Travel With The Right Type Of Car GPS

Old November 26th, 2007, 09:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

Default Travel With The Right Type Of Car GPS

"sharx35" wrote in message

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in
message ...

"Rog'" wrote in message
"sharx35" wrote:
I've never been lost and NEVER felt frustrated using
paper maps. Grow some spine, eh.
-----------------
Car GPS is a toy for adults with pretty colors and it talks
to you! Folks, we do not need NASA's mission control
to drive somewhere. But it does save guys from having to
stop and ask directions.

I did that once, while driving thru a National Forest. Oh,
the humiliation! I asked, "Can you help me. I don't know
where I am." The lady said, "Don't worry, I know where
you are."

I disagree, driving in strange countries with no navigator a GPS
is worth its weight in gold. Pulling over to study a map
in Rome , NYC or Boston isnt a good alternative

Fiddling with a GPS or any other gadget WHILE driving is also NOT a good
alternative. Not save to drive and use those devices at the same time.
Ditto for maps.

I dont have to fiddle. I set the final destination and follow the prompts,
all I need to worry about is driving.

Last week I had to drive into the centre of a city I'd never visited before
and find an address in the centre of a complex one way system.
The SatNav made it easy. Yes I could have got there without it
but it would have been a LOT more stressful. I have been driving
almost 40 years and GPS is one of the few things thats made driving
better.

Keith

Old November 26th, 2007, 11:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:06:28 -0800 (PST), Jim Davis
wrote:

Why does anyone? The world is full of "unnecessary toys". Cell
Phones, Ipods, TV, Radio, DVD players, video games. Just ask any
Amish person.

I wonder if the Luddite uses any of these as well as many other
"unnecessary" toys.

It's possible to survive without a computer for that matter.

Old November 27th, 2007, 12:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

wrote:
Why does anyone? The world is full of "unnecessary toys". Cell
Phones, Ipods, TV, Radio, DVD players, video games. Just ask any
Amish person.

I wonder if the Luddite uses any of these as well as many other
"unnecessary" toys.

It's possible to survive without a computer for that matter.

True, but without the computer, we wouldn't be talking about it.
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
On Nov 26, 2:17 am, "sharx35" wrote:
"Jim Davis" wrote in message

On Nov 25, 5:34 pm, "sharx35" wrote:
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in

"Rog'" wrote in message
.. .
"sharx35" wrote:
[...]

I recently rented a car with it in Germany. The instructions
were in German and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off
or reset the last route . It kept telling me in German to turn
around to return to the airport.

Try asking somebody next time. Rental companies are typically
happy to give advice.

Keith- Hide quoted text -

There's nothing to fiddle with. It's all voice commands. It tells
you to get ready for a turn 2 miles out, and then tells you of the
turn when you get to it.

Uh huh. Whatever. Why do you feel the need to justify your existence by
the
use of unnecessary toys?- Hide quoted text -

Why does anyone? The world is full of "unnecessary toys". Cell
Phones, Ipods, TV, Radio, DVD players, video games. Just ask any
Amish person.

I'm no Luddite. My IP career started back in 1971 when I operated an IBM
360/25. I have Call Display on my phone and NO other options as it is My
phone and why should I have MY calls interrupted by Call Waiting. I find NO
need to have recorded music on tap whereever I go. It's enought to have it
AT HOME or IN THE CAR. Why, in the name of all that is right, does one have
to walk around with a zombie with head phones on during 100% of their waking
hours? Laugh if you want, but MY way of living/frugality/commonsense enabled
me to retire from FULL time work at the age of 42. Yes, FREEDOM 42. :You
insecure types who need all your toys to feel complete will NEVER be able to
get off the teat of the rat race.

Old November 27th, 2007, 01:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in
message ...

"Rog'" wrote in message
"sharx35" wrote:
[...]

Hell, I could buy 500 GPS units if I wanted but WHY? I simply LOOK at a map
before going somewhere new, find the destination, plan a route and that's
it. SOME of us have minds capable of retaining such data long enough to get
to our destination. No doubt, at the store, you are helpless without a
calculator to help you find which grocery product has the lowest unit cost.
Thanks to such skills, I was able to go part time at FORTY-TWO. Now, I work
about a QUARTER of the time, at most. But, hey, if you want to be chained to
the rat race to afford those toys, you obviously don't know what REAL
freedom is.

Old November 27th, 2007, 08:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

"sharx35" wrote in message

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in
message ...

"Rog'" wrote in message
"sharx35" wrote:
[...]

Are really you so insecure you need to insult everyone who disagrees with
you ?

Thanks to such skills, I was able to go part time at FORTY-TWO. Now, I
work about a QUARTER of the time, at most. But, hey, if you want to be
chained to the rat race to afford those toys, you obviously don't know
what REAL freedom is.

You know nothing about me my friend.

Keith

Old November 27th, 2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in
message ...

"Rog'" wrote in message
"sharx35" wrote:
[...]

Your failure to deny my allegations simply confirms them.

Old November 28th, 2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:55:35 -0800 (PST), Jim Davis
wrote:

True, but without the computer, we wouldn't be talking about it.

Actually that's my point. That poster wants his/her "toys" but thinks
anyone else's are ridiculous. They somehow are annoying and irritating
to that poster.

Old November 28th, 2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:32:23 -0000, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

Are really you so insecure you need to insult everyone who disagrees with
you ?

I've known a number of people like that over the years; so wrapped up
in their own external sense pf superiority that they don't realize how
ridiculous they appear. Most often it seems to come from a basic
internal sense of inferiority.
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

wrote:
True, but without the computer, we wouldn't be talking about it.

Actually that's my point. That poster wants his/her "toys" but thinks
anyone else's are ridiculous. They somehow are annoying and irritating
to that poster.

Well, everyone has their priorities. Most are fed up with the so
called "rat race". I, on the other hand, am one of the rats. I enjoy
my job, and retirement isn't anywhere in my mind. Since I am one of
five people in the world who specialize in our field, my job is secure
and pays top dollar. The five of us are treated very well.

My computer case is full of toys. Hell, things like that are just
pocket change. I can retire any time I wish, but it won't be soon.
And I won't try to push my lifestyle on anyone else.