Travellers cheques to Thailand?

Old February 3rd, 2005, 05:13 AM
Chris Blunt

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:31:59 +0200, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti viestissä
.. .
It certainly doesn't instill much confidence in travelers checks
knowing they have such limited acceptability.

In Thailand this shouldn't be much of a problem.

Perhaps, but my point was that travelers checks are not as universally
acceptable as the companies that issue them like to pretend they are.

If I can find a major international bank in a capital city in Asia
that is reluctant to accept them, that substantially reduces my
confidence in using checks as a reliable way to take travel money.

Chris

Old February 3rd, 2005, 11:32 AM
Viviane

The one that charged nothing is Citibank in Australia. The one that charged
is ANZ (one of the big 4 banks here).

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Viviane wrote:
Shop around. We have accounts with 2 different banks in Australia. Got
home from a trip to Thailand to find one charged us $5 for the privilege
of
withdrawing our money overseas. The other charged nothing. Guess which
account we closed down.

Which was the bank that charged nothing? That could be useful to others.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:41 PM
Markku Grönroos

wrote:

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti viestissä
.. .
It certainly doesn't instill much confidence in travelers checks
knowing they have such limited acceptability.

In Thailand this shouldn't be much of a problem.

Perhaps, but my point was that travelers checks are not as universally
acceptable as the companies that issue them like to pretend they are.

Well, I wouldn't say they are all wrong by this claim either. I mean I have
never visited a country in which TCs wouldn't buy local cash (Iran
supposedly is one such country). And actually Thailand has been the target.

If I can find a major international bank in a capital city in Asia
that is reluctant to accept them, that substantially reduces my
confidence in using checks as a reliable way to take travel money.

Easy to believe. However, this applies to plastic too. Fore instance go to a
coffee house in Central Europe (Germany, France and so on) and offer your
card as a source of payment and chances are good that your card is no good.
In Finland incidents like this are pretty rate. However, there are still
some gas pumps in Finland, I suppose, as well as in many other countries in
which only national credit/banking cards will buy gasoline. You also see
that there are immensely online vendors in the USA who accept only US
American (and typically Canadian) cards. I have typically pennies in my
pockets while at home. They are not needed anymore. This is the tendency for
TCs too.

Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:32 PM
Tchiowa

Markku Gr=F6nroos wrote:
"Tchiowa" kirjoitti viestiss=E4
oups.com...

The head office clearing the claims in Bangkok is open all the

time.

No it's not. And, again, that's not what you said. Either way, you're

YES IT IS ALWAYS OPEN. It reads in the same page you reffered to

here.

wrong. Go to the office on Paholyothin and look at their posted

hours.
That's if you ever go to Thailand.

Open that portal and go to the travel services section. There you can

find
that for instance at Don Muang there is an office open 24h a day to

replace
cheques. We are talking about REPLACEMENT of American Express

cheques. There
are locations in Thailand which are open every day for that process.

Again, go to the head office you posted about. Again, it's on Thanon
Paholyothin. Again, it is not open 24 hours. There may be locations
where you can get traveller's checks replaced, but you specifically
said that the head office in Bangkok was open 24 hours and it's not.
Just that simple.