What is the best way to experience a European vacation?

Old April 13th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Bill Smith

Default What is the best way to experience a European vacation?

John Navas wrote:
Price is no object.

Well, lucky old you, then!
Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly?
What's the purpose of the vacation, to relax, or to see some of Europe?
Have you no country/regional preferences? - There's no such place as
Britain, or France, or Germany, as every country has interesting,
different, cities and rural/"scenic" areas, all with their individual
characteristics and attractions.
A cruise would be relaxing for many, but not for me - the idea of being
cooped up in a boat, however well-provided with facilities and
entertainment, and "let out' once in a while for a quick dash round a
seaport I didn't personally choose would be hell! Most docks are like
most other docks, and from the brochures I've read you'd not have a lot
of time to experience "Europe".
Your alternative to a cruise sounds uncomfortably like the stereotypical
"if it's Tuesday this must be Rome" jaunt. Why not choose an interesting
(for you) destination, or two, or even three, but not more - 17 days
doesn't allow much "experiencing" - and come back next year if you
enjoyed this trip.
Use some of your unlimited funds and buy some books, choose your
destinations with care, and then fly to Europe (where's that??) and
drive or take the train to see your chosen bits.

btw, is Frank ess *real*? Suspect it should be "ass" - or else his
humour is way above me.