Looking for suggestions on where to go in Mexico

Old October 24th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Default Looking for suggestions on where to go in Mexico

My wife and I have been to the Cancun area 2 times, once in the hotel
and another time at a more secluded resort between Playa Del Carmen
and Tulum.

We are wanting to go somewhere difference that is a little less
commercialized but still has a nice beach. We are thinking of Puerto
Vallarta or Guayabidos (sp?) but are worried that we might be upset at
the beaches on the west coast.

We'd also like to experience more of the Mexican town/culture
experience that you don't get in the Cancun.

Any suggestions for us??

Thanks.
Old October 24th, 2003, 03:32 PM
cb

Compared to Cancun, the beaches on the West Coast of Mexico will be a
disappointment. Nothing can match the turquoise blue waters and powdery sand
of the Yucatan peninsula. Just set your expectations properly. I personally
would recommend Ixtapa-Ziahuatanejo. Ixtapa is just like Cancun and has been
designed by the same FONATUR group that did Cancun with the typical row of
hotels and restaurants like the Zona Hotelera, which makes you oblvious to
the fact that you're even in Mexico. Ziahuatanejo, on the other hand, is a
small sleepy fishing village that should provide a taste of the Mexican
culture that you desire.

Old October 24th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Drew Shuller

I second cb's comments on the beaches on the West Coast. If you want water
like the Caribbean, then you'll have to go to the Caribbean.

That being said, the beaches and water on the West Coast of Mexico are
usually very nice, and I tend to prefer them because of the wave action.
Also, the surroundings are different. Where Cancun is flat, the West Coast
has hills and mountains, sometimes even coming straight down to the water.
There's also a lot more vegetation, except for Cabo, which is very dry. I've
snorkeled in the Pacific...it won't be like Coz but it's still great.

If you choose PV, you might be disappointed with the beaches that are
accessible from PV itself. You generally have to travel either north or
south along the bay before you get to nicer beaches, some of them very
secluded, accessible only by boat. My favorite is Sayulita. Google it for
photos and places to stay. Very small, very nice. PV itself is a great town
with plenty of places to stay for every price level. You can't go wrong
there. It is supposed to be the ideal merging of tourist culture and Mexican
culture.

Cabo San Lucas, at the tip of the Baja, is entirely different than
destinations on the West Coast. Still has hills and mountains, but it's a
desert without a lot of vegetation. Very dramatic scenery as Cabo seems like
a desert surrounded by nice cool azure water. Could be a little more
expensive than other places, but I like Cabo very much. Highly recommended.
Lots of LA people go there because they get great package deals, like Texans
going to Cancun.

Otherwise, I've read that Puerto Escondito isn't highly developed yet, and I
would imagine that the biggest financial hurdle would be the airfare.

If you want even MORE of the Mexican West Coast, consider Costa Rica. More
mountains, more waves, more jungle, and most places on the coast have a lot
more of the Latin American/Small Town culture that you're looking for.

Drew
Austin, TX

Old October 25th, 2003, 02:45 AM
Crash

Default Try Ixtapa

wrote in message
My wife and I have been to the Cancun area 2 times, once in the hotel
and another time at a more secluded resort between Playa Del Carmen
and Tulum.

We are wanting to go somewhere difference that is a little less
commercialized but still has a nice beach. We are thinking of Puerto
Vallarta or Guayabidos (sp?) but are worried that we might be upset at
the beaches on the west coast.

We'd also like to experience more of the Mexican town/culture
experience that you don't get in the Cancun.

I've been to Puerto Vallarta and Ixtapa. Ixtapa was much, much better. The
beach in Ixtapa was great. The sand was nice. It was clean and there was a
lot of it. Also the bottom underneath the water was smooth sand. In P.V.
the bottom under the water was rocky. The P.V. beach was not fun to swim
in. There were more solicitors on the P.V. beach. You were confronted with
poverty much more often in P.V. than Ixtapa. Ixtapa is simply a higher
class resort area.

Old October 25th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Da Parrot-chick

"Crash" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

Just to the north of Ixtapa is the town of Zihuatenejo. It's also a lovely
beach town with world-class beaches, but is much less developed and
commercialized than Ixtapa. And to the north of Zee-wah is the tiny village
of Troncones which is a place you can really get away from it all.

Old October 25th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Susette405

Cabo San Lucas... very pretty and not overly commercial YEt
Susette
Join us on our Annual Group Cruise 29Nov03 Navigator of the Seas
Check out our new website: www.cruiseoutlets.com