How to pack light, some tips

Old August 29th, 2007, 03:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default How to pack light, some tips

congokid wrote:
In article , Spehro
Pefhany writes

Now, taking the DSLR or not is less of a no-brainer, and I don't
even
have all the lenses I want yet. Thousands of dollars worth of
stuff,
bulky, fragile, easily stolen, but it delivers a tangible benefit
in
terms of potential quality of photos compared to a tiny
point-and-shoot camera. Snapshot vs. the kind of photos that can be
blown up, mounted, and put on the wall. Notebook computers
likewise,
though the last family mini vacation we went one we brought two
notebooks so there was no waiting. ;-)

You didn't go on holiday really - you just moved your office.

Don't know about him, but this is me five minutes before leaving for
my last vacation.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1251/...45cbc838_b.jpg

There are both DSLR with lenses and a laptop loaded.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old August 29th, 2007, 04:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Don't know about him, but this is me five minutes before leaving for
my last vacation.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1251/...45cbc838_b.jpg

There are both DSLR with lenses and a laptop loaded.

So you're not flying then...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 29th, 2007, 05:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
J. Clarke[_2_]

William Black wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Don't know about him, but this is me five minutes before leaving
for
my last vacation.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1251/...45cbc838_b.jpg

There are both DSLR with lenses and a laptop loaded.

So you're not flying then...

Some people might say I was . . .

Old August 29th, 2007, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
William Black wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Don't know about him, but this is me five minutes before leaving
for
my last vacation.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1251/...45cbc838_b.jpg

There are both DSLR with lenses and a laptop loaded.

So you're not flying then...

Some people might say I was . . .

Some people said that about me the last time I was on a motorcycle.

I was, for a short time, until I hit the ground...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 29th, 2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
J. Clarke[_2_]

William Black wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
William Black wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Don't know about him, but this is me five minutes before leaving
for
my last vacation.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1251/...45cbc838_b.jpg

There are both DSLR with lenses and a laptop loaded.

So you're not flying then...

Some people might say I was . . .

Some people said that about me the last time I was on a motorcycle.

I was, for a short time, until I hit the ground...

Ouch. Hope you didn't get hurt too bad.

Old August 29th, 2007, 09:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
William Black wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
William Black wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Don't know about him, but this is me five minutes before leaving
for
my last vacation.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1251/...45cbc838_b.jpg

There are both DSLR with lenses and a laptop loaded.

So you're not flying then...

Some people might say I was . . .

Some people said that about me the last time I was on a motorcycle.

I was, for a short time, until I hit the ground...

Ouch. Hope you didn't get hurt too bad.

Broken ankle, serious bruising, on sticks for twelve weeks, off work for
sixteen, some nerve damage, I still get twinges when it's going to rain...

Oh yes, a seriously dead BMW flat twin (it bounced off the car and across
the street and into a wall), a pair of jeans and wax cotton jacket in
shreds.

The lady got out of her car, looked down at me, said 'Sorry, I didn't see
you', got back into her car and drove off leaving me in the hands of
passing bystanders and outside a shop which, fortunately, is run by an old
friend.

Still, she got seven points on her license and a huge fine, three points
for 'driving without due care' and four for 'leaving the scene of an
accident'.

I got an ambulance ride and a lot of police interviews, followed by a
substantial cheque about a year later...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
J. Clarke[_2_]

William Black wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
William Black wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
William Black wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Don't know about him, but this is me five minutes before
leaving
for
my last vacation.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1251/...45cbc838_b.jpg

There are both DSLR with lenses and a laptop loaded.

So you're not flying then...

Some people might say I was . . .

Some people said that about me the last time I was on a
motorcycle.

I was, for a short time, until I hit the ground...

Ouch. Hope you didn't get hurt too bad.

Broken ankle, serious bruising, on sticks for twelve weeks, off
work for sixteen, some nerve damage, I still get twinges when it's
going to rain...

Glad it wasn't worse.

Oh yes, a seriously dead BMW flat twin (it bounced off the car and
across the street and into a wall), a pair of jeans and wax cotton
jacket in shreds.

The lady got out of her car, looked down at me, said 'Sorry, I
didn't see you', got back into her car and drove off leaving me in
the hands of passing bystanders and outside a shop which,
fortunately, is run by an old friend.

It's amazing the things that people "don't see". Four of us were
riding along behind a bright yellow dump truck looking for a place to
pass when all of a sudden it locks all 16 wheels as some woman in an
econobox pulls out of a side street immediately in front of it.

Still, she got seven points on her license and a huge fine, three
points for 'driving without due care' and four for 'leaving the
scene
of an accident'.

There should be a worse penalty for "leaving the scene of an accident
in which someone is lying on the road bleeding".

I got an ambulance ride and a lot of police interviews, followed by
substantial cheque about a year later...

At least they caught her.

Old August 29th, 2007, 10:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Doesn't Frequently Mop

Make credence recognised that on Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:17:17 GMT,
"William Black" has scripted:

Broken ankle, serious bruising, on sticks for twelve weeks, off work for
sixteen, some nerve damage, I still get twinges when it's going to rain...

Oh yes, a seriously dead BMW flat twin (it bounced off the car and across
the street and into a wall), a pair of jeans and wax cotton jacket in
shreds.

The lady got out of her car, looked down at me, said 'Sorry, I didn't see
you', got back into her car and drove off leaving me in the hands of
passing bystanders and outside a shop which, fortunately, is run by an old
friend.

Still, she got seven points on her license and a huge fine, three points
for 'driving without due care' and four for 'leaving the scene of an
accident'.

I got an ambulance ride and a lot of police interviews, followed by a
substantial cheque about a year later...

Y'mean you got through all of that, and got a cheque?!!!??!?

Betcha glad you don't live in the states!
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Zee

On Aug 21, 7:46 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Chris Blunt wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 06:26:47 GMT, "sharx35"
wrote:

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:58:18 +0300, Markku Grönroos
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" kirjoitti
om...

I carry a small bottle of shampoo, because I don't like the free
stuff. Maybe 200ml, which could last for several weeks. Not
having a mobile phone seems silly.

Why? When travelling on holiday, you need a phone. I don't need
one.

I find a phone to keep in touch with people even more useful when
I'm traveling than it is at home. It also serves as a camera, an
alarm clock, a GPS, and a way to check my emails. Something so
compact that does all that and only weighs around 100g easily
justifies being taken along on any trips I make.

Chris

They take lousy quality pictures.

In fact I think the 5 megapixel camera on my Nokia N95 takes better
pictures than my Canon IXUS which I bought only a couple of years
ago.
It may not be a professional quality camera, I don't think anyone
would describe the quality as lousy.

No, you do NOT need GPS unless you are,
perhaps, on safari and surely the OPERATORS of the safari will take
care of THAT need.

No, I certainly don't *need* GPS, but its was very nice to have
while
driving around Thailand a few weeks ago. On several occasions it
made
finding locations we were visiting a lot easier.

E-mails can be checked at any one of the MILLIONS of cyber cafes
in the world.

Of course, and that's probably what I'd do if I wanted to do any
serious work online. The advantage for me is being able to check
instantly from anywhere whether there's any email that needs
attending
to in the first place, without even having to go near an internet
cafe.

Personally I've never gotten an email that _needed_ checking. If
someone really wants to get hold of me they can call and if they want
to get hold of me when I'm on vacation they can bloody well leave a
message and wait until I get home.

The cell phone is for _my_ convenience, not for the convenience of
others. While I always carry it, unless I'm using it or expecting a
call from someone I want to talk to, it's turned off.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Well when I travel either with my friends or family, I always bring my
cell phone and notebook with me. My mobile is always on just in case
someone I "want" to talk will call me. I just ignore those calls or
text messages if its not important. My notebook is very important with
me. More than half of it use is not work related so I'm bringing it
for my own pleasure like hooking up on the internet for forums I
regularly visit, news website I always check and I also use it for
making Onesuite voip calls which is very inexpensive compare if I'm
going to use my mobile or worst hotel phones which will jack up your
bills unnecessary.

Aside from those things, I always bring with me paracetamol and some
pain killers. You'll never know when you need them and just enough
clothes to last my vacation.