Accommodation in Plymouth UK

Old January 17th, 2006, 05:50 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe

Default Accommodation in Plymouth UK

Dear alt.travel.uk.air / rec.travel.europe

How're things?

I'm hoping you might be able to offer some useful suggestions.

I will be travelling the University of Plymouth in the UK in March 2006
(from Australia).

My family will be travelling with me (2 adults and 2 children) and we will
be
staying in Plymouth for 13 weeks.

I'm having some difficulty identifying suitable accommodation.

Our needs fall between short-term hotel accommodation and long-term renting.

We really need something that is furnished and offering better longer-term
rates than hotels.

Any ideas out there?

Old January 17th, 2006, 08:47 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe

In message 43cc7799$1@earth, at 04:50:36 on Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Stuart
Palmer remarked:
I will be travelling the University of Plymouth in the UK in March 2006
(from Australia).

My family will be travelling with me (2 adults and 2 children) and we will
be
staying in Plymouth for 13 weeks.

I'm having some difficulty identifying suitable accommodation.

Our needs fall between short-term hotel accommodation and long-term renting.

Due to the landlord/tenant laws in the UK it's very unusual for houses
to be rented for non-holiday purposes for less than six months.

We really need something that is furnished and offering better longer-term
rates than hotels.

I would expect the University to have an office which assists in such
matters - have you tried contacting them?

nb: They seem to have three Campuses (Campi??) and you'll probably need
to know which you are involved with before making any decisions on where
to stay.

Some areas have rental accommodation which is intended for business
people on short assignments, or while they relocate their family home.

As it's not the main season, you may have more luck with a "Holiday
Cottage".
--
Roland Perry
Old January 17th, 2006, 07:58 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

This may be the best bet for the OP. If he's an overseas scholar working
temporarily at the University, they ought to be prepared to assist him in
finding accommodation.

Alan Harrison

Old January 18th, 2006, 11:19 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe

"ALAN HARRISON" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, UoP hasn't been particularly helpful.

Will investigate holiday cottages.

Old January 19th, 2006, 09:57 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe

In message 43cebefa$1@earth, at 22:19:39 on Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Stuart
Palmer remarked:
Unfortunately, UoP hasn't been particularly helpful.

Their website promises much, but delivers little.

Will investigate holiday cottages.

Of course, you can always swap from one to another halfway through, if
you can't find a suitable one vacant for all 13 weeks !
--
Roland Perry
Old January 27th, 2006, 11:33 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe

"Stuart Palmer" wrote in message
Dear alt.travel.uk.air / rec.travel.europe

How're things?

I'm hoping you might be able to offer some useful suggestions.

I will be travelling the University of Plymouth in the UK in March 2006
(from Australia).

My family will be travelling with me (2 adults and 2 children) and we will
be
staying in Plymouth for 13 weeks.

I'm having some difficulty identifying suitable accommodation.

Our needs fall between short-term hotel accommodation and long-term
renting.

We really need something that is furnished and offering better longer-term
rates than hotels.

I sympathise with your position. Serviced accommodation, which is what
you're after, is easy to find in major cities but Plymouth being more of a
holiday destination and less of a business destination, might prove tricky.

A quick google brought up
http://www.selfcatering-directory.co...?town=Plymouth this which
was a good start point. Try googling from www.google.co.uk (as opposed to
..com), choose the "from the UK" radio button, and the search phrase
"furnished accommodation plymouth short term"

A holiday rental you might be able to do for £250/week or less for a long
(for holiday property) let. Worth contacting local estate agents too; in
the UK, property is normally let for 6 months, but they might be able to do
something for shorter periods given your situation. Will you have a car
when you're here?

Old January 29th, 2006, 10:51 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe

[...]

Cheers Traveller,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I had found the link you indicated in my searching to date.

Will try some more using Google UK specifically.

I'm trying to squeeze a good rate out of some holiday properties for the
promise
of an 'extended tenancy.

Will also try some local estate agents.

I've got some tips on areas, transport, etc from some staff at my Uni who
studied at Plymouth themselves.

Will probably only have a car at the start - to drive down from London
and get ourselves settled.

Thanks again.