need help athens,greece airport hotel

Old May 21st, 2004, 11:11 AM
nan

Default need help athens,greece airport hotel

I used various hotel booking site but could only find one very close
and it was very expensive-$250+.We have a 6am flight and am not sure
about staying in city and getting a cab at 2-3am...Anyone very
familar with greece and what our best option would be.Also what is
you favorite booking site for hotels-international--easy to use
organizes by price location stars etc//Thanks so much nan
Old May 21st, 2004, 11:53 AM
Eileen Garland

Try http://www.tripadvisor.com/ - they have excellent reviews of hotels
and a price-comparison engine.

Never been to Greece, but used allrez.com to book a hotel in Amsterdam
last year and was very pleased with the results.

Eileen

Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:12 PM
a.a.t.

Nan, you are asking about the hotel at Athens International Airport?
You probably are referring to the SOFITEL, it is the only hotel right
at the new airport.......and it is a very fine one, luxury class. No,
for Athens, the price of $250 is not expensive for luxury class....this
summer the typical luxury class such as the newly renovated Hilton, and
Grande Bretagne are starting out at about $450 and up.....

Yes, you can find less expensive hotels in central
Athens.......BUT......let's say you get a less expensive, but still good
quality hotel for about $175 ..........now, you have to add on the taxi
fare both going to it and again back to the airport.

The taxi will cost you about 25 Euros minimum, about $30 each way (you
pay an additional fee for each piece of luggage and also during late
hours, a "night" supplement )......so if you add on that additional
sixty plus dollars to your $175,,,,,,well you are not saving that
much....plus you need an additional hour to get down to the central
hotel and an hour to get back to the airport........less rest for
you......

Taxis are plentiful in Athens.....unless, and it pains me to say
this......unless they are on strike or work stoppage.....which happens
all too often............

If you can manage it, I still would recommend the SOFITEL at the
airport....

Hope your trip is a good one........ANGELICA