Canada question

Old September 12th, 2003, 02:54 PM
c186282

Default Canada question

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:56:30 -0400, TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 23:35:45 -0230, "Mike"
wrote:

free flags in our beer boxes?
"c186282" wrote in message
r.com...
I just got back from another great trip to Canada. This time I went to
the Bruce Peninsula and the Georgian bay. It was my 6 months old baby
girl's first camping trip. The last time I was in Canada was in 2000.
This time I saw a lot more Canadian flags out flying than I remember
the last time. Has there been an increase in Canadian pride?

I have noticed that too.
More flags on private homes as well as municipal property. I think it
is a reaction to all the American flags flying after 9-11. It is not so
much an increase in Canadian "pride" as it is an increase in wanting to
set our identity as different from American. Don't take that the wrong
way. It is not "anti-American". It is just a desire to say we ARE
different. Anyway - that is my take on it.

I most definitely will not take this the wrong way. I'm always pleased
to meet people who are proud of there homeland.
Old September 12th, 2003, 02:56 PM
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 23:35:45 -0230, "Mike"
wrote:

free flags in our beer boxes?
"c186282" wrote in message
.com...
I just got back from another great trip to Canada. This time I went to
the Bruce Peninsula and the Georgian bay. It was my 6 months old baby
girl's first camping trip. The last time I was in Canada was in 2000.
This time I saw a lot more Canadian flags out flying than I remember
the last time. Has there been an increase in Canadian pride?

I have noticed that too.
More flags on private homes as well as municipal property. I think it
is a reaction to all the American flags flying after 9-11. It is not
so much an increase in Canadian "pride" as it is an increase in
wanting to set our identity as different from American. Don't take
that the wrong way. It is not "anti-American". It is just a desire
to say we ARE different. Anyway - that is my take on it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://waveprohosting.com/tnguym
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old September 12th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Hatunen

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:54:27 GMT, c186282
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:56:30 -0400, TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 23:35:45 -0230, "Mike"
wrote:

free flags in our beer boxes?
"c186282" wrote in message
. rr.com...
[...]

But if I follow this thread correctly, it appears that pride
consists largely in not being American.

Old September 12th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Hatunen

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:11:22 -0400, "Claude Marcil"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .

But if I follow this thread correctly, it appears that pride
consists largely in not being American.

Now that you mention it, perhaps a lot of Canadians and possibly people from
other countries dont want to be mistaken for Americans.

They dont want to suffer the anti-american trend resulting from the major
mistakes of the USA in their foreign policy lately.

But wouldn't it be a bit sad if that ws the only thing they claim
to be proud of?

Old September 12th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Claude Marcil

wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:56:30 -0400, TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 23:35:45 -0230, "Mike"
wrote:

free flags in our beer boxes?
. rr.com...

Old September 12th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Miguel Cruz

Claude Marcil wrote:
Now that you mention it, perhaps a lot of Canadians and possibly people from
other countries dont want to be mistaken for Americans.

They dont want to suffer the anti-american trend resulting from the major
mistakes of the USA in their foreign policy lately.

Fortunately most people out there in the world are smart and mature enough
not to visit their political ideas on random individuals. I've traveled in
the middle east and several muslim countries elsewhere during the Iraq war
and experienced no negative treatment as a consquence of coming from the
USA.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 12th, 2003, 09:33 PM
TNSAF

wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message

But if I follow this thread correctly, it appears that pride
consists largely in not being American.

Now that you mention it, perhaps a lot of Canadians and possibly
people from other countries dont want to be mistaken for Americans.

They dont want to suffer the anti-american trend resulting from the
major mistakes of the USA in their foreign policy lately.

But wouldn't it be a bit sad if that ws the only thing they claim
to be proud of?

Indeed if were true, but anyone who has done their research would know of
Canada's great contributions to the world... medical break throughs, her
sacrifices during times of war (least we forget that during WWII Canada
(with her relatively small populous) had the 3rd. largest Air Force and 4th.
largest Navy in the world. Her almost unprecedented contributions to UN
peace keeping missions. Canada was the first in North America to build an
airliner and second in the world by only a few weeks. We are the home of the
worlds 3th largest aircraft builder. We are respected in most corners of the
world. Every country has its crosses to bear, ours might be our neglected
military, but we can fix that by pumping some needed money and resources
that way. Because we share so much in common with our friends to the south
we often find it necessary to remind ourselves what it is that makes us
different!

Old September 12th, 2003, 11:49 PM
Bill Pittman

In article ,
"TNSAF" wrote:

Indeed if were true, but anyone who has done their research would know of
Canada's great contributions to the world... medical break throughs,

My life for the past 65 years has depended on the discovery of the
Canadian Banting.

--
Bill Pittman; change for e-mail as indicated
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:51 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
TNSAF wrote:

Indeed if were true, but anyone who has done their research would know of
Canada's great contributions to the world... medical break throughs

I hope I'll be forgiven for this on-topic posting, but in fact a friend
and I visited Toronto last fall and stayed at the Banting House Inn, a
B&B that was formerly the place where Dr. Frederick Banting and his
research team did preliminary work that led to the discovery of insulin.

It's a lovely B&B, convenient to downtown but on a quiet residential street.

Patty

Old September 13th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Claude Marcil

Miguel,

The start of this tread was not and IS STILL NOT of individuals blaming
or looking badly at other individuals, it was trying to determine what had
triggered the increase of Canadian flag being masted ( I hope that's the
proper english word, if not sorry, I'm french speaking and not fully
bilingual ) in Canada.

As everyone knows, the world order has changed lately and M. Bush has
taken the stand of clearly dividing human race in 2 camps: WITH OR AGAINST
USA.

Now, flying the Canadian flag merely means that I'm proud to be Canadian
and although USA is ( or was until lately ) a very friendly country, I DO
NOT have to agree with all of their policies.

Does that mean that we're against USA ? No

Does it mean that we're eager to specify and clarify that WE are not
americans ( citizens of USA ) ? Yes

After all, I presume that americans that fly their national flag do it to
show their pride of being americans and to make sure that they are not
mistaken for any other nationality.

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Claude Marcil wrote:
Now that you mention it, perhaps a lot of Canadians and possibly people

from
other countries dont want to be mistaken for Americans.

They dont want to suffer the anti-american trend resulting from the

major
mistakes of the USA in their foreign policy lately.

Fortunately most people out there in the world are smart and mature enough
not to visit their political ideas on random individuals. I've traveled in
the middle east and several muslim countries elsewhere during the Iraq war
and experienced no negative treatment as a consquence of coming from the
USA.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

---