Costa Rica or Guatemala? Where to go in Central America?

Old August 15th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Tibo

Default Costa Rica or Guatemala? Where to go in Central America?

Hi there,

I am going next january to central america with a friend of mine for 3
weeks, but we are not 100% sure as for which country to visit. We were first
thinking of Costa Rica, but looking more closely to the matter, now we are
in doubt.

Basically, we want to backpack around, stay in guesthouses or cheap hostels,
travel and eat as locals do (or at least as much as possible). We still want
to see some of the countries (national parks, beaches, activities (hiking,
canyoning and the like), cities & civilisations). One other thing is that we
want to spend about a week diving at some point. We don't speak spanish
(yet - but will get basic berlitz self course).

Our budget is (except flight to go there) up to 800 EUR / 1000 US$ maximum.

What we heard is Costa Rica is great and safe but touristy and expensive in
January. We also heard that Guatemala is not as nice, has not so good
weather in january, but is much cheaper and better value for money.

So where to go? Costa Rica plus a bit of lake Nicaragua? Guatemala plus
Equador's Bay Islands (for the diving)? Or somewhere else in the area?

Please give me your feedback!

Tibo.

Old August 17th, 2004, 08:28 PM
kim isaksen

"Tibo" wrote in message
ll.nl...
[...]

Dunno. Me myself i like Guatemala a lot more than costa rica because of the
colorfull markets, the life in the indian villages high in the mountains, an
the lagua atitlan. I would go there. And with that said, its worth while
going to the bay islands in HONDURAS. But then again nigaragua is also quite
high on my list, specially the east coast with corn islands and all.
But in the end its organised travel with loads of nature reserve vs. more on
you own travel with loads of culture. (They do have nice rainforest in
guatemala though, i got lost there for 2 days in '99).

iM

Old August 19th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Tibo

OK, we got convinced! We are going to Guatemala and Honduras!! We are flying
to the north of Honduras, and will visit Guatemala plus the bay islands!

Thanks all for the tips. That was very helpful.

Tibo.