Eliat, Israel

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default Eliat, Israel

a.spencer3 wrote:
With the exception of Iraq there is no North African or Middle East country
I would not currently visit.

Algeria?

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Miguel Cruz

Dave Smith wrote:
"a.spencer3" wrote:
That was several years ago, and security in Egypt has been massively
upgraded since then, as you probably well realise.
And, as in most affected coiuntries, the general populace is as anti the
terrorists as is the West.

Yes, it was in 1997, 16 years after people from the same group killed
Anwar Sadat. They had also been responsible for a number of other attacks
on tourists in Egypt.

And the Egyptians have pretty much managed to oppress this group into the
ground. There have been no similar attacks in recent years, nor is there the
sense that they will be repeated.

Awful things have happened everywhere. Should we avoid New York City?
Hiroshima?

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 12th, 2003, 05:36 PM
a.spencer3

Miguel Cruz wrote in message
a.spencer3 wrote:
With the exception of Iraq there is no North African or Middle East

country
I would not currently visit.

Algeria?

Mmmmmmmmmm. OK! But would love to go sometime.

Surreyman

Old November 12th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Dave Smith

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Yes, it was in 1997, 16 years after people from the same group killed
Anwar Sadat. They had also been responsible for a number of other attacks
on tourists in Egypt.

And the Egyptians have pretty much managed to oppress this group into the
ground. There have been no similar attacks in recent years, nor is there the
sense that they will be repeated.

The Egyptians have certainly clamped down on the extremists who were responsible
for some of the attacks. The omnipresent armed security suggests to me that
they have reacted to the problem, but that the threat is not totally removed.
There is also a very visible police presence in a lot of European centres.
There are places in Paris, like Place Concorde, where you see police with
submachine guns standing at every corner. It may indicate an increased chance of
them apprehending pickpockets and muggers, and it may scare them away, but the
threat remains.

There remains a threat of unexploded land mines in several areas, such as the
some desert and coastal areas, notably the Mediterranean shore, the Western
Desert, the Sinai Peninsula, and the Western shore of the Gulf of Suez. Visitors
should follow local advice, especially if travelling off-road.

Old November 12th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Bjorn Olsson

"a.spencer3" wrote in message ...
Dave Smith wrote in message
Fear mongering my ass. I responding to the post that suggested that

people visit
Egypt instead of Israel because it was supposedly so safe. I have a nephew

who
just returned from three weeks in Egypt. He said that he could go out for

a walk
at 3 am and feel perfectly safe...... because there was a policeman on

every
corner. He also travelled with a body guard.

'A policeman on every corner' is a gross exaggeration, but even if there had
been, what is therefore the complaint? 3 a.m. in any major city (assuming he
was) has its potential dangers.
Frankly, I also would feel safer in Cairo than in Jerusalem at the moment.

Sounds irrational. Cairo has much worse traffic, probably causing many
more accidents than in Jerusalem. In case of an accident, it would
probably take much longer to reach a hospital in Cairo, and the
standard of medical help received would be lower.

Bjorn
Old November 12th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Dave Smith

Alfred Molon wrote:

The last bombing in Egypt was six years ago, while in Israel there are
bombings every month.

That may be true, but I was responding to the suggestion that there was absolutely no
risk to travel in Egypt. Personally, I would not consider travelling anywhere in the
middle east until those people grow up and learn to get along.

Old November 12th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Miguel Cruz

Dave Smith wrote:
That may be true, but I was responding to the suggestion that there was
absolutely no risk to travel in Egypt. Personally, I would not consider
travelling anywhere in the middle east until those people grow up and
learn to get along.

It's your choice, of course, but you're missing out. My recollections of
many trips to the middle east are of overwhelming hospitality, fascinating
cities, wonderful food, mesmerizing exoticism, great bargains, and a
liberating perception of absolute personal safety (due to the total lack of
crime) unlike what you can feel in the "west" except maybe in small-town New
Zealand.

Then again I haven't been to Egypt yet.

miguel
--