Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

Old August 27th, 2009, 12:08 AM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

On 2009-08-25 05:32:42 -0400, SMS said:

ARL wrote:
We are mature couple from San Francisco.
We are taking our vacation in New York City on October 26 to Nov 1.
Please recommend 3 star hotel that is near the subway stations in
Queens or Brooklyn or NJ that is reasonably priced?

We are considering to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in
Weehawken, NJ on the Hudson.
But there is no MTA subway to that area, correct?
Everyday, we have to take the Waterway Ferry from the Lincoln Harbor
terminal to West 39th Street Midtown at $7.75 per person? How can we
get from this 39th Street Ferry Terminal to the MTA subway?

Thank you for your help.

Very bad idea what you're trying to do. Between the cost of the
transit, and the amount of time it takes, you won't save much, if any,
money. Also, when visiting Manhattan, it's often the case that you want
to go back to the hotel in the middle of the day, take a rest, then go
back out at night. If you have to travel back to Queens or NJ, you
won't do that.

Exactly. ;-)

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 27th, 2009, 12:10 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-26 14:01:01 -0400, "ATM" said:

"Slim" wrote in message

Have you considered any of the Affinia properties in Manhattan proper?

www.affinia.com

Yes, Slim. For Oct 26 to 31 (to avoid Halloween and NY Marathon),
Affinia Manhattan 3 star at W54@Broadway is $180 per night. But our
daughters stayed there this July for a week, and they told us this
hotel is not clean and quite filthy.

The Affinia Manhattan is on 31st Street and Seventh Avenue.

????????

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 27th, 2009, 12:12 AM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-26 14:05:33 -0400, "ATM" said:

"Brian" wrote in message
And depending on what they want to do in the evening, they might want
to shower and change although I was surprised by what people wore to
Broadway shows even on Sat. evenings.
The standard of dress seems to be declining rapidly. It had been a
couple of years since we had stayed in Manhattan.

Brian, we wish to go to the "Wicked" Broadway play, at Gershwin Theatre?
What is the dress code? What day of week and show time to get good
priced ticket and less crowed?

Dress shirt, slacks, shoes for men and a simple dress or pantsuit for
women is appropriate.

Though you WILL see flip-flops, bad "vacation" shirts and shorts on
both men and women.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 27th, 2009, 12:13 AM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-26 15:30:13 -0400, "Peter T. Daniels" said:

On Aug 26, 2:05*pm, "ATM" wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message

And depending on what they want to do in the evening, they might want
to shower and change although I was surprised by what people wore to
Broadway shows even on Sat. evenings.
The standard of dress seems to be declining rapidly. It had been a
couple of years since we had stayed in Manhattan.

Brian, we wish to go to the "Wicked" Broadway play, at Gershwin Theatre?
What is the dress code? What day of week and show time to get good priced
ticket and less crowed?

There's no such thing as a good-priced ticket to a Broadway show!

Even Wicked, which is several years old, probably mostly sells out in
advance, so you should get your tickets _now_. Matinees (usu. Wed,
Sat, Sun) are usually cheaper than evenings; Fri and Sat evenings may
be higher than weeknights.

People wear whatever to the theater. The air conditioning is usually
very effective. Almost no theaters have elevators, so if steps are a
concern, you're constrained to orchestra seats.

If you're less picky about which show(s) you see, you should go to the
TKTS booth in Times Square and line up (the line is long but moves
quickly) for "half"-price tickets to any Broadway or Off-Broadway show
that's not sold out (and various other events, too). Tix for that
evening go on sale at 3 pm (matinees I think at 11 am). There are
electronic scoreboards showing what's available -- but you better know
exactly what you want (and have 2nd and 3rd choices ready to go), and
have your cash/credit card out, when you get to the window!

You can also check www.hitshowclub.com for discounted tickets.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 27th, 2009, 02:11 AM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Michael Finfer

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Aug 26, 2:05 pm, "ATM" wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message

And depending on what they want to do in the evening, they might want
to shower and change although I was surprised by what people wore to
Broadway shows even on Sat. evenings.
The standard of dress seems to be declining rapidly. It had been a
couple of years since we had stayed in Manhattan.

Brian, we wish to go to the "Wicked" Broadway play, at Gershwin Theatre?
What is the dress code? What day of week and show time to get good priced
ticket and less crowed?

There's no such thing as a good-priced ticket to a Broadway show!

Even Wicked, which is several years old, probably mostly sells out in
advance, so you should get your tickets _now_. Matinees (usu. Wed,
Sat, Sun) are usually cheaper than evenings; Fri and Sat evenings may
be higher than weeknights.

We've had good success getting reasonably priced seats at the last
minute. House seats are released 48 hours prior to the performance.
Check Ticketmaster two days in advance if you don't mind taking a chance
on not getting in.

My wife and daughter were able to get orchestra fourth row center seats
for South Pacific last Thursday night for last Saturday.

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ
Old August 27th, 2009, 02:50 AM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Slim wrote:

Americans no longer have any sense of for what is appropriate clothing
these days.

I recall taking my daughter to NYC a few years ago. I think she was 13.
I made her bring a nice dress to wear to a Broadway show. Boy was I out
of touch with what people wear to shows these days.
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:00 AM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
\
If you're less picky about which show(s) you see, you should go to the
TKTS booth in Times Square and line up (the line is long but moves
quickly) for "half"-price tickets to any Broadway or Off-Broadway show
that's not sold out (and various other events, too).

No, actually he should go to the TKTS booth at South Seaport which has
much much shorter lines. It replaced the one that was in the WTC. And if
he follows my excellent advice and stays at the Best Western Seaport Inn
on Peck Slip, he'll be right by the TKTS booth.
"http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56"

Also check "http://www.broadwaybox.com/" for discount tickets. For a
mid-week show you can usually get good discounts. But for Wicked, which
is a top-tier show, discounts are unlikely, and you'll likely pay over
the regular price.

Don't forget to watch the New York City video at
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvF_nxXJO5s" for good advice about steep
discounts on Broadway shows, and other ways to save money in NYC.
Old August 27th, 2009, 05:47 AM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"SMS" wrote in message
Don't forget to watch the New York City video at
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvF_nxXJO5s" for good advice about steep
discounts on Broadway shows, and other ways to save money in NYC.

SMS, the New York City Theater Arts Commissioner's Center web site
www.nyctheaterarts.com
does not show Wicked. I assume you cannot get any discount ticket, even on
Oct 28 Wednesday 2pm, for this show?
On Broadway.com the cheapest Rear Mezzanine ticket cost $66.63 each. Can I
expect better, or just go for it?

Old August 27th, 2009, 01:03 PM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

On Aug 27, 12:47*am, "ATM" wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message

Don't forget to watch the New York City video at
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvF_nxXJO5s" for good advice about steep
discounts on Broadway shows, and other ways to save money in NYC.

SMS, the New York City Theater Arts Commissioner's Center web sitewww.nyctheaterarts.com
does not show Wicked. I assume you cannot get any discount ticket, even on
Oct 28 Wednesday 2pm, for this show?
On Broadway.com the cheapest Rear Mezzanine ticket cost $66.63 each. Can I
expect better, or just go for it?

_If_ there are any tickets _on the day of the performance_, at the
TKTS booth they will be "half" price (there's a hefty "fee" that goes
to a good cause).

I used to go to the WTC TKTS booth. I didn't know it moved to the
Seaport (I've never noticed it on the rare occasions I've gone near
the place).

It's not a pleasant area to visit -- jam-packed with tourists and no
one else, because the developers took over a vast area, very unlike
the model developments at Boston's Faneuil Hall and Baltimore's Inner
Harbor -- and transportation is less than convenient, so I wouldn't
second SMS's advice to stay there.
Old August 27th, 2009, 05:06 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Phil[_10_]

On 2009-08-22 22:21:38 -0400, Michael Finfer said:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

Newark Penn is 20 minutes on PATH from World Trade and 15 minutes on a
good day from Penn Station on NJ Transit. *NJT is more expensive ($4 one
way and $7.00 round trip-non-rush hours only). *You can get to 33rd St.
on PATH from Newark, but you have to change trains at Journal Square,
and it's a slow ride, about 50 minutes.

JSQ to 33 is 20 minutes tops. Late-nights and weekends you detour
through Hoboken, which adds 10-15 min.

I made a trip from Newark to 33rd while the WTC station was closed,
direct with no transfer. *It took 50 minutes.

So that means they would have to burn two hours a day getting to/from
the hotel.

Thats no bargain.

So who is suggesting they stay in Newark

There are many fancy hotels in "the new downtown" Jersey City, one
stop, 5 minutes, from WTC.

That is the time for the ride, but the trip has to be considered
"door-to-door".

You make it sound like its 5 minutes from the hotel (which could cost
just as much as one in the city) to WTC.

I guess you've never walked out the main entrance of the Hyatt and
crossed the street to the Exchange Place PATH entrance.

Thats right. I never have.

This isn't the first time that Mike has replied to a tourist's
questions with bull****.

Phil