easycar Ts & Cs - AVOID !

Old September 20th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Nick Fisher

Default easycar Ts & Cs - AVOID !

Just to let you know that I rented from easycar last night and they have put
in 3 new Ts & Cs which IMO are a complete scam. See
http://www.easygroup.co.uk/easyCar/e...ials/main.html for full
details, but in summary:

They take a deposit of 50 pounds (80 euro) which is fair enough, BUT:

1. Firstly, they used to refund the deposit automatically (albeit _very_
slowly). Now you have to claim it back from them within 3 days of finishing
the rental or else you don't get it back.

2. Secondly, they used to charge you a 10 pounds cleaning fee if you
returned the car dirty - again fair enough for a low cost operator. Now
however, they take the fee up front and it's on you to prove that the car is
clean on return if you want the fee back.

3. Finally, you can no longer pay for excess mileage on returning the car.
Now you have to estimate how much further than 75 miles a day you're going
to drive, then pay in advance. But the real killer is that if you get your
sums wrong, and go even 1 mile over your estimate, then they get to keep all
of your deposit !!!!!

If Stelios can explain how this does not all add up to a rip-off and a scam,
I'll eat my hat !

Nick

Old September 20th, 2003, 10:02 AM
bigbrian

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:11:27 +0100, "Nick Fisher"
wrote:

[...]

And if you're short of the excess mileage that you've already bought,
you don't get the excess back either. I think this is outrageous. They
clearly don't want to rent cars to people who are likely to do more
than the 75 miles a day allowance.

Brian
Old September 20th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Nick Fisher" wrote in message

Blimey!

I'll stick to the full service rental companies, the prices they charge may
be daylight robbery but at least they are upfront about it!

Old September 20th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Mike

wrote:

[...]

By coincidence, I noticed the new terms and conditions on the website last
night. I don't know when they were introduced?

I certainly didn't like the look of them. I can only agree with the posts
above. Have used easycar successfully in the UK a number of times, but not
so sure in future.

Mike
www.alloverhotels.com

Old September 20th, 2003, 02:32 PM
bigbrian

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:03:40 GMT, "Mike"
wrote:

And if you're short of the excess mileage that you've already bought,
you don't get the excess back either. I think this is outrageous. They
clearly don't want to rent cars to people who are likely to do more
than the 75 miles a day allowance.

By coincidence, I noticed the new terms and conditions on the website last
night. I don't know when they were introduced?

I certainly didn't like the look of them. I can only agree with the posts
above. Have used easycar successfully in the UK a number of times, but not
so sure in future.

Mike
www.alloverhotels.com

They weren't in force when I rented from them in Glasgow at the
beginning of August

Brian
Old September 22nd, 2003, 09:37 AM
Reid©

Following up to Nick Fisher

2. Secondly, they used to charge you a 10 pounds cleaning fee if you
returned the car dirty - again fair enough for a low cost operator. Now
however, they take the fee up front and it's on you to prove that the car is
clean on return if you want the fee back.

this seems ridiculous to me, if I hire a car on holiday I don't
expect to have to go to a carwash, that's their job. I also don't
like the milage charges and I've never had so much hassle picking
up a car as with them. They insisted on seeing same credit card I
used for deposit via net. When I didn't have it *I* had to
reenter the detials on a PC, which ran at snail pace because of
all the other people doing the same. The depot was off airport
and the courtesy bus hadn't turned up after 30 minutes.
Fortunately one of the other people had the number of the head
office and made a fuss.
I thought they were completely useless and would never use them
again.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:38 AM
NightFire

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message ...
"Nick Fisher" wrote in message

Blimey!

I'll stick to the full service rental companies, the prices they charge may
be daylight robbery but at least they are upfront about it!

I haven't had my deposit returned yet after returning the car on Aug
15.
I was 7 miles over the limit and have an excess charge of just £1.40 ,
but these *******s still haven't returned the deposit. The new terms
and conditions certainly weren't in place when I made my booking back
in July.
I have submitted a final request for my deposit return before I
consider more serious action.

btw the only contact number for easy car is a 60p/min premium rate
line.

easy car is only worth it for bookings of long durations (a month)
made a long time in advance. for short bookings the hassle just isn't
worth it.