San Antonio for kids

Old March 29th, 2004, 04:13 AM
XOR

Default San Antonio for kids

RJ wrote in message . ..
On 26 Mar 2004 05:59:00 -0800, (XOR) wrote:

"Auntie Em" Auntie
wrote in message news:s8N8c.3114$Zl5.516@fe21...
om...
There will be about 10 families, with ~ 15 kids ranging from 1 -15 yrs
but most being boys 9-15. They're coming for a wedding but will be
here for 1 week, from all parts of the country.

We live in SA, but don't have kids, so we want to put together a

Well, it has been a long time since I have been in San Antonio, but if
memory serves it is extraordinarily hot and humid there. You don't say when
the wedding is but if it is anytime after May 15, chances are it's going to
be hot, humid and miserable.

August. It'll be hot, but it's not that humid here. Nothing like
Houston. With a few exceptions of flash floods, it's generally pretty
dry here in the summer time.

San Antonio is *very* humid. The fact that it's less humid than
Houston is not saying anything significant. Rain has nothing to do
with it; the predominant air mass over San Antonio comes straight off
the Gulf and it is loaded with moisture.

Everything is relative. August is perfectly tolerable and it doesn't
require sequestering kids in a shopping mall to enjoy the city. The
whole Texan idea that one can only survive in August indoors at 60F,
where one MUST wear a sweater, just doesn't set well with me. We
manage to play outdoor sports all through the summer in San Antonio.

IME, it's not *that* humid, not compared to most other places I have
lived (or where most of these kids are coming from).
Old March 29th, 2004, 04:18 AM
XOR

(Tom) wrote in message . com...
bubbadog wrote in message ...
Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels...they have things to do there for all
ages of kids.

http://www.schlitterbahn.com/intro-nb1.asp

What about Fiesta Texas and Sea World?? My kids have always enjoyed those visits.

Those are both out since they can pretty much do those other places -
the whole idea is that they're in a new place and want to experience
what it has to offer (ie chain restaurants are also out). Some live
within easy access to San Diego's Sea World and the rest have visited
them frequently. Having spent much time in LA (where the family is
based and what is now usually the meeting area) these kids have done
all the major amusement parks more than once.
Old March 30th, 2004, 05:10 AM
RJ

On 28 Mar 2004 19:13:46 -0800, (XOR) wrote:

RJ wrote in message . ..
On 26 Mar 2004 05:59:00 -0800,
(XOR) wrote:

[...]

Especially humidity ..... (Thank you, I'll be here all week. Try the
veal.)

August is perfectly tolerable

I lived in San Antonio. I know what the weather is like. San Antonio
is a place that can have a high for the day around, 92-95; then the
temperature at midnight is still 85-88 degrees. It will drop to maybe
75-80 degrees for a brief time just before dawn. The only way that
kind of diurnal temperature pattern occurs is when there is
substantial moisture in the air.

and it doesn't
require sequestering kids in a shopping mall to enjoy the city. The
whole Texan idea that one can only survive in August indoors at 60F,
where one MUST wear a sweater, just doesn't set well with me. We
manage to play outdoor sports all through the summer in San Antonio.

I note the use of the word manage. It was just a year or so ago that
Arrid (or some other deodorant manufacturer) named San Antonio the
"Sweatiest City in the US".

IME, it's not *that* humid, not compared to most other places I have
lived (or where most of these kids are coming from).

If you go past the flat parts between the Apalachians and the Rockies
you will find lots of places with cooler and drier summers.

---
Bob