Phnom Penh

Old September 25th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Stephen

Default Phnom Penh

I am travelling to Thailand in April.
Is Phnom Penh a good side trip?

Is it dangerous??

Stephen

Old September 25th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Peter L

Angkor Wat is better. Phnam Penh can be dangerous, as in any good size
city. So poking around in side street late at night, getting drunk, paying
for sex, etc. can all get you in some trouble. Friend of mine was taking
pictures of this building, which just happened to be adjacent to a police
station, and he was detained and questioned.

Old September 26th, 2003, 03:09 AM
Lougre

Phnom Penh is a fascinating city, but if you only have limited time, it's
probably a better idea to go to the Angkor area (Siem Reap). It's getting more
and more built up, so you should get there "soon" (if you're into ancient
cities, that is).
Old September 26th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Simon77

It depends on what you like to do.
If you like to see temples then Siem Reap is the place.

I had a great time in Phnom Penh (Aug 2001) and I'd go back there tomorrow
if I could.
Lots to do and see :
S 21 prison
Killing Fields
Royal palace
Shooting range
Go - karts
and lots more.

In terms of safety, we had no problems. You have just got to be cautious, as
with everywhere nowadays, don't make yourself a target.

Old September 26th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Louis-G

Phnom Penh is interesting, This is another big city of Asia.
Angkor Wat is one of the most magic place of the world.

Do not hesitate
--
Louis-G

Old September 26th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Peacenik

"Stephen" wrote in message
I am travelling to Thailand in April.
Is Phnom Penh a good side trip?

Yes. But Siem Reap (where the Angkor temple copmplex is) is better - if
there is one thing you must see in Cambodia, it is Angkor Wat.

I would consider Phnom Penh a good side trip for people visiting Siem Reap.

Is it dangerous??

Apparently it's not as dangerous as it used to be, but it never hurts to be
careful wherever you go. I've heard of gun-point muggings late at night near
bars, where drunken Westerners are easy pickings, but I have no idea how
common these are.

That being said, we stayed three nights last February and had no problems.
It's an interesting, quirky city with a rhythm unlike any other place I've
been. A true mixture of poverty and opulence. And there is a good number of
things to see, from interesting sights like the Silver Pagoda (which is
actually a wat, not a pagoda) and the National Museum, to horrors like the
Killing Fields and the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum. And try the Happy Herb
Pizzas by the waterfront.

--
Chris