I keep trying to tell my kids and grand kids, twits like this actually
exist in Blighty and they think I'm exaggerating (wish they would call me a
racist).

DN

SNIP