British traveller's death in NZ

Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default British traveller's death in NZ

The parents of a British traveller who died while trekking in Nelson
Lakes National Park say safety regulations in NZ need to be improved.

Read the full story he
http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle.asp...7&SectionID=73

What do other people think?

Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:41 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
David Bennetts

wrote in message
oups.com...
The parents of a British traveller who died while trekking in Nelson
Lakes National Park say safety regulations in NZ need to be improved.

Read the full story he
http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle.asp...7&SectionID=73

What do other people think?

How do you prevent people from walking alone? It can be quite dangerous in
remote areas in Australia and New Zealand - it isn't like Britain where
there is almost invariably a house around the corner. Regulations don't
prevent people getting into trouble in cases like this.

David Bennetts
Australia

Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:28 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Landlord

"David Bennetts" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
The parents of a British traveller who died while trekking in Nelson
Lakes National Park say safety regulations in NZ need to be improved.

Read the full story he
http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle.asp...7&SectionID=73

What do other people think?

How do you prevent people from walking alone? It can be quite dangerous
in remote areas in Australia and New Zealand - it isn't like Britain where
there is almost invariably a house around the corner. Regulations don't
prevent people getting into trouble in cases like this.

David Bennetts
Australia

I beg to differ. There are many places in Britain where one can get lost.
Remote areas such as Dartmoor, Bodmin Moor, The Dales, Yorkshire Moors,
Scottish Highlands.To mention a few.
These days one should be made to carry EPERBS and the like.
LL
Australia

Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:39 PM
waitawa farm waitawa farm is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
The parents of a British traveller who died while trekking in Nelson
Lakes National Park say safety regulations in NZ need to be improved.

Read the full story he
http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle.asp...7&SectionID=73

What do other people think?
Hi, whilst I am very sorry to hear that this young woman has died, I feel it is the walkers responsibility not to take risks- she was tramping in torrential rain, and it sounds like the creek crossing should not have been attampted, particularly without a travel companion.
I am sure trampers who enjoy tramping alone would not like to see rules introduced whereby you must have a travel buddy with you, although for safety's sake I think you should always travel in three's- I know we used to when we did our seven day trips.
Old January 24th, 2007, 01:10 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

Further 'nannying' is not the answer.

People must learn again the lost art of taking responsibility for
themselves.

oups.com...

Old January 26th, 2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
AlmostBob

survival of the fittest,
dumb equates to unfit

--