Can't fit economy - can't afford 1st

Old July 13th, 2004, 12:02 AM
James Boyk

Default Can't fit economy - can't afford 1st

Any suggestions for how I can fly (right now or at any time) from Los
Angeles to Europe for concert bookings---or to the Eastern U.S., for
that matter---given that I don't fit in economy-class seats and can't
afford 1st-class?

(Please don't tell me about greater leg-room. That's good, but not
remotely the whole issue. I can't fit in the economy seats. I'm a bit
over 6'6" tall, my seated height above a rigid seat is over 41", and my
weight is 250. Not fat, just big. And as you know, the airlines have no
legal obligation to accommodate all comers. Actually, even 1st-class
seat backs are too low for neck & head support.

I haven't flown for five years, since an Eastern University flew me
there in First to give a lecture-recital and a seminar.

Thanks.

James Boyk
Performance Recordings (R)
http://www.performancerecordings.com

Old July 13th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
James Boyk wrote:

Any suggestions for how I can fly (right now or at any time) from Los
Angeles to Europe for concert bookings---or to the Eastern U.S., for
that matter---given that I don't fit in economy-class seats and can't
afford 1st-class?

(Please don't tell me about greater leg-room. That's good, but not
remotely the whole issue. I can't fit in the economy seats. I'm a bit
over 6'6" tall, my seated height above a rigid seat is over 41", and my
weight is 250. Not fat, just big. And as you know, the airlines have no
legal obligation to accommodate all comers. Actually, even 1st-class
seat backs are too low for neck & head support.

I haven't flown for five years, since an Eastern University flew me
there in First to give a lecture-recital and a seminar.

business class sales. Continental has reputedly been offering them all
year. Other airlines tend to do so around turkey day and x'mas new year
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Brian

You could try to go with an airline that has a business class, they are a
bit more affordable. Other than that, I'm not sure what I can tell you other
than take first class or buy two economy seats (though it doesn't solve the
head room situation)

Old July 13th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

James Boyk wrote:

Any suggestions for how I can fly (right now or at any time) from Los
Angeles to Europe for concert bookings---or to the Eastern U.S., for
that matter---given that I don't fit in economy-class seats and can't
afford 1st-class?

Presumably you have looked into international business class? It's cheaper than
first, provides wider seats and more legrrom in the international leg, and a
domestic first class seat.

Old July 13th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Pete

Any suggestions for how I can fly (right now or at any time) from Los
Angeles to Europe for concert bookings---or to the Eastern U.S., for
that matter---given that I don't fit in economy-class seats and can't
afford 1st-class?

United and SAS (maybe other Star airlines) have a few rows of seats,
labeled Economy Plus, that give you something like 36" of seat pitch
instead of the steerage 31-32". You pay full coach fare, but 36" will
be enough to not touch the seat in front of you.
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1314,00.html

Pete

Old July 13th, 2004, 02:49 AM
James Robinson

James Boyk wrote:

Any suggestions for how I can fly (right now or at any time) from Los
Angeles to Europe for concert bookings---or to the Eastern U.S., for
that matter---given that I don't fit in economy-class seats and can't
afford 1st-class?

You can fly on airlines that have "Plus" or "Club" seats. These are
seats that are similar to business class, but have the same service as
economy. They are priced somewhat more than economy, but less than
business class. Airlines like British Airways and Virgin Atlantic have
these seats for the transatlantic portion.

Domestically, Spirit flies from Los Angeles to Detroit, and has this
type of seating. You can connect on them from Detroit to New York,
Atlantic City, and Washington, plus Florida cities. Once you are on the
east coast, you can take Amtrak to other destinations.

Airtran also has a business class that is fairly inexpensive. Early on,
they sell the seats for the same price as their advance reservation
economy.
Old July 13th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Mikko Peltoniemi wrote:

Business, or how would for example BA's Economy Plus do? Especially
seats where there is no seat in front of you.

IIRC, Economy Plus and Virgin's equivalent are the same economy seats with a bit
more leg room. Doesn't help with seat width. Exit row seats can be even worse as
they tend to have trays in the armrests which makes the seat a bit narrower.
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

James Robinson wrote:

You can fly on airlines that have "Plus" or "Club" seats. These are
seats that are similar to business class, but have the same service as
economy. They are priced somewhat more than economy, but less than
business class. Airlines like British Airways and Virgin Atlantic have
these seats for the transatlantic portion.

Learn something new every day. While Virgin does indeed offer a wider seat in
their plus section, the British Air seat is only 18.5" wide - no different than
their regular coach seat. The BA plus seat appears to have footrests and some
other ammenities that might make it a bit more comfortable. Both offer more leg
room over a cattle class seat.
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:19 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." 73115 dot 1041 at compuserve dot com wrote:

IIRC, Economy Plus and Virgin's equivalent are the same economy seats with a bit
more leg room. Doesn't help with seat width. Exit row seats can be even worse as
they tend to have trays in the armrests which makes the seat a bit narrower.

And as a followup to my own post, The Virgin economy+ seats are slightly wider
than their standard seats. BA's are not at 18.5"...