Cambodia crackdown on pedos

Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:16 AM
JosephP

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:01:56 GMT, michael wrote:

Why not just address the problem in a general way rather than focus on
specifically targeting tourists of any particular nationality? If the
government had said they were going to start a campaign against
foreigners who drop litter in the street, nobody would be in any doubt
that there was an ulterior motive there.

Chris

In some underdeveloped countries a great deal of the industrial toxic waste
is indeed imported from rich foreign countries for dumping.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:40 AM
Chris Blunt

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:03:07 GMT, michael wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:

Its reasonable to assume that the vast majority of offenders would be
Cambodian since they make up all but a very tiny proportion of the
population.

by your "reasoning" we can assume that the vast majority of happy pizza
consumed on sisowath quay is consumed by cambodians... my gut instinct
tells me this is idiotic... but, hey, assume away...

Of course not, but your comparison is invalid because Happy Pizza is a
business that few locals would be likely to visit because of its
relatively high prices. Child sexual abuse is not something carried
out by any particular economic, social or racial group. Most research
on the subject says that the majority of children affected are abused
by someone they know - either a family member or someone close to the
family. The majority of offenders in Cambodia are Cambodians, just as
the majority of offenders in any country are locals of that country.
Trying to push the blame onto outsiders does nothing to address the
real problem, but has a lot to do with getting foreign funding for
NGO's and the government.

Chris

Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:40 AM
Chris Blunt

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:07:46 GMT, michael wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:

Yes, but why just target foreigners when the majority of those
involved are locals? You're only scratching the surface of the problem
if you attack it that way.

so now we've moved from "reasonable assumption" to blunt statement of
fact... amazing!

Yes, the vast majority of child sexual abuse cases in any country are
committed by locals of that country. That's a statement of fact, which
I don't find amazing at all.

Chris

Old March 3rd, 2005, 03:09 PM
michael

Chris Blunt wrote:

Of course not, but your comparison is invalid because Happy Pizza is a
business that few locals would be likely to visit because of its
relatively high prices. Child sexual abuse is not something carried
out by any particular economic, social or racial group. Most research
on the subject says that the majority of children affected are abused
by someone they know - either a family member or someone close to the
family. The majority of offenders in Cambodia are Cambodians, just as
the majority of offenders in any country are locals of that country.
Trying to push the blame onto outsiders does nothing to address the
real problem, but has a lot to do with getting foreign funding for
NGO's and the government.

bait and switch may work after all that happy pizza, but not this early
in the morning... we are talking about child prostitution... not about
western men travelling with their families and taking a poke at the kids
after a few beers... but you already knew that, right?

michael

Old March 3rd, 2005, 03:32 PM
JosephP

"michael" wrote in message

Chris Blunt wrote:

Of course not, but your comparison is invalid because Happy Pizza is a
business that few locals would be likely to visit because of its
relatively high prices. Child sexual abuse is not something carried
out by any particular economic, social or racial group. Most research
on the subject says that the majority of children affected are abused
by someone they know - either a family member or someone close to the
family. The majority of offenders in Cambodia are Cambodians, just as
the majority of offenders in any country are locals of that country.
Trying to push the blame onto outsiders does nothing to address the
real problem, but has a lot to do with getting foreign funding for
NGO's and the government.

So child prostitution should continue as a tourist attraction until the
entire world has eliminated child abuse ???

Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:21 PM
icheck2000

Chris Blunt wrote:

Yes, but why just target foreigners when the majority of those
involved are locals? You're only scratching the surface of the problem
if you attack it that way.

so now we've moved from "reasonable assumption" to blunt statement of
fact... amazing!

Yes, the vast majority of child sexual abuse cases in any country are
committed by locals of that country. That's a statement of fact, which
I don't find amazing at all.

Chris

Chris,

You are mostly right and I agree with you. But there are instances
that we most educate to the most educated first, in this case, the
western visitors. As a Cambodian-Canadian, I cannot stand men
attitudes toward women overthere. I find many of them are just
discussed when it comes to treating women or children of opposite sex.
However, that being said, I would absolutely encourage westerners who
are supposed to be more civilized to make sure that they are civilized
before they put their arms or fingures pointing others who are
obviously less fortunate. Human rights are protected if you who cliam
to be one practice it.

Cheers,

Icheck
Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:31 PM
six-toes

from what i have seen on BBC news reports things are far worse there
than anywhere else as the children used by pedos are so young .
looks like mr glitter will have to find another bolt hole soon ...

Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:14 PM
PeterL

Chris Blunt wrote:

Its reasonable to assume that the vast majority of offenders would be
Cambodian since they make up all but a very tiny proportion of the
population.

by your "reasoning" we can assume that the vast majority of happy pizza
consumed on sisowath quay is consumed by cambodians... my gut instinct
tells me this is idiotic... but, hey, assume away...

Of course not, but your comparison is invalid because Happy Pizza is a
business that few locals would be likely to visit because of its
relatively high prices.

We are talking about child porn as a business. They are not giving locals a
discount.

Child sexual abuse is not something carried
out by any particular economic, social or racial group.

Certainly economic group. E.g. those who can afford to pay for it. That
is, not locals.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:35 PM
JosephP

Chris Blunt wrote:

Its reasonable to assume that the vast majority of offenders would be
Cambodian since they make up all but a very tiny proportion of the
population.

by your "reasoning" we can assume that the vast majority of happy pizza
consumed on sisowath quay is consumed by cambodians... my gut instinct
tells me this is idiotic... but, hey, assume away...

Of course not, but your comparison is invalid because Happy Pizza is a
business that few locals would be likely to visit because of its
relatively high prices.

We are talking about child porn as a business. They are not giving locals

discount.

Child sexual abuse is not something carried
out by any particular economic, social or racial group.

Certainly economic group. E.g. those who can afford to pay for it. That
is, not locals.

There is an important economic fact:
The influx of big dollars for demand drives up supply.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 09:44 PM
Tebojockey

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:42:30 -0800 (PST), Citrus Flavor
wrote:

Xtile wrote:
six-toes wrote:
PHNOM PENH,

Cambodia Cambodian officials are talking about ways to stop foreigners
from coming to their country to have sex with children.

They could start by arresting the pimps....but....wait....the pimps are
government people, army people, hmmm......

Indeed. And if you read the AFP wire story ( http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._050228070410a )
there's also this quote:

"They will be looking at how the private sector, NGOs, embassies and
the government can work together better, particularly in providing
information, (and) arresting and prosecuting Westerners," World Vision
country director Talmage Payne told reporters.

So again the phantom scourge of the 'Western Pedophile' will be the
focus of this latest effort, no matter that Westerners have always
been a vanishingly small part of the problem. Nevermind that far
and away the vast majority of pedophiles in Cambodia are either
themselves Cambodian or are Chinese, Taiwanese, or Japanese businessmen
or tourists. If the NGOs can identify the WHITE MAN as the problem
then they can more easily go to the WHITE COUNTRIES for funding for
their latest fleet of Landrovers (or some such), which is the ONLY
thing any of this is about.

It's a prime example of the hysterical NGO and the "protect the
children" cause du jure. Now every white person going there will be
the subject of self-appointed NGO overseers who will scream and shout
hysterically when the person goes anywhere near a strip club. It's
just a way to get noticed for the NGOs. Unfortunately for Cambodia,
the biggest threat really does come from the Asian business person and
sex tourist.

Have you ever noticed that anytime an NGO or the government, or indeed
anyone proselytizing about anything begins to lose their argument,
they turn to the old standby winner: "save the children!"?