Seeking 'older' backpackers for academic study

Old February 11th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Default Seeking 'older' backpackers for academic study

I am a mature student (nearly 35!) at the University of Glamorgan,
South Wales, UK. I am coming to the end of a 3 year degree in travel
and Tourism Management, and am in the process of writing my
dissertation.

I began by looking at academic literature which exists about the
backpacking phenomena. There's a reasonable amount out there but
everything seems to concentrate on the youth (18-30) market. I thought
it would be interesting to see if the older market differs in its
attitudes, and I expect that it does.

I am still setting up the questions I would like to ask, but one that I
need to establish straight away is: Have you ever heard of the term
"greypacker". It doesn't seem to exist in any academic texts and
is a phrase I heard in discussion with some local friends who could be
considered "greypackers". I would be interested to know if you
would find the term offensive, funny or simply apt!

Thanks for your time so far. I am likely to be asking about your
motivations for travelling, where you go, and have you always, like me,
been a nomadic traveller.

Russ

Old March 6th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Norm

At 71 years old I continue to backpack my way around SE Asia and South
America. A way of life that has kept me in top physical condition and
seen as being much younger. There are many 'older' backpackers, male
and female as couples and as individuals with avariety of motivations.
Ecology, adventure or just plain love for travel. I think in common
you will find we cannot abide being 'couch potatoes' That we enjoy
life to its' fullest. Best way to understand is for yourself to
backpack and observe and talk with us in the live field setting.

Old March 14th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Max Power

I am 30+, and am interested in being in this study.
My first low end travel was in Australasia, aged 30+...

Old March 15th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Lodd3

Having run a backpackers in the UK for 6 years and having dealt with
guests of various ages I can offer you a few views...

I thought
it would be interesting to see if the older market differs in its
attitudes, and I expect that it does.

Yes definately. The younger ones are often more concerned with partying
and bed hopping than doing touristy stuff; but this depends on
nationality somewhat. The young British are, by far, the most prone to
drunken, noisy etc.. antics.

There are different types of oldies... and there are different forms
of backpacking - short trips and long term travelling. Two types of
oldies come to mind... there are the 30 somethings that keep travelling
because they are in denial, can't accept mundane real life, cannot find a
partner and cannot accept the fact that they are getting old. Then there
are the ones who's kids have left home and they are taking the
opportunity to do what they always wanted to do, but could not when they
were young. Some of them land up rather disappointed when they actually
do it

It may sound a bit cyncial, but it's quite close to the truth.

I am still setting up the questions I would like to ask, but one that I
need to establish straight away is: Have you ever heard of the term
"greypacker". It doesn't seem to exist in any academic texts and
is a phrase I heard in discussion with some local friends who could be
considered "greypackers". I would be interested to know if you
would find the term offensive, funny or simply apt!

I can't imagine anyone being happy to be called a Greypacker!.

Old March 15th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Indeed but as a backpacker who is now a student and over 30, very
little research has been done about why people carry on (or even start)
backpacking when they are older.

All the academic studies seem to be about school leavers and gappers so
I am looking at a different sector. All sectors get "labelled" and the
mature backpacker will be no different. I intend to offer a few options
for this "label" when I put my questionnaire online in the next few
days.

Russ

I can't imagine anyone being happy to be called a Greypacker!.

Indeed NOT happy at all. Age has nothing to do with style of
travel.

Why not just call people travelers, if one
wants to make a distinction between tourists and someone who travels
in a modest fashion on one's own? Such a person might travel with a
backpack, or a suitcase, what's the difference?

I didn't begin traveling until my 50's and haven't been the least bit
disappointed. And in hostels I 've run across people of all age
groups -- young, middle and old.