NCL Dawn - Freak Wave

Old April 16th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Bobbye Haupt

Default NCL Dawn - Freak Wave

Miami, Fla., April 16, 2005 - Last night on her return to New York,
Norwegian Dawn experienced extremely rough weather. Although the weather had
become slightly calmer at daybreak, the ship was hit by a freak wave that
caused two windows to break in two different cabins. There was flooding in
62 cabins and four passengers were hurt with cuts and bruises.

The safety and integrity of the ship was in no way compromised by this
incident.

Norwegian Dawn will be diverting to Charleston, South Carolina to conduct
repairs. The ship will arrive late on Saturday afternoon. Passengers whose
cabins were flooded will be flown home from Charleston.

Once repairs are complete, the ship will continue to New York. At this time,
the company is unsure of the exact departure time of Norwegian Dawn from
Charleston. The earliest the ship can arrive in New York is Monday morning.

Travel agents with passengers on the April 17th cruise are being contacted
to inform them of the delay. NCL has set up a special number, 1-800-625-5672
for passengers to call for updates. In addition, updates will be posted on
the Web site.

The company will provide updates as they become available.

Old April 16th, 2005, 09:34 PM
George Leppla

"Bobbye Haupt" wrote in message
Miami, Fla., April 16, 2005 - Last night on her return to New York,
Norwegian Dawn experienced extremely rough weather. Although the weather
had become slightly calmer at daybreak, the ship was hit by a freak wave
that caused two windows to break in two different cabins. There was
flooding in 62 cabins and four passengers were hurt with cuts and bruises.

snip
Once repairs are complete, the ship will continue to New York. At this
time, the company is unsure of the exact departure time of Norwegian Dawn
from Charleston. The earliest the ship can arrive in New York is Monday
morning.

I just talked to NCL and right now, the tentative schedule is for the ship
to arrive in NY very early Monday morning. Passengers scheduled for the
4/17 sailing should be available for boarding on Monday at 9 AM.

That is subject to change.

--
George in PA http://www.countryside-travel.com

Miracle in May - http://www.cruisemaster.com/miracle.htm
The Mother of All Group Cruises 2 - http://www.moagc2.com/

Old April 16th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:34:54 -0400, George Leppla wrote:

[...]

Any word as to what cabins or the location on the ship?
Old April 16th, 2005, 11:05 PM
JTK

I am on that sailing and I was told the ship will be in at noon on
Monday and embarkation will start at 3 (hopefully) and sailing is at 5.
We are losing a day but NCL is offering 1/7 of the cruise and 200.00 per
cabin in credit as compensation. The damage was to cabins in the front
of the ship on decks 9 and 10. cruisecritic.com message boards has info
if you are interested.

Old April 17th, 2005, 08:05 AM
CruiseJournals.com

Would you like to write about your experience and post it on
cruisejournals.com? We'd be very happy if you shared your story with
us.

http://cruisejournals.com

Old April 17th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Mark O. Polo

Although this is a fluid situation, NCL has published a tentative
schedule for the Norwegian Dawn for next week:

http://www.ncl.com/news/Update_041605.htm

Aloha

Old April 17th, 2005, 11:28 AM
JJ

NY Daily News details

'Freak' wave rocks cruise

70-footer hits N.Y.-bound ship

BY JONATHAN LEMIRE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

A "freak wave" more than 70 feet high slammed a luxury cruise ship steaming
for New York yesterday, flooding cabins, injuring passengers and forcing the
liner to stop for emergency repairs.
The Norwegian Dawn, an opulent ocean liner almost 1,000 feet long, limped
into Charleston, S.C., yesterday afternoon after it hit vicious seas in an
overnight storm off Florida - then was creamed by the rogue wave after dawn.

"[My room] was destroyed by stuff getting thrown all over the place,"
passenger James Fraley, of Keansburg, N.J., told NBC News before embarking
on the 12-hour drive home because he didn't want to set foot on the ship
again.

"It was pure chaos."

The ship, which sailed from New York last Sunday with 2,500 passengers, had
been due back today.

It weathered most of a wild storm that featured gale-force winds and choppy
seas. But then the vessel, longer than three football fields, was suddenly
smacked by the "freak wave," said Norwegian Cruise Line spokeswoman Susan
Robison. It broke a pair of windows and flooded 62 cabins, she said.

"The sea had actually calmed down when the wave seemed to come out of thin
air at daybreak," Robison said. "Our captain, who has 20 years on the job,
said he never saw anything like it."

The tidal wave wrecked windows on the ninth and 10th floors and wreaked
havoc below decks, destroying furniture, the onboard theater, and a store
that sold expensive gifts.

It also injured four passengers and terrified scores more, many of whom lost
belongings and were being flown back to New York early this morning.

"My daughter said people were freaking out," said Mel Blanck, 74, whose
daughter, Caren Hogan, 42, of Matawan, N.J., was vacationing aboard with her
family. "She said some doors were ripped off and broken glass was
everywhere."

In a message Hogan left on her parents' voice mail, she said her ship "feels
like the Titanic" and described "water running everywhere, with people
getting hurt and panicking."

"She felt lucky that she and her children weren't hurt," said Blanck, whose
daughter had called from South Carolina last night. "She's calm now, but she
said it was a nightmare."

The floating city of a ship, which was commissioned in 2002, left New York a
week ago for Orlando, Miami and the Bahamas. It had started heading home
when it ran into the wicked weather.

During the storm, one frightened passenger called a relative who relayed the
information to the Coast Guard, which escorted the ship into Charleston
yesterday.

"The ocean is unforgiving; it doesn't care who is out there," said Petty
Officer Bobby Nash of the Coast Guard in Florida. "This could have happened
to anyone."

Repairs were done last night, and the ship resumed it's voyage around
midnight after a team of Coast Guard inspectors gave it approval.

Many of the Norwegian Dawn's passengers remained on the ship while it was
readied for the sea again, Robison said. The battered vessel is expected to
return to New York tomorrow.

All passengers would be given a partial refund, a credit for a future trip
and access to the ship's open bar, Robison said.

Originally published on April 17, 2005

Old April 17th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Tudor Jones

JTK ) writes:

............ The damage was to cabins in the front
of the ship on decks 9 and 10.

Decks 9 and 10 are a long way up. That must have
been some wave.

\/
/\ T.P.Jones.
/ \ www.storm.ca/~tjones/index.html

Old April 17th, 2005, 05:14 PM
shoreguy

It was. Estimated at 25 meters or over 75 feet. As I understand it the
cabins that where the windows broke were the forward facing suites.
Passengers booked into 9502 have been told they trip is cancelled for this
week. Can't imagine waking up to the sliding doors in my cabin that is full
of Atlantic sea water. Those below I am sure had a scare. Imagine being
down on deck 5 fwd. as the window in your cabin is covered in water and then
water starts to run down from the decks above.

Old April 17th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Old Sarge

"Bobbye Haupt" wrote in message
Miami, Fla., April 16, 2005 - Last night on her return to New York,
Norwegian Dawn experienced extremely rough weather. Although the weather
had become slightly calmer at daybreak, the ship was hit by a freak wave
that caused two windows to break in two different cabins. There was
flooding in 62 cabins and four passengers were hurt with cuts and bruises.

WOW and I thought we had a rough ride when we went to Bermuda out of NYC 10
years ago on the Dreamward (Norwegian Dream now). We hit the tail end of a
hurricane both going and returning. I had sea legs and it didn't bother me
at all. The waves were coming over the bow of the ship and since the head
of our bed was toward the bow, we had one hell of a ride that first night.
Like sleeping on a see saw.