Recommendations - perfect climate?

Old May 10th, 2004, 04:19 PM
The Reids

Default Recommendations - perfect climate?

Following up to strawberry icecream

I was wondering where in the world posters would recommend for the perfect
climate?

The Balearics have got a pretty good climate but I like some snow
in winter so wouldn't do for me. All the places I have been fail
to have the best climate at all seasons. Spain is too hot in
summer, the English Lake District has enough snow for me but not
enough for ski developments, god so far, but is too wet in
summer. Northern Italy has too much fog. Cornwall is pretty good,
good light, not humid, plenty of variety[1], big seas in winter,
if it just had some snowy mountains in the middle!

1] I hate clear blue skies day after day, others probably love
them.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:03 PM
nightjar

"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to strawberry icecream

I was wondering where in the world posters would recommend for the

perfect
climate?

The Balearics have got a pretty good climate but I like some snow
in winter so wouldn't do for me. All the places I have been fail
to have the best climate at all seasons. Spain is too hot in
summer, the English Lake District has enough snow for me but not
enough for ski developments, god so far, but is too wet in
summer. Northern Italy has too much fog. Cornwall is pretty good,
good light, not humid, plenty of variety[1], big seas in winter,
if it just had some snowy mountains in the middle!

The answer, of course, is to have houses in all the places you like and move
between them, according to the season.

Colin Bignell

Old May 12th, 2004, 08:30 AM
The Reids

Following up to "nightjar"

The Balearics have got a pretty good climate but I like some snow
in winter so wouldn't do for me. All the places I have been fail
to have the best climate at all seasons. Spain is too hot in
summer, the English Lake District has enough snow for me but not
enough for ski developments, god so far, but is too wet in
summer. Northern Italy has too much fog. Cornwall is pretty good,
good light, not humid, plenty of variety[1], big seas in winter,
if it just had some snowy mountains in the middle!

The answer, of course, is to have houses in all the places you like and move
between them, according to the season.

Except I don't believe in ownership of multiple houses, the less
houses on our small island the better. Own one small house and
stay in rented/hotel/tent.
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:15 AM
nightjar

"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to "nightjar"

The Balearics have got a pretty good climate but I like some snow
in winter so wouldn't do for me. All the places I have been fail
to have the best climate at all seasons. Spain is too hot in
summer, the English Lake District has enough snow for me but not
enough for ski developments, god so far, but is too wet in
summer. Northern Italy has too much fog. Cornwall is pretty good,
good light, not humid, plenty of variety[1], big seas in winter,
if it just had some snowy mountains in the middle!

The answer, of course, is to have houses in all the places you like and

move
between them, according to the season.

Except I don't believe in ownership of multiple houses, the less
houses on our small island the better. Own one small house and
stay in rented/hotel/tent.

Only two of the five environments you mention are on our small island and
the advantage of owning a holiday home is that you don't need to carry more
with you than a passport and a book to read on the 'plane. The disadvantage
is that you feel obliged to take more holidays, so as to make best use of
it.

Colin Bignell

Old May 13th, 2004, 11:19 AM
The Reids

Following up to "nightjar"

Only two of the five environments you mention are on our small island

Damn, caught out there. I think i'm supposed to say something
about Dutch peacekeepers now.

and
the advantage of owning a holiday home is that you don't need to carry more
with you than a passport and a book to read on the 'plane. The disadvantage
is that you feel obliged to take more holidays, so as to make best use of
it.

That's a big problem, you see people loaded down with stuff
instead of luggage, to do repairs and generally behave as if they
are at home, instead of enjoying themselves.
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:44 AM
S Viemeister

The Reids wrote:

That's a big problem, you see people loaded down with stuff
instead of luggage, to do repairs and generally behave as if they
are at home, instead of enjoying themselves.

Ah - but there are people who find that sort of thing very enjoyable!

Sheila

Old May 13th, 2004, 03:44 PM
nightjar

"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to "nightjar"

and
the advantage of owning a holiday home is that you don't need to carry

more
with you than a passport and a book to read on the 'plane. The

disadvantage
is that you feel obliged to take more holidays, so as to make best use of
it.

That's a big problem, you see people loaded down with stuff
instead of luggage, to do repairs and generally behave as if they
are at home, instead of enjoying themselves.

I don't even do that myself at home and it does much more for relations with
the community to get the village artisan in to do the work.

Colin Bignell