border between Paraguay and Bolivia

Old March 25th, 2005, 05:01 PM
ellenina

Default border between Paraguay and Bolivia

Hi!
I'm planning to visit Paraguay, Bolivia and Peru with two (female) friends
this summer. All of us are students so we plan a rather low bugdet-tour.
We've heard that there is no road leading from Filadelfia in Paraguay across
the Chaco to the Bolivian border and then to Sucre/Potosí. Is it right that
one can only hitchhike but those roads on the Chaco are only used by
military busses? If so, how dangerous is this really for three backpacking
girls ;-)?
Thanks for your advice!
So long,
ellenina

--
__________________

Fear not for the future, weep not for the past.
(Percy Bysshe Shelley)

Auf der Suche nach alten Schulfreunden? Dann schau 'mal hier vorbei:

http://www.stayfriends.de/%3FEinladu...524-1080064994

Old March 25th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Burke&Wills

I can't help you with the routing, but would not hitchhike ANYWHERE in
Paraguay. Taxis, busses and other public transport (including ancient
trains) are cheap as dirt. Conversely, there are few if any road rules and
those are ignored with impunity; livestock in rural areas are common on the
road.

I was robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight in downtown Asuncion, something I
later found out was quite common. It's a shame because otherwise I very
much enjoyed the quirky country and its generally accommodating people and
fascinating (sometimes tragic) history. It's the stolen photos of the last
few days of the trip that I miss the most.....

There's a fair-sized Peace Corps contingent in the country so keep an eye
out for them; if you insist on hitching they might be able to hook you up
with a trustworthy local; they are not a tourist agency, though, so bring
along some M&Ms or something as a thankyou.

HTH

Old March 27th, 2005, 09:41 PM
ellenina

Thanks for advice!