safari in early august: kenia or tanzania?

Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:07 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default safari in early august: kenia or tanzania?

hi
my husband and i are planning to go to kenya or tanzania during the
first week of august, then to go for the second one to zanzibar.
we would like to contact a local travel agency to arrange a 7/8 days
safari, plus transport and accommodation in zanzibar.
it will be our first time in africa, any advice is so welcome

i suppose we have two options, before flying to zanzibar:
1 - we go to tanzania, kilimangiaro airport, and we visit serengeti and
ngorongoro parks.
2 - we fly to nairobi and visit nairobi park and masai mara.

-can anybody suggest me what area would be better, as far as it concerns
the most probable presence of animal and their migration?
-if we choose nr. 1, will we have enough time to go to tarangire and
lake manyara, too?
-if we choose nr. 2, what else would you suggest to visit?
-does anybody have any contact/experience with a local agency there?
-does anybody know any good place in zanzibar?

--
ciao
GiorgiaG
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:23 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message
pervinca wrote:

hi
my husband and i are planning to go to kenya or tanzania during the
first week of august, then to go for the second one to zanzibar.
we would like to contact a local travel agency to arrange a 7/8 days
safari, plus transport and accommodation in zanzibar.
it will be our first time in africa, any advice is so welcome

i suppose we have two options, before flying to zanzibar:
1 - we go to tanzania, kilimangiaro airport, and we visit serengeti and
ngorongoro parks.
2 - we fly to nairobi and visit nairobi park and masai mara.

-can anybody suggest me what area would be better, as far as it concerns
the most probable presence of animal and their migration?

In August, the Mara would be the better option.

-if we choose nr. 1, will we have enough time to go to tarangire and
lake manyara, too?

In theory yes, but I don't recommend it.
If you choose only to safari for a week, you don't want to spend all
your time travelling from place to place, you want to be watching the
animals. Tarangire and Manyara are great places, but you need at least
12 days to sensibly visit all four reserves, preferably four.

-if we choose nr. 2, what else would you suggest to visit?

Serengeti is huge. We spend six nights there and could easily have
spent longer.
We spent two full days in Ngorongoro, and didn't get to all parts of
the caldera even once!

-does anybody have any contact/experience with a local agency there?

Not recently, but we used Leopard Tours and would probably do so
again, unless we could find a way of going with our driver from our Tz
trip and getting insured. (He's now got his own company, I hear.)

-does anybody know any good place in zanzibar?

What's your interest/budget?
Is there any way you can increase your safari time? Two weeks safari
and 4-7 days in Zanzibar might be a better balance, and maybe consider
putting Zanzibar at the beginning of the trip.

Safari njema

Liz

--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message I wrote:

Tarangire and Manyara are great places, but you need at least
12 days to sensibly visit all four reserves, preferably four.

^^^^ 14!

Slainte

Liz

Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:11 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Not the best of timing to be in the midst of the migration..
The animals are up in the northern Serengeti (usually)
just considering the idea of crossing into Kenya.
(Should we? Shouldn't we?) Watch wildebeest.
you can see them thinking, as much as they can.

I suggest the Masai Mara, Keekorok Lodge. Not costly,
good location for the migration entering Kenya.
http://www.africa-wildlife-safari.com is the operator
I suggest.. the home office of Wildlife Safari.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:51 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:23:37 GMT, Liz wrote:

Is there any way you can increase your safari time? Two weeks safari
and 4-7 days in Zanzibar might be a better balance, and maybe consider
putting Zanzibar at the beginning of the trip.

I can only agree with Liz. How about dropping Zanzibar
altogether?

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Dave Patterson writes ...

I suggest the Masai Mara, Keekorok Lodge. Not costly,
good location for the migration entering Kenya.

Dave,

I went to your web site recently and was going to ask you some Q's
about booking a trip to Kenya but it looks like your site has 'gone
corporate' and that you may have sold the name ... are you out of the
tour booking business now?

Bill

Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Liz wrote:
In message
pervinca wrote:
-can anybody suggest me what area would be better, as far as it concerns
the most probable presence of animal and their migration?

In August, the Mara would be the better option.

if we fly to nairobi and visit mara, what would you suggest: to cross
the border and visit serengeti - as dave suggested - or to go to amboseli?

-does anybody have any contact/experience with a local agency there?

Not recently, but we used Leopard Tours and would probably do so
again, unless we could find a way of going with our driver from our Tz
trip and getting insured. (He's now got his own company, I hear.)

-does anybody know any good place in zanzibar?

What's your interest/budget?

we would like to rest and enjoy the beaches, and to explore the island
with short trips. i'd love to go to pemba, too.
experiencing local good food will be a priority

Is there any way you can increase your safari time? Two weeks safari
and 4-7 days in Zanzibar might be a better balance,

in that case, would you rather suggest to visit: mara + serengeti +
ngorongoro, or serengeti + ngorongoro + manyara + tarangire?

and maybe consider
putting Zanzibar at the beginning of the trip.

why? i thought safari is tiring, it is better to rest afterwards...

Safari njema

thanks a lot liz, i was hoping you were going to answer after having
googled a bit
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:23:37 GMT, Liz wrote:
Is there any way you can increase your safari time? Two weeks safari
and 4-7 days in Zanzibar might be a better balance, and maybe consider
putting Zanzibar at the beginning of the trip.

I can only agree with Liz. How about dropping Zanzibar
altogether?

in that case my husband would drop *me* in the ocean
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:46 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

pervinca wrote:
Liz wrote:

In message
pervinca wrote:

-does anybody know any good place in zanzibar?

What's your interest/budget?

sorry, i forgot the budget.
actually i have no idea, but we'd like a very nice place, with some kind
of atmosphere. let's say something like a four stars charming hotel.
thanks again
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Dave Patterson wrote:
Not the best of timing to be in the midst of the migration..

i know

The animals are up in the northern Serengeti (usually)
just considering the idea of crossing into Kenya.

is it possible?

I suggest the Masai Mara, Keekorok Lodge. Not costly,
good location for the migration entering Kenya.

great

http://www.africa-wildlife-safari.com is the operator
I suggest.. the home office of Wildlife Safari.

i downloaded the brochure this morning, i'll soon have look, thanks.