Flight Change Nonsense

Old November 30th, 2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
tim \(not at home\)

Default Flight Change Nonsense

wrote in message
On 30 Nov, 17:46, "tim \(not at home\)"
wrote:

And I've never missed a check in!

Same here. Once I was extra-ordinarily late for a flight from Tel
Aviv (with their notoriously long-winded security protocols prior to
check-in). I still had to go to the ticket desk (and there was some
guy arguing over his frequent flyer miles, some may remember a similar
hilarious scene with Nicolas Cage in "Honeymoon in Vegas"....). In
the event security fast-tracked me, which was just as well with
40mins to departure time...

Still I would hardly blame the airline if I missed check-in... turn up
on time and bring my passport, that's my part of the deal done. It
ain't rocket science.

I wasn't tryng to blame the airline.

I was just indicating my attitude to the airlines.

tim

tim- Hide quoted text -

Old December 1st, 2007, 01:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:30:42 -0000, "John" wrote:

Nah, I'm not that agressive about it Brian, it's probably just the way it
comes across in the medium of Usenet. To explain everything and get across
every nuance (sp?) would take hours of typing so you're seeing the condensed
and concentrated version )

Of course there is a give-and-take about it all, and of course I do do some
of the things you mention above (personal phone calls, chat to colleagues
about non-work stuff etc., etc) as indeed we all do.

I was just trying (probably badly) to make the point that when travelling
for the company, they should pay the travel time, and from reading some of
the other posts in this thread, it seems that I'm the exception in that my
company does pay travel time - it appears that a lot of others don't.

John

John,

I do agree that it's difficult to get your point across in the way
it's desired here.

I'm self-employeed and have employees (but travel normally isn't an
issue.) The impression I've gotten, which may not be accurate, is that
you want to play everything completely by the book if it benefits you
and aren't willing to have any give and take. The "I don't always work
every minute while I'm on the job but if I work 5 minutes over, I want
overtime" type of thing.

Old December 1st, 2007, 03:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:03:19 -0800, mrtravel
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

Anyone who flies on US airlines needs to know about Rule 240. See
http://airtravel.about.com/cs/delays/a/rule240.htm

As stated in the article, it should be noted that rule 240 is voluntary.
It is no longer required by law.

So don't ask. But if the airline has a rule implementing the
likes of rule 240 I think it would be a good idea to know about
it, especially if you have to deal with someone at the counter
who may be ignoring it.

he article also says:

"A common misconception is that all airlines are required to have
a Rule 240, but they do not. And airlines have different versions
of Rule 240, making it even more difficult for passengers to know
their rights in the event of a delay or cancellation that has
been caused by the airline."

Old December 1st, 2007, 04:37 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
DevilsPGD

In message "John" wrote:

Of course there is a give-and-take about it all, and of course I do do some
of the things you mention above (personal phone calls, chat to colleagues
about non-work stuff etc., etc) as indeed we all do.

I was just trying (probably badly) to make the point that when travelling
for the company, they should pay the travel time, and from reading some of
the other posts in this thread, it seems that I'm the exception in that my
company does pay travel time - it appears that a lot of others don't.

It really depends on just how much give and take is involved. My first
job was a call center where I regularly showed up tow hours late, and
was usually the #1 rep on the floor by the end of the shift.

The boss wasn't happy, but he let me get away with it since I was
literally doing twice the work of some of the other guys (many of whom
had more experience, and received far more complaints) -- I was just a
natural for that type of work, and was even promoted (although that did
come with a stipulation that I start showing up on time. I more or less
did)

That boss was very lenient with the high performers about extra time off
upon request even for random personal stuff... "I want to go to the post
office" even though the post office was open after hours, etc.

Conversely, the low performers got **** on if they were even a couple
minutes late, had to provide proof of medical appointments to get time
off, etc.

It worked.

(And no we weren't in sales, we were inbound customer service, and not
on any form of commission. Our performance compensation was better
raises, bonuses, and the various "perks", one of which was rubbing our
perks in the faces of those who didn't get it)

Later on the company got bought out by a union shop and it went
downhill... The new management tried to enforce a "get back from your
break on time, even if you leave late", I went in and asked my manager
if we are to hang up on the customer, put them on hold, or transfer them
back into the queue, since if one end wasn't flexible, the other
wouldn't be either. She wasn't impressed with that, but the union was a
strong one, so the word "grievance" ended most arguments with
management.

A couple months later I bailed on that crap, started contracting for
well over double the salary, and life is good once again.

Currently, as a contractor, I do not bill at all for travel since the
company is *very* good to us. (We're paid monthly, not hourly -- So
it's more or less salary, although legally some of us are contractors,
and all the contractors do outside work as well)

For this client, all our expenses are covered, including our meals
(without daily restrictions or whatever), our choice of hotel (I haven't
tried a penthouse suite or anything excessive, but I have gotten Jacuzzi
rooms a few times), if I bring my girlfriend we can rent a car on the
company's dime even if I don't *need* it for work, they pay her meals
too (usually the management takes us out and just pays for everyone). We
get invited to the corporate events, which always has an open bar and
other bonuses.

In exchange, I work my ass off to keep them happy. I make up the hours
lost to travel when we're backlogged, if the hotel bed sucks and I can't
sleep I put in a few extra hours on-site, etc.

But it's a relatively small company, and most of us are very passionate
and personally motivated, so give and take works. Once you grow, it
just takes a few to concentrate on the "take" a little too much and it
all goes away. Luckily, it's going on five years and life is good.
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.travel.air, rec.travel.europe
jon-pol-gorge-ringl

On 30 Nov, 23:18, "tim \(not at home\)"
wrote:
wrote in message

On 30 Nov, 17:46, "tim \(not at home\)"
wrote:

And I've never missed a check in!

Same here. Once I was extra-ordinarily late for a flight from Tel
Aviv (with their notoriously long-winded security protocols prior to
check-in). I still had to go to the ticket desk (and there was some
guy arguing over his frequent flyer miles, some may remember a similar
hilarious scene with Nicolas Cage in "Honeymoon in Vegas"....). In
the event security fast-tracked me, which was just as well with
40mins to departure time...

Still I would hardly blame the airline if I missed check-in... turn up
on time and bring my passport, that's my part of the deal done. It
ain't rocket science.

I wasn't tryng to blame the airline.

I was just indicating my attitude to the airlines.

tim

tim- Hide quoted text -

A friend of mine just used his SAS airmiles to get an business upgrade
(since they were about to expire).
It cost 10,000 and the only advantage was you get a meal, they don't
let you use the business lounge even, because they will only tell you
if you're upgrade is accepted just before boarding.....
Old December 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"jon-pol-gorge-ringl" skrev i meddelandet
On 30 Nov, 23:18, "tim \(not at home\)"
wrote:
wrote in message

On 30 Nov, 17:46, "tim \(not at home\)"
wrote:

[...]

-------
So what ? Could be reason for your friend to calculate a little better
ahead.
After all points are valid a number of years and 12000 is enough for a r.t
of any distance between the Scandinavian countries. Missing points may be
bought and used in addition.

Old December 1st, 2007, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air, rec.travel.europe
jon-pol-gorge-ringl

its a rip off, thats what....still SAS aint what they used to
be.....with their crappy old MD82's

Lennart Petersen wrote:

"jon-pol-gorge-ringl" skrev i meddelandet
On 30 Nov, 23:18, "tim \(not at home\)"
wrote:

Old December 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"jon-pol-gorge-ringl" skrev i meddelandet
its a rip off, thats what....

Rip-off ? I was satisfied with my
Stockholm-Kirkenes,Stockholm-Bergen and Stockholm-Tromsö excursions at
12000p each

still SAS aint what they used to
be.....with their crappy old MD82's

-------
It was probably better in the Caravelle and DC7 time...