Kenya..is it safe?

Old January 24th, 2008, 12:25 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
the_niner_nation

Default Kenya..is it safe?

Hi..just wondering if any of the regular posters in here think it might be
okay to visit kenya later this year?

i am thinking of visiting again sometime in aug/september to do a week
safari in masai mara and a week in samburu, and 3 days in amboseli...i know
it's troubles are extremly volatile and unpredictable..

thnaks.

Old January 24th, 2008, 11:53 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Hans-Georg Michna

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 00:25:43 -0000, the_niner_nation wrote:

Hi..just wondering if any of the regular posters in here think it might be
okay to visit kenya later this year?

i am thinking of visiting again sometime in aug/september to do a week
safari in masai mara and a week in samburu, and 3 days in amboseli...i know
it's troubles are extremly volatile and unpredictable..

I'm sure you are aware that nobody can guarantee anything. Most
likely Kenya will come to rest again, but in the unlikely worst
case at least one newspaper suggested a civil war.

My personal attitude is that I would go (and I will probably
go). In fact, in a situation like this you will find it very
quiet with few tourists, and the lodges will treat you like a
king.

The downside is that there is always a residual risk that you
get into some kind of campaign or that some of the armed,
roaming gangs do a little road robbery on the side. You have to
bear that risk, and please don't blame my advice if it happens
to you. Something like this can always happen in Kenya, and the
risk is always low, but currently somewhat higher.

There's still some time until August, so just keep observing the
situation and postpone your ultimate decision.

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:18 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

In message
Hans-Georg Michna
wrote:

[...]

For the benefit of any Brits reading this thread, Hans-Georg is right,
but also be aware that if the Foreign Office advises against travel to
a particular country, your travel insurance will be invalid if you
decide to go there anyway (travel agents/tour operators here will
cancel automatically).

Other nationals will have to check the situation in their own country.

Slainte
Liz
--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos

Old January 26th, 2008, 05:44 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Paul Altmann

On 25 Jan., 09:18, Liz Leyden wrote:

For the benefit of any Brits reading this thread, Hans-Georg is right,
but also be aware that if the Foreign Office advises against travel to
a particular country, your travel insurance will be invalid if you
decide to go there anyway

For the benefit of any Germans reading this ;-) ... The German Foreign
Office so far gave no general warning against traveling to Kenya, but
suggests to give up on all "unnecessary" trips. (http://
http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/diplo...nweise.html#t3)

Cheers
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:54 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

I have been an x-pat for approximately 60 years living between Africa
and the Gulf States. I predicted when Arab Moi handed over his
presidency that Kenya would soon be in a civil war, in fact if Moi had
done another term I think the crisis in Kenya would have come earlier.

I have lived through and seen three civil wars in Africa. Biafra, The
hand over of Rhodesia and Mozambique, although not directly effected I
also saw what happened in Angola and Rwanda. Even as a very young kid
I have recollections of the Mau Mau uprising of Kenya.

The saying 'Once Bitten Twice Shy' was not my agenda. But 'Once -
Okay' - 'Twice A Fool' - In my case I was a total idiot as I
experienced first hand the plights.

This time however, I decided in November that I would leave Kenya
(with great sadness) as it was only a matter of months that the only
Sub Sahara African State would eventually be thrown into a Civil War.
One thing I have to say. Any third world country that survives on hand-
outs will eventually head for a civil war. Sadly the whole of Sub
Sahara Africa is the case.

It was just by chance that I came across this blog and noticed about
the advice from the Germany Foreign Office. Well if you have read
todays news you will see they got it totally wrong.

Quote German tourist and businessman battered to death in Kenyan
resort town
Print article
Refer to a friend
(c) AP
2008-01-28 11:28:38 -

MOMBASA, Kenya (AP) - A German tourist and a businessman were battered
to death by a gang of robbers who trailed them to their apartment at a
south-eastern Kenyan beach resort, police said Monday.
Police officer Stanley Lemai said there was a long struggle Sunday
night between the men and the robbers, who had overpowered the
security guard at the Diana beach resort.
They were killed with crude weapons, like clubs and machetes. Both of
them were hit in the head, Lemai said. Police refused to identify the
two men except to say one was a resident German businessman and the
other a German visitor. Diani is about 5 kilometres (three miles)
south of Mombasa port, Kenya's tourist capital.
The deaths were not linked to the postelection ethnic violence that
has driven many tourists from Kenya since a disputed Dec. 27
presidential vote. End of Quote

Link http://www.pr-inside.com/german-tour...to-r407851.htm

I think anyone just wanting to go on a paradise tropical holiday to
Kenya at this time Should seek another destination until the KNY
situation has completely been sorted. And I truly believe it will be a
few years until things get back to nornmal. If not a decade.

Anyway I wish you all the very best if you decide to risk a trip and
Good Luck - You will need it.

Regards

Mbanbo
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Paul Altmann

Just learnt about the sad news from a TV ticker ...

Meanwhile, there's an article about it on the online edition of the
German news magazine Der Spiegel:
http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/justi...531472,00.html

Following that article, the incident had no relation to the post-
election unrest.

To make myself quite clear: I would not encourage anybody to travel to
Kenya during the coming weeks. I myself shifted my travel plans from
Kenya to Tanzania - to use Mbanbo's words, with great sadness.
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:10 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Paul Altmann

Kind of weird that both sources state sort of wrong location: They
mention a distance of 5 km from Mombasa to the crime scene - while it
really is about 20 to 25 km ...
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:40 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
TourKenya

Possibilities for calming down later this year are quite high.With
international mediators inciatiting dialogue for both political divide,
very soon Kenya will retain its MOTTO Peace, Love and Unity as it has been
for over forty years since independence.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkabouttravelling.com/g...travel.africa/
More information at http://www.talkabouttravelling.com/faq.html

Old January 30th, 2008, 01:47 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
the_niner_nation[_2_]

I think anyone just wanting to go on a paradise tropical holiday to
Kenya at this time Should seek another destination until the KNY
situation has completely been sorted. And I truly believe it will be a
few years until things get back to nornmal. If not a decade.

Anyway I wish you all the very best if you decide to risk a trip and
Good Luck - You will need it.

Regards

Mbanbo

Mbanbo..

you have convinced me not to vacation in Kenya this year...and I am not
utterly dissapointed that my vacation plans have been altered, but
devestated that there are 2 grown African men in Kenya whose arrogance is
causing something that could lead to a massacre and abuse of humanity that a
civilised world in the 21st century should never expereince.

Personally, I am fearing for the worst in Kenya, but hoping for the best..I
wonder if this time the çivilised'west will turn their backs on genocide
like they did in Rwanda and darfur...

my bet is that where africans are killing africans, the 'civilised 'west
wont care less...and my heart is bleeding for the beautiful people of the
beautiful country of kenya.

the hypocricy of western politicians saying that 'this must never happen
again' ..is looming around the corner.

Old January 30th, 2008, 02:39 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
the_niner_nation

"TourKenya" wrote in message
lkabouttravelling.com...
Possibilities for calming down later this year are quite high.With
international mediators inciatiting dialogue for both political divide,
very soon Kenya will retain its MOTTO Peace, Love and Unity as it has been
for over forty years since independence.

--
Message posted using
http://www.talkabouttravelling.com/g...travel.africa/
More information at http://www.talkabouttravelling.com/faq.html

you clearly have a vested interest in that you promote tourism...but from
the Tv pictures i have seen, it dosn't seem as if tribal harmony will happen
very quickly at all, even if there is political dialogue.